When Are You Upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Poll: When do you plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard?
Total Votes: 82
On Friday as soon as I can get my hands on the disc.
47
I’m waiting for a few days to see if there are any problems.
12
No way. I can’t risk breaking any of my apps.
3
I’ll wait a few weeks before upgrading.
14
I’ll get Snow Leopard when I buy my next Mac.
6
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 10:58 AM

    Mac OS X 10.6, or Snow Leopard, hits store shelves on Friday, August 28. When are you planning to upgrade?

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 11:12 AM #1

    As soon as I get it ... it won’t be Friday thanks to this thing called the Earth smile

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 11:14 AM #2

    I will probably get Snow Leopard with my next new Mac.

    The G4 won’t support it, and Tiger runs great on the MBP.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 11:18 AM #3

    After somebody else tries it and it doesn’t break CS4

    Signature

    “Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 11:19 AM #4

    Sir Harry Flashman - 26 August 2009 02:18 PM

    After somebody else tries it and it doesn’t break CS4

    you shouldn’t worry about that, Adobe said they won’t support CS3 on Snow Leopard /facepalm

         
  • Posted: 26 August 2009 11:25 AM #5

    As soon as my five copies get here….I’m waiting impatiently.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 11:32 AM #6

    Khaled - 26 August 2009 02:19 PM
    Sir Harry Flashman - 26 August 2009 02:18 PM

    After somebody else tries it and it doesn’t break CS4

    you shouldn’t worry about that, Adobe said they won’t support CS3 on Snow Leopard /facepalm

    I had problems with CS2 when I went upgraded to Leopard. Illustrator and PhotoShop was fine, but InDesign and Distiller would sometimes crash. It was getting close to the release of CS4 so I opted to ride out the storm and sail past CS3. I started doing page layout in Pages and found that it was a pretty good program with a lot of potential. I could still run CS2 on two older Macs running Tiger so I did any distilling of .ps files there. When it came to upgrade to CS4 and I took advantage of an offer from them to “up sell” and for the price of an upgrade I got a new activation key that did not require I deactivate CS2.

    UPDATE: I did some web searches on it this morning and Adobe says that CS4 should work fine with Snow Leopard. Link takes you to a PDF file.

    [ Edited: 26 August 2009 01:09 PM by Lee Dronick ]

    Signature

    “Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

         
  • Posted: 26 August 2009 12:07 PM #7

    I’ve pre-ordered the family pack but won’t load until next week when everyone says there is no problem, coward that I am.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 12:35 PM #8

    I ordered it this morning. As soon as it gets here I’ll lock the doors, turn off the TV, shut off the phone and see what happens.

    Signature

    Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

         
  • Posted: 26 August 2009 12:50 PM #9

    My family pack purchase notification indicates Snow Leopard should be delivered on Friday. I’ll be busy installing Snow Leopard throughout the weekend. I haven’t decided which Mac will be the “test” Mac before the full household installation.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 12:51 PM #10

    I have quite a bit of 3rd party Apps, some of which I already know will be affected such as Menu Meters. I’m going to wait for week then go out to the Apple Store and buy it. I’ll be sure to post any problems I may encounter with Apps and I hope other people will do the same.
    I really want to install as soon as I get it but I guess I could always go back if it breaks too many Apps. Does anyone know if you can restore back to 10.5.x from 10.6 from a TimeMachine backup without any major issues? Or is it too much of a difference that might require installing 10.5.x again?

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 02:21 PM #11

    I have two problems:
    There is no premium reseller anywhere near me, and of the two authorised resellers, Dick(head) Smith had no idea it was coming out before 5 Sep, and Hardly Norman thought it was Saturday.

    The second problem is how much to pay for it. I bought my iMac (shiny!) in June so I qualify for the discount - $NZ19. But I need a family pack to install it on my MBA as well. And that’s $NZ99. Or I could buy another copy for $NZ59: total $78. And then when I find a shop that is selling it, they’ll be all out of family packs and I’ll have to wait even longer for one to turn up.

    Snarl.

    Signature

    Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

    @LaurieFleming

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 03:56 PM #12

    Okay now that I am convinced that CS4 is compatible with it I have decided to upgrade to Snow Leopard. The question I have is which version should I get?

    Signature

    “Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 26 August 2009 06:44 PM #13

    You left out a choice for those of us who’ve already updated.

    Signature

    Dan
    ——————————————————————————
    I live in my own little world. But it’s OK… they know me here.

         
  • Posted: 26 August 2009 07:00 PM #14

    I have questions about Boot camp and SL.  Presently I dual boot between XP and Leopard.  I don’t know if both partitions will survive the upgrade?

         
  • Posted: 26 August 2009 09:44 PM #15

    I’m going for it.  As soon as it arrives.

    Signature

    My other hobby:  http://geokost.zenfolio.com/

    Go Razorbacks!!! Love them HOGS, Wooo, Pig, Soooie!!!