The Apple Upgrade Problem

Posted: 04 September 2009 02:06 PM

Deep down, when I stop to think about it, I know (or have otherwise convinced myself) that these purchases were worth it and that Apple’s ease of upgrade works almost exactly how it should. But my gut tells me that I’ve been ripped off. The “newness” cognitive jolt humans get is almost entirely absent. I don’t know if Apple is aware of this (I’d guess yes) and don’t know if it even matters to them (because, like I said, this is the way that it should work…and look at those sales figures), but it’s got to be having some small effect

It’s an interesting angle that it all works too well. I certainly can’t find many reasons to upgrade my 1st gen MacBook Pro quite yet (having already upgraded the hard drive), it still works as well as, if not better than when I first got it. There are things like battery life, the screen and the iPhone remove control wotsit, but the core of the computer - processors, memory - are pretty similar to the original and, what with OS upgrades like Snow Leopard which actually make the system faster (as Tiger did way back when) it does act as a slight disincentive.

What impact do the twin factors of a) levelling out of Moore’s law and b) maturation of an OS have on AAPL’s future sales?

(article via @gruber)

Signature

An AAPL a day keeps the doctor away

Posted: 04 September 2009 02:19 PM #1

Oranger - 04 September 2009 05:06 PM

Deep down, when I stop to think about it, I know (or have otherwise convinced myself) that these purchases were worth it and that Apple’s ease of upgrade works almost exactly how it should. But my gut tells me that I’ve been ripped off. The “newness” cognitive jolt humans get is almost entirely absent. I don’t know if Apple is aware of this (I’d guess yes) and don’t know if it even matters to them (because, like I said, this is the way that it should work…and look at those sales figures), but it’s got to be having some small effect

It’s an interesting angle that it all works too well. I certainly can’t find many reasons to upgrade my 1st gen MacBook Pro quite yet (having already upgraded the hard drive), it still works as well as, if not better than when I first got it. There are things like battery life, the screen and the iPhone remove control wotsit, but the core of the computer - processors, memory - are pretty similar to the original and, what with OS upgrades like Snow Leopard which actually make the system faster (as Tiger did way back when) it does act as a slight disincentive.

What impact do the twin factors of a) levelling out of Moore’s law and b) maturation of an OS have on AAPL’s future sales?

(article via @gruber)

Considering the low marketshare that Apple has, I’m not sure if it will have a huge effect. This phenomenon affects the PC market dramatically more. Further, I’m seeing more reluctance to purchase computers in the first place. The web/email/ etc are available on cell phones at a fraction of the total cost.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 04 September 2009 03:45 PM #2

Play Ultimate - 04 September 2009 05:19 PM
    Oranger - 04 September 2009 05:06 PM

(article via @gruber)

Considering the low marketshare that Apple has, I’m not sure if it will have a huge effect. This phenomenon affects the PC market dramatically more. Further, I’m seeing more reluctance to purchase computers in the first place. The web/email/ etc are available on cell phones at a fraction of the total cost.

I’m just fine when everything works as it should but faster and smoother.  Linked with the same story is another experience that didn’t go so well.  Were I Merlin I’d be just as upset but not as funny.

http://www.kungfugrippe.com/post/177715198/confessional

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 04 September 2009 04:02 PM #3

BillH - 04 September 2009 06:45 PM

[...]
    I’m just fine when everything works as it should but faster and smoother.  Linked with the same story is another experience that didn’t go so well.  Were I Merlin I’d be just as upset but not as funny.

One would think that a “power user” who depends upon his Mac for his livelihood would not upgrade to a new OS in the first week of its release.  This piece is either a tad disingenuous or utterly naive.

• Posted: 04 September 2009 04:35 PM #4

capablanca - 04 September 2009 07:02 PM
    BillH - 04 September 2009 06:45 PM

[...]

One would think that a “power user” who depends upon his Mac for his livelihood would not upgrade to a new OS in the first week of its release.  This piece is either a tad disingenuous or utterly naive.

Leo Laporte has this guy on his network from time to time.  Bright guy but we all have blind spots in our intelligence from time to time.  I’m truly not ragging on you capablanca but your take is exactly what he’s referring to in his rant.  He’s really not wrong when he comments about how defensive WE all are in our defense of Apple (if not AAPL).  Listening to TWIT last week really pissed me off but Leo had some legitimate points.  He was ripped by many nonetheless.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 04 September 2009 04:47 PM #5

Is that all there is? Then just keep dancing, break out the booze and have a ball, if that’s all,............ there is.

Cap, you nailed it. Whining isn’t a part of intelligent discourse. There is a lot of life out there I suggest the complainers go get one.

• Posted: 05 September 2009 02:12 PM #6

The faux arguments were created to fit the desired conclusion.

First, if the person didn’t see conspicuous enhancements from Snow Leopard there’s something wrong. I’m running five Macs that can handle Snow Leopard and each have demonstrated increased performance, smoother operation and and a very appealing desktop presentation. At $29 this product is a veritable steal.

I upgraded from an original iPhone to a 3GS in July. There’s no comparison. I sucked it up and bought AppleCare for the device because this thins has now become an essential device.

If the person spent $2,700 on a new MacBook Pro and doesn’t see a material improvement from the prior version, there’s nothing really to discuss.

Referring to Snow Leopard as Leopard Service Pack 1 indicates the author is either being disingenuous or is simply ignorant of its importance.

• Posted: 07 September 2009 02:45 PM #7

DawnTreader - 05 September 2009 05:12 PM

The faux arguments were created to fit the desired conclusion.

First, if the person didn’t see conspicuous enhancements from Snow Leopard there’s something wrong. I’m running five Macs that can handle Snow Leopard and each have demonstrated increased performance, smoother operation and and a very appealing desktop presentation. At $29 this product is a veritable steal.

I upgraded from an original iPhone to a 3GS in July. There’s no comparison. I sucked it up and bought AppleCare for the device because this thins has now become an essential device.

If the person spent $2,700 on a new MacBook Pro and doesn’t see a material improvement from the prior version, there’s nothing really to discuss.

As a ‘pro’ user surrounded by 12 Macs in my life I am unable to upgrade to Snow Leopard as the core app we use is Vectorworks. Vectorworks would have to be the core CAD app for the Mac and it will not have a working version until December. So I cannot buy new Macs until December when, hopefully, the core software I use will be upgraded to be compatible with the core OS that I use. How does this happen? Surely these things are coordinated between the the software developer and Apple. Isn’t this the whole point with the iPhone and SDK that it gets the two on a mutually agreeable path? Can it not be the same with their core product which is OSX (yeah I know the iPhone uses OSX too).

So unless our core app works the improvements in SL are theoretical.

P.S.  I can’t wait to upgrade to to SL, with its exchange bits and refined goodness grin

[ Edited: 07 September 2009 02:48 PM by benoir ]      
  • Posted: 16 September 2009 09:25 AM #8

LAST ENTRY SPAM DT

Signature