What’s working in Snow Leopard? Or not?

Posted: 27 August 2009 09:43 PM

Thursday night in the U.S.: Lucky Mac fans in Australia, Asia, etc. may already have 10.6 installed. Be the first to tell us in the western hemisphere: Who has Apple’s next fine feline up and running? What apps and extensions work fine? What doesn’t? Any other input you want to share?

Please be sure to specify your Mac configuration (model, RAM, etc.) and anything else that may have a significant effect on your SL performance.

Image Attachments

sl.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Posted: 28 August 2009 03:31 PM #1

Two websites for reference:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ 
    (LOTS of info)

Any others you know of?

Posted: 29 August 2009 06:37 PM #2

I’m happy to report that HP Scan for my Laserjet 3055 seems to be working totally fine (at least via the Network option) in Snow Leopard.  This is after it took almost a year for Leopard compatibility.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 31 August 2009 02:46 AM #3

I’ve had a couple minor glitches but nothing major, and nothing is broken. It seems good considering that a lot has changed under the hood, as there are new APIs, a new Finder, etc.

I’ve installed it on a couple work computers, but my main home machine with SL is a Mac mini, 4GB RAM, 9400M graphics.

[ Edited: 31 August 2009 02:49 AM by David Nelson ]      

Posted: 01 September 2009 02:14 PM #4

The only application that SL prevents me from using - out of my regularly used applications - is the beta version of Safari 4.  Personally, I like the beta version more than the final release.  Obviously this is not that big of a deal.  Everything else seems fine.

The only issue (?) that I am seeing is during boot up, the menu bar doesn’t show itself until well into the boot process.  What’s more, I can see the outline for the Spotlight magnifying glass icon while the menu bar is absent.  I’m not sure if others experience this or not…  I’m running a MacBook Air, btw. 

I’m not too sure I like the new sub menus when you right click on an icon in the dock along with its “expose” type effect when you initialize them…will take some getting used to.

[ Edited: 01 September 2009 02:17 PM by celticmagick ]

Signature

Macintosh:~ celticmagick$ sudo Mac > PC=True
    Macintosh:~ celticmagick$ killall Windows

Posted: 03 September 2009 11:33 AM #5

So far, I really like the speed increase from Snow Leopard. It’s noticeable in most places and profound in others. I also like some of the new features. (Yes, there are actually a number of new features, just not very easily marketable ones.) However, I have to call shenanigans on the idea that Snow Leopard is more stable than Leopard - or, at least, that it should make applications more stable. I have had a large number of application crashes since installing Snow Leopard.

Some of the apps that I have seen repeatedly crash are: Disk Utility, Automator, Handbrake (shhhhh!), Test Track Pro, QuickTime 7, and probably others. I understand that some of these are not fully compatible with Snow Leopard, but QuickTime 7, Disk Utility, and Automator are Apple apps installed with the OS. So, I’m curious as to why thy are so crash-prone.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 10 September 2009 09:27 AM #6

So far no major problems, save the loss of Menumeters, which was expected. the Dashboard is working far better than before - under Leopard it was almost unusable, as it took 3-4 minutes before I could use anything. Besides the speed increase, I like the little tweaks, like the disks on the desktop displaying more info. Very cool so far!

Posted: 20 September 2009 11:21 AM #7

Menumeters had been updated to work in SL.

Unfortunately I am perplexed at the slowness of the 10.6 Finder on my Xenon 8/core Mac Pro compared to 10.5.  There are half second delays to many Finder operations such as throwing in the trash or the Dock unhiding.  Also a big neg for me is the fact that in Leopard you could select a file/files in a finder window that was not in the foreground, bypassing the extra click to bring a finder window to the foreground.  This is lost in SL.  Anyone else having these experiences?

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 21 September 2009 09:58 AM #8

MacInTouch has an exhaustive list online which is updated regularly. Check it out here.

Signature

Early 2009 24” iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 640 GB hard drive, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
    Canon EOS 50D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro