Recommended podcast feed generator?

• Posted: 02 September 2009 04:34 PM

I’m looking for recommendations to create a feed for a podcast. After geeking out on looking at the XML tags, I realized that I need a solution that is (1) easy for me to use and also (2) usable by someone other than me.

I’ve tried podcastgen (long name = “Podcast Generator”) and have liked the fact that I can set it up on my own webserver and that it allows uploading and feed creation from a single, simple entry page. Also, it supports CSS and I hope to get into some customization to make the podcast page fit into the rest of the site.

Unfortunately, I can’t adjust the date when creating/editing items in podcastgen—which is a big deal because I have three months of almost daily recordings from a program and I would like some control over their dates.

Does anyone have either tips for adjusting the date in podcastgen or a similar program that they would recommend?

I’ve also looked at uploading the actual media files to one location and using a third-party website to create the XML feed. This adds more steps and would not be ideal. That said, if anyone has any favorites (specifically ones that facilitate changing the dates on feeds), please recommend.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.—I’m a noob to the forums, so please forgive my inability to have found this in a prior post if one exists.  I searched for a few terms but couldn’t find anything already in the forums.

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 08:06 AM by Intruder ]      

Posted: 03 September 2009 03:53 PM #1

There’s a program called Podcast Maker for the Mac at http://www.lemonzdream.com/podcastmaker/

There’s a free 30-day trial.

Posted: 06 September 2009 06:35 AM #2

Welcome to the forums, Jim, and thanks for such a helpful post being your first!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 08 September 2009 11:56 AM #3

Thanks, Jim in Buffalo, for the suggestion.  That looks like a great program that I may end up using if my original plan of a web-based program won’t work.

Unfortunately the organization isn’t a pure Mac environment and the task of posting a day’s show may fall to a different team member depending on the week.  As such, I’m really interested in finding a web-based program similar to Podcast Generator, but that allows me to change the dates on the items in the feed (rather than just using the date of creation).

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Posted: 08 September 2009 03:18 PM #4

You could certainly set up a PodPress site and that wouldn’t cost you anything but time.

If your hosting company has a built-in WordPress installer, putting up a PodPress site would be pretty easy.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podpress/

• Posted: 08 September 2009 03:29 PM #5

Jim in Buffalo - 08 September 2009 06:18 PM

You could certainly set up a PodPress site and that wouldn’t cost you anything but time.

If your hosting company has a built-in WordPress installer, putting up a PodPress site would be pretty easy.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podpress/

Now THAT looks like the flexible solution I was looking for. Thanks!