Snow Leapord…,Nice Kitty

• Posted: 28 August 2009 11:51 PM

Easiest and most trouble free OSX install to date.  Fast…Faster…,Fastest.  smile
    No problems so far.  How’s yours going?

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 29 August 2009 01:07 AM #1

My box arrived today. Nice box. Know it’s time to see what’s inside!

I’ll be doing five installs (Family Pack) this weekend.

Posted: 29 August 2009 01:07 AM #2

Purr-fect.

Bought the box set so I could upgrade to iLife and iWork ‘09. Took about 45 min to install SL, and another 20 min for the rest. Working great.

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:31 AM #3

Just finished the first upgrade and I’m now downloading some associated updates. The look of the the new OS is impressive.

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:52 AM #4

Snappy… My first user impression impression is this new OS is much snappier than Leopard.

CS4 appears to be working just fine.  grin

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:54 AM #5

I’m now testing Time Machine…

Posted: 29 August 2009 10:34 AM #6

DawnTreader - 29 August 2009 05:54 AM

I’m now testing Time Machine…

I’m postponing using time machine until I get a few days under my belt. . .just want to make sure there are no serious issues with 10.6.  :wink:

edit:  But real easy install. . .and no problems so far.  Albeit, I left to coach some HS girl’s volleyball almost immediately after the install so I will take a more thorough look today. grin

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 August 2009 11:51 AM #7

I won’t get my copy till next week (free upgrades get penalized by Apple). Can anyone report on printer and scanner driver problems, if any? I consulted Apple’s list of included printers, and noticed that of the three printers I own, Apple seems to imply that I will have to switch to Gimp Print under SL, rather than use the native drivers. My scanner will work since I can rely on VueScan, which is SL ready. Most of my shareware utilities have been Sl ready for over a month now.

• Posted: 29 August 2009 12:29 PM #8

willrob - 29 August 2009 02:51 PM

I won’t get my copy till next week (free upgrades get penalized by Apple). Can anyone report on printer and scanner driver problems, if any? I consulted Apple’s list of included printers, and noticed that of the three printers I own, Apple seems to imply that I will have to switch to Gimp Print under SL, rather than use the native drivers. My scanner will work since I can rely on VueScan, which is SL ready. Most of my shareware utilities have been Sl ready for over a month now.

I think it downloads latest drivers or appropriate drivers as required.
    From the “manual”:

Printer driver updates
    Plug in your printer, and Snow Leopard makes sure you have the most up-to-date printer driver. If not, it downloads the newest version.

[ Edited: 29 August 2009 12:34 PM by John Molloy ]

Signature

• Posted: 29 August 2009 01:15 PM #9

willrob - 29 August 2009 02:51 PM

Better make sure that you install Rosetta. That’s Epson’s (current) solution for a large number of their printers. Go to their site and read their FAQ page on Snow Leopard.

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:14 PM #10

Lots of Apple Epic Fail articles appearing over the weekend in response to the Snow Leopard release. Looks like Microsoft have brought out the big guns to say “nothing new here, move along”

For Example:

Snow Leopard proves no threat to Windows 7

and

Apple Snow Leopard Faces Windows 7 Fight

So based on this I suspect Microsoft must be worried enough to get their grass root astroturfers out in force.

Signature

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:31 PM #11

rattyuk - 29 August 2009 05:14 PM

Lots of Apple Epic Fail articles appearing over the weekend in response to the Snow Leopard release. Looks like Microsoft have brought out the big guns to say “nothing new here, move along”

For Example:

Snow Leopard proves no threat to Windows 7

and

Apple Snow Leopard Faces Windows 7 Fight

So based on this I suspect Microsoft must be worried enough to get their grass root astroturfers out in force.

Buried in the Information Week piece was this tidbit.

Libin agreed. “I was pretty down on Windows for a while. I got rid of my last Windows computer several years ago and upgraded the family to Macs. I got tired of doing tech support for my wife and family,” he said. But he bought a PC recently, and installed the pre-release Windows 7 on it. “It’s been surprisingly nice. I’m coming around to thinking that Microsoft is going to have a hit with Windows 7.”

No mention that he’ll be returning to Windows mind you…,just that Microsoft will have a hit…,which comparatively speaking is probably true.

Signature

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:37 PM #12

One of the technologies that was significantly re-engineered was quicktime.  I don’t know if it’s a placebo but my music seems to sound noticeably better.  Particularly the ability to detect individual instruments within the whole.

Signature

• Posted: 29 August 2009 02:40 PM #13

The above-referenced articles are written for the PC-using crowd. I’m not surprised by the articles nor their content.  Microsoft maintains a working monopoly in operating systems market and the articles are written with Windows users in mind.

Few of Apple’s retail customers read these publications and the content is written specifically for people interested in comparing and contrasting the two operating systems with the enterprise market in mind.

• Posted: 29 August 2009 11:36 PM #14

Snow Kitty finally fixed all the errors upon repairing permissions in disk utility.  Nice

No drama update.  Speed.  Inexpensive.  I think WS will have a greater appreciation for things Apple next week.

• Posted: 30 August 2009 08:32 AM #15

In the sense of altering the market dynamics I actually agree with the Microsoft “nothing to see here, move on” messages, but that equally applies to the release of Windows 7. Neither makes a major difference to the probability of switching. It’s a Windows monopoly, but the monopoly is essentially an XP monopoly which doesn’t just lock users in, it chains Microsoft to the past.

Even though Windows 7 will outsell Snow Leopard on a unit basis, Apple will have no difficulty transitioning the installed (Intel) base to Snow Leopard, whereas MS will probably never complete the transition of its installed base to Windows 7.

Imagine an MS W7 ad campaign targeted to Mac users: “Upgrade your Intel Mac to the Windows experience with new Windows 7”. Windows 7 is just a paint job on a monopoly. They will still be shipping XP “downgrades” for years (calling them W7 sales), whereas you can’t even buy Leopard for PowerPC any more.