Best book RE: UNIX on Mac

• Posted: 26 August 2009 04:51 PM

I am looking for a good book on UNIX on the Mac. There are two that seem to be consistently recommended, ?A Practical Guide to UNIX for Mac OS X Users? by Mark Sobell and Peter Seebach and Mac OS X for UNIX Geeks Version 4. Would welcome any recommendations not to mention any first hand feedback from any of you who have either of these books. The one concern I have regarding the Mark Sobell book is that it appears to be written for 10.4. will that be much of an issue?

• Posted: 26 August 2009 09:53 PM #1

macunix - 26 August 2009 07:51 PM

I am looking for a good book on UNIX on the Mac. There are two that seem to be consistently recommended, ?A Practical Guide to UNIX for Mac OS X Users? by Mark Sobell and Peter Seebach and Mac OS X for UNIX Geeks Version 4. Would welcome any recommendations not to mention any first hand feedback from any of you who have either of these books. The one concern I have regarding the Mark Sobell book is that it appears to be written for 10.4. will that be much of an issue?

I am running OS X 10.5.8, but have picked up and been reading Mark Sobell’s book.  It still has a wealth of good information in it that still applies.

I have not looked at the second one mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Signature

My other hobby:  http://geokost.zenfolio.com/

Go Razorbacks!!! Love them HOGS, Wooo, Pig, Soooie!!!

• Posted: 27 August 2009 01:25 AM #2

Glad to hear that you like that book. I have used UNIX Power Tools, UNIX System Administration - by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, and Hein, and O’Reilly’s Essential System Administration as my reference books. The other book mentioned above is an O’Reilly book. This will be my first Mac in over ten years, and I would like to make sure I understand the ins and outs as well as the differences between OS X and UNIX/Linux. Its a bit of hard time to be buying reference books as idealy I would like to be getting books that are up to date re: Snow Leopard.