Macbook Pro Battery

• Posted: 28 August 2009 12:34 AM

What is the best way to preserve battery life on a macbook pro. Let it drain and recharge, leave it plugged in all the time? Or shut it down when done for the day?

Thanks…

Posted: 28 August 2009 03:16 PM #1

I leave my MBP (it’s got a removable battery) plugged in all the time - which isn’t Apple’s recommended procedure.

I’d suggest the monthly battery conditioning described in http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html - essentially unplugging the MBP and using it on battery until the battery warning that the MBP is going to turn off, and then quitting all apps and letting the MBP turn off by itself. Then plug the MBP on power and recharge normally. Here’s another link re: battery conditioning

.. time to condition my battery ..

Signature

—Kirschen / macgeekette / aviatrix / software engineerkirschen on twitter

Posted: 28 August 2009 03:40 PM #2

Leaving it plugged in 100% of the time for months on end will almost certainly serve to give your battery an untimely death (or at least diminished capacity).

That said, each batter only has a fixed number of full cycles. Removable batteries usually clock in at about 300-400 before they start their degradation path.  Apple says the fixed batteries in the new portables can go 1000 before they start down the path of failure.

I do tend to leave my computer plugged in all the time (or at least on my desk).  I try about twice/month to let it completely drain and charge back up.  So far, that’s served me well (and I’ve paid the price when I *don’t* stick to that regimen!).

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 24 November 2009 01:32 PM #3

Hi there! I thought I heard on one of the podcasts recently that if you have a flat battery and it isn’t charging you can have it repaired, is this right?
    Unfortunatly I have not followed the correct procedure with my battery in my macbook pro, I have not let it run down at least once a month. I keep my MBP plugged in all the time. My battery has only completed 14 cycles counts in 2 and a half years since I got my MBP. Am I gonna need a new battery? Thanks for your help!

Posted: 24 November 2009 01:35 PM #4

denisejc - 24 November 2009 05:32 PM

Hi there! I thought I heard on one of the podcasts recently that if you have a flat battery and it isn’t charging you can have it repaired, is this right?
    Unfortunatly I have not followed the correct procedure with my battery in my macbook pro, I have not let it run down at least once a month. I keep my MBP plugged in all the time. My battery has only completed 14 cycles counts in 2 and a half years since I got my MBP. Am I gonna need a new battery? Thanks for your help!

If you’re under AppleCare and your battery’s not holding a charge with only 14 cycles, you’re almost certainly a candidate for replacement. Give ‘em a call and tell them what’s up.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 24 November 2009 06:30 PM #5

OK thanks,  I will tell them. I’m just out of my apple care though unfortunately!