When Are You Upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Poll: When do you plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard?
Total Votes: 82
On Friday as soon as I can get my hands on the disc.
47
I’m waiting for a few days to see if there are any problems.
12
No way. I can’t risk breaking any of my apps.
3
I’ll wait a few weeks before upgrading.
14
I’ll get Snow Leopard when I buy my next Mac.
6
  • Posted: 26 August 2009 11:16 PM #16

    Sir Harry Flashman - 26 August 2009 06:56 PM

    Okay now that I am convinced that CS4 is compatible with it I have decided to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

    That’s good to know.  grin

    I’m using CS4 for a number of projects.

    [ Edited: 27 August 2009 01:04 AM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Avatar

    Posted: 27 August 2009 12:21 AM #17

    I will get the family pack..and upgrade my machine before I push it to my families macs.  I tend to be the “IT GUY” for the family and extended family… so a bit of testing for me then push it to others.

    But I am excited about it - even the british seem to like it.. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/25/preview_os_apple_snow_leopard/

         
  • Posted: 27 August 2009 08:26 AM #18

    My order on the Apple Store says mine is due for delivery Friday.  I’ll install it that evening.  Time Machine guarantees backup and easy transfer of data, so no worries there…

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 27 August 2009 11:13 AM #19

    Khaled - 26 August 2009 02:19 PM
    Sir Harry Flashman - 26 August 2009 02:18 PM

    After somebody else tries it and it doesn’t break CS4

    you shouldn’t worry about that, Adobe said they won’t support CS3 on Snow Leopard /facepalm

    I pretty much live in the CS4 apps, so I’ll be banging really hard on them after I install Snow Leopard on Friday. I’ll be sure to let everyone know about any problems I encounter.

    Jeff

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 27 August 2009 12:17 PM #20

    AlaskaBoy - 26 August 2009 03:07 PM

    ... won’t load until next week when everyone says there is no problem, coward that I am.

    From Miami to Alaska, I’m with you, man. I pre-ordered through Amazon. I’ll defer installing until at least 10.6.1. I want to get at least a first round of (hopefully minor) fixes out of the way, and check around to see if anyone reports any issues with my most significant apps/extensions. Who knows, I may find that update already available by the time my discs arrive next week.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 27 August 2009 08:07 PM #21

    I don’t know whether to be pleased or creeped out. After tweeting a couple of days ago about a local store’s sales jockies not being sure about when Snow Leopard wS coming out, I got a tweet from the store’s Australian HQ saying that it should be available from lunchtime. That’s an hour from now.

    Signature

    Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

    @LaurieFleming

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 28 August 2009 05:26 PM #22

    Since Apple chose to stop supporting PowerPC, it’ll have to wait until I get a new Mac.  And who knows when that’ll be.  Hell, it might not be until the next OS release.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 28 August 2009 09:34 PM #23

    mrhooks - 28 August 2009 08:26 PM

    Since Apple chose to stop supporting PowerPC, it’ll have to wait until I get a new Mac.  And who knows when that’ll be.  Hell, it might not be until the next OS release.

    My mom has a white G5 iMac and she was disappointed to hear that 10.6 was Intel-only. But she has a 19” LCD screen from her (now unused) PC (which she refuses to connect to the iMac - don’t ask) so maybe I’ll get her a Mac Mini and a copy of Parallels for Xmas.

    As for me, I ordered a copy for my iMac ... especially after reading that I can jump from 10.4 to 10.6 for that same $29. wink

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 29 August 2009 02:11 AM #24

    BakedAlaska - 29 August 2009 12:34 AM

    especially after reading that I can jump from 10.4 to 10.6 for that same $29. wink

    Not according to Apple. $29 is from 10.5 to 10.6.

    Signature

    Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

         
  • Posted: 29 August 2009 03:33 AM #25

    When am I upgrading? Now!  :-D

         
  • Posted: 29 August 2009 03:36 AM #26

    Jeff Gamet - 27 August 2009 02:13 PM
    Khaled - 26 August 2009 02:19 PM
    Sir Harry Flashman - 26 August 2009 02:18 PM

    After somebody else tries it and it doesn’t break CS4

    you shouldn’t worry about that, Adobe said they won’t support CS3 on Snow Leopard /facepalm

    I pretty much live in the CS4 apps, so I’ll be banging really hard on them after I install Snow Leopard on Friday. I’ll be sure to let everyone know about any problems I encounter.

    Jeff

    No CS4 problems so far.  grin

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 29 August 2009 07:14 AM #27

    Intruder - 29 August 2009 05:11 AM
    BakedAlaska - 29 August 2009 12:34 AM

    especially after reading that I can jump from 10.4 to 10.6 for that same $29. wink

    Not according to Apple. $29 is from 10.5 to 10.6.

    http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

    > “But heres a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade
    > will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the
    > extra $140.”

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 29 August 2009 01:55 PM #28

    That, however, is in violation of the EULA.

    http://gizmodo.com/5346546/mossberg-recommends-illegal-use-of-snow-leopard-install-disc

    Whether you agree with it or not, that is what is in the EULA.

    Signature

    Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 29 August 2009 02:41 PM #29

    Maybe, maybe not. Nevertheless, I was completely accurate in stating that this is possible to do with the install disk. smile

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 29 August 2009 06:30 PM #30

    BakedAlaska - 29 August 2009 05:41 PM

    Maybe, maybe not. Nevertheless, I was completely accurate in stating that this is possible to do with the install disk. smile

    I don’t think there’s much to “maybe” about here.  It’s technically possible, that’s been proven many times over, and reported a plenty. However, the EULA is crystal clear: Snow Leopard’s $29 upgrade only permits you to install if you have a Leopard (10.5) license for that machine.  This is just like the family plan pricing vs. single install: you could (technically) just as easily buy the single install and put it on 5 (or 500) computers but, again, the EULA doesn’t permit that.

    It’s a situation where legal and technical allowances are not in line and, let me tell you, this is not something you want to encourage Apple to change.  If enough people violate this (and presuming Apple cares, and with Snow Leopard they may not), it will give Apple reason to start instituting a serial number procedure.  That would suck.

    So… consider this before encouraging the world to break the law on this one, please. wink I wish Walt Mossberg had. He’s been an idiot on this one.

    Signature

    -Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.