Slow and choppy Spaces

• Posted: 05 September 2009 04:57 PM

I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and all went well.  Apps work fine, no crashes etc. 

There’s one problem though - Spaces, stacks and anything else using animation is slow and choppy.  I’ve tried letting Snow Leopard upgrade my old Leopard install, and I’ve also tried a clean install (both with and without using Time Machine to pull everything back) with no luck.

On the plus side, Snow Leopard does give me a great way of showing everyone what I mean ! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIn-z8Wq_ro

I’ve had a search around and it seems I’m not the only one with the same problem. All kinds of machines suffer, so it’s not one model.

For what it’s worth my specs: Unibody MacBook, 2GHz with 2GB of RAM. I’m using an SSD too, though I doubt it’s related.

Anyone any ideas?

Signature

Posted: 06 September 2009 06:45 AM #1

Gut reaction is that if lots of folks are having issues, it’s probably a system-level issue.

Yeah, I know, that’s not overly helpful, but there you have it. smile

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 06 September 2009 04:35 PM #2

There’s no way to know without some kind of monitoring in place.

Install iStat Menus or Menumeters.  I have a feeling the disk was very active when you were switching Spaces.  Perhaps Spotlight was indexing?

-Lance

• Posted: 06 September 2009 05:19 PM #3

Yeah, just don’t like not knowing why something isn’t happening to everyone. wink
    I’m hearing on Twitter that the problem goes away if you run a video in the background, through iTunes for example.
    It’s almost like some acceleration isn’t getting turned on.

Signature

• Posted: 12 September 2009 09:43 PM #4

Seems to me that 10.6.1 has fixed this.

• Posted: 13 September 2009 02:44 PM #5

brokentry - 13 September 2009 12:43 AM

Seems to me that 10.6.1 has fixed this.

Really? Isn’t for me unfortunately :(

Signature

Posted: 28 October 2009 10:00 PM #6

I noticed in your video that you had quite a few applications open.  Not that it is a problem, per se, to have lots of apps open, but it does beg the question how much RAM do you have?

SL and Leopard both run best with at least 2 Gigs of RAM or more.  I strongly recommend 4Gigs if you can swing the cost.

Check how much free ram you have or just ram installed and I bet you are into swap..

• Posted: 29 October 2009 06:42 AM #7

UpQuark - 29 October 2009 01:00 AM

I noticed in your video that you had quite a few applications open.  Not that it is a problem, per se, to have lots of apps open, but it does beg the question how much RAM do you have?

SL and Leopard both run best with at least 2 Gigs of RAM or more.  I strongly recommend 4Gigs if you can swing the cost.

Check how much free ram you have or just ram installed and I bet you are into swap..

Hi

It’s a 2GB MacBook Unibody and it does the same with just Mail and Safari open.

Signature

Posted: 29 October 2009 08:09 AM #8

Hmmm, still sounds odd to me.. how many spaces do you have? The stock 4 or did you add more?

Do you see the slow down with Expose` too?