iPod shuffles

• Posted: 10 September 2009 02:48 AM

The new iPod shuffle line in my view is genius at work.

An entry level iPod shuffle at $59 and a stainless steel version for $99. What more could consumers want? It debases the competition on price while providing acceptable margins based on volume.

The shuffles have become an outlet for digital music sales. What more could Apple want?

Posted: 10 September 2009 09:22 AM #1

The biggest thing working against the shuffle was the lack of compatible headsets.  Apple has addressed this issue.  Some folks hate the white earbuds included with the new shuffle.  The good news is major headphone manufactures are finally bringing out headphones with compatible controls.  The price cut in nice and the high end shuffle becomes a piece of fashion jewlery.  When will someone use it as a ear or nose ring :eg:

• Posted: 10 September 2009 09:53 AM #2

My current model shuffle is my favorite iPod for music on the go. I think it’s vastly under-appreciated. But I did immediately switch to Apple’s in-ear phones with third party squidgy tips. Costing together more than twice the price of the iPod!

Second favorite: iPhone with AD2P bluetooth to “street-style” headphones/headset. The only problem here (apart from bluetooth-limited sound quality) is iPhone’s lack of support for the associated AVRCP control protocol; you can only pause/resume. I specially like the iPhone ability to select a song that comes to mind, and have a genius playlist made instantly from it.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I believe it’s possible to have the bluetooth headphone/headset connect simultaneously to Mac and iPhone.

[ Edited: 10 September 2009 09:57 AM by sleepytoo ]      
  • Posted: 10 September 2009 11:31 AM #3

artman1033 - 10 September 2009 02:02 PM

The current tiny, tiny shuffle is JUST like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

It is just TOO small.

I don’t like it.

Too easy to lose.

That’s fine for us shareholders. Please buy a much more expensive one.  :wink:

• Posted: 10 September 2009 02:54 PM #4

artman1033 - 10 September 2009 02:42 PM

If it was up to me, I would make the shuffle the size of a cigarette case.

That option is available to you; just put it in a cigarette case. It’s controlled from the earphone switch anyway.

But for best shareholder value, just keep losing and replacing.

Didn’t Hoover end up offering generous trade-in on old vacuum cleaners when they dominated the market? They just wanted them destroyed because every available vacuum cleaner niche in the environment was already occupied by a vacuum cleaner that wouldn’t die. That’s what Apple will have to do in the end with the “pure” iPods. They’ve now thrown in everything they can think of to “add value” to the nano (movies, videocam, pedometer, radio). Next year trade-ins.

• Posted: 10 September 2009 03:00 PM #5

I’d still like to see Bluetooth in the Nano, although I realize the FM radio requires the earphone cord as its antenna.