Palm Pixi- innovation for kids

• Posted: 09 September 2009 01:11 PM

Now I know that I rec’d a whole lot of grief here in my first post here a few months back when I suggested Apple’s rate of innovation was slowing.  I agreed with most of the responses to my worries.

In the spirit of full disclosure of my thoughts and concerns, I’d like to bring up the Palm Pixi.  I first read about this device last night before going to bed…and I thought it was pretty silly looking.  I awoke this morning, and began to consider that this thing may be a semi-hit with tweens.  It looks tiny, and the keys look tiny..and on the palm website they talk about how it is ‘great’ for messaging and social networking, so Palm is apparently going after the younger market. 

My point is this- why hasn’t Apple come out with some offshoot of the iPhone for kids that is geared towards messaging, etc.  This is kinda what I was touching on in that prior post.  I know I’m gonna get grilled for this, but my line of thinking isn’t completely without merit.  Apple did it with the iPod mini and it was a huge hit.  So I’d like to see it happen with the iPhone as well.

• Posted: 09 September 2009 01:50 PM #1

woodward - 09 September 2009 04:11 PM

My point is this- why hasn’t Apple come out with some offshoot of the iPhone for kids that is geared towards messaging, etc.

Hi Woodward.

The reason why Apple wouldn’t do this is that it would dilute the brand. At the moment all with the single device (two if you count the iPod Touch) it is a far easier product line to maintain.

The Pixi is Palm’s second attempt at a new generation phone - and as I have mentioned else where the two recent one day “price cuts” I think have been testing the water for the pricing on this product.

Generally I would see this as a sign of Palm getting desperate.

Signature

• Posted: 09 September 2009 01:55 PM #2

Apple’s product here is an iPod Touch if you can’t run to a new cellphone. Possibly supplemented with a hand-me-down phone for voice/SMS pending the glorious day when they are bit older and they get an iPhone.

I suspect no access to the Apple App store would be a deal breaker for this age group, who mostly want the same as each other.

Posted: 09 September 2009 02:03 PM #3

rattyuk - 09 September 2009 04:50 PM

Generally I would see this as a sign of Palm getting desperate.

Palm announce they would do this, BEFORE they even launched the original PRE.

They are just expanding the line, smart move.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 09 September 2009 04:05 PM #4

TanToday - 09 September 2009 05:03 PM

Palm announce they would do this, BEFORE they even launched the original PRE.
    They are just expanding the line, smart move.

I was referring to the pricing.

Signature