Best external keyboard for the MacBook?

• Posted: 12 September 2009 01:33 PM

What is the best external keyboard for the MacBook? I would prefer wireless via bluetooth. I would also like a compact size and portability is a must. Thanks guys.

Signature

Macbook Aluminum 2.4Ghz 4GB-RAM 500GB-hardrive, iPod Touch 2G 8GB,

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:43 AM #1

I’ve always been a big fan of Logitech’s wireless keyboards and mice, though none of the ones I’ve used are bluetooth and require a USB dongle/receiver.

The Bluetooth mice I checked out in the past were fidgety, though I imagine that issue’s been fixed by now.  Curious to see what others think here, since my trusty Logitech is likely on its way out sooner rather than later!

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 15 September 2009 11:47 AM #2

Logitech diNovo Edge for Mac.  Its pricey at $129 but well worth it. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0WQJM/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:56 AM #3

I have the bluetooth aluminum keyboard from Apple and absolutely love it, taking it with me and using it with my MacBook Pro.

Signature

James Leo Ryan

• Posted: 15 September 2009 12:06 PM #4

Thanks guys. I was kind of tying to up a portable office type thing,  any thoughts/suggestions?

[ Edited: 15 September 2009 12:23 PM by Sylar ]

Signature

Posted: 15 September 2009 12:12 PM #5

My favorite keyboard is the Microsoft Natural Elite. I prefer the ergonomic shape.
    Yes, it is large and ugly, but I don’t care.

Signature

Dave Barnes
    +1.303.744.9024
    WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

Posted: 15 September 2009 12:57 PM #6

My favorite keyboard is my MacBook Pro, using Screen Sharing or Bosco’s Screen Share to do keyboard and mouse stuff on my living room Mac Mini. If Apple made a keyboard that was basically the business end of a MacBook—Bluetooth with keyboard and trackpad—they would just kill it.

• Posted: 15 September 2009 01:06 PM #7

I used to love the Mattias Tactile Pro.  Still have two.  But the long, clicky throw started to slow down my typing.  So now my favorite is the Apple aluminum keyboard.  The short, soft throw speeds up my typing these days. And it’s very quiet as well.

—John Martellaro

• Posted: 15 September 2009 01:46 PM #8

I love the MacAlly Icekey, but it is not light (if that is your goal).  it has a great tactile feel and the usual “Mac” keys, eject, Vol up/down Mute. It’s quiet and feels like a typical laptop.  I also like using a Macbook as a remote keyboard via screensharing. It’s great for my MacMini used as a media center.

Posted: 15 September 2009 02:02 PM #9

Mine’s the Apple Extended Keyboard - the “Saratoga”, with the clicky Alps keyswitches. Used it with my (long gone) IIcx and packed away for quite a while. I’ve connected it with the Griffin iMate ADB to USB adapter to my PowerMac Dual 2.0GHz G5

Signature

—Kirschen / macgeekette / aviatrix / software engineerkirschen on twitter

• Posted: 15 September 2009 02:41 PM #10

Though not portable or bluetooth, my Unicomp Spacesaver keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever owned. Bomb-proof and reliable!

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104bl.html

Posted: 15 September 2009 07:06 PM #11

One that doesn’t have keys missing.
    Other than that I’m fairly agnostic.
    :groucho:

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 15 September 2009 07:51 PM #12

Would appreciate any suggestions for an ergonomic keyboard and mouse to be used with an iMac.

• Posted: 15 September 2009 08:08 PM #13

My favorite keyboard is the MacAlly IceKey - it’s not cordless but I’ve given up on 2 wireless ones in favor of this excellent one. Quite, ultra-reliable, just the right touch, comes in black or white, has volume, eject, F keys, etc. I use in INSTEAD and IN PREFERENCE TO the Apple aluminum ones.
    My favorite desktop mouse is the Logitech VX Revolution. It’s wireless with that amazing weighted scroll/flywheel. For travel, they make the VX Nano which is also great. There aren’t any better mice available!

Signature

AZCurt - Tucson Macintosh Users Group

• Posted: 15 September 2009 08:18 PM #14

Are there any bluetooth keyboards that are designed to be portable for mobile laptop users?

Signature

• Posted: 15 September 2009 08:50 PM #15

I looked, tried…settled on…the newer aluminum Mac USB keyboard. Wired for reliability, and love the minimal motion, fast-action keys. Function keys that “just work” a big plus. Sanwa makes a nice full-size keyboard, too, but drivers are years old and function keys don’t function properly.

Signature

tony in japan