Sprint CEO on Pre v. iPhone Comparison

• Posted: 12 September 2009 03:52 PM

Sprint CEO on Pre vs iPhone: “It’s like comparing someone to Michael Jordan”

Charlie Rose asked Sprint CEO Dan Hesse about how the Palm Pre is doing against the Apple iPhone. The bottom line: Well, but not too well. It almost feels like he’s admitting defeat from the start.

• Posted: 12 September 2009 04:12 PM #1

That’s an astonishingly honest (and refreshing) assessment.

Posted: 12 September 2009 10:32 PM #2

Thanks Artman for the link to the Charlie Rose interview: quite enjoyable and very interesting.
    Makes me think that Dan can turn Sprint around as he really seems intelligent and experienced and understands the customer perspective.  Imagine if Apple cut off the exclusive with AT&T: what advantage would AT&T have then - and how much would that benefit Sprint? (a lot I think).

• Posted: 13 September 2009 02:15 AM #3

Bryanyc - 13 September 2009 01:32 AM

Thanks Artman for the link to the Charlie Rose interview: quite enjoyable and very interesting.
    Makes me think that Dan can turn Sprint around as he really seems intelligent and experienced and understands the customer perspective.  Imagine if Apple cut off the exclusive with AT&T: what advantage would AT&T have then - and how much would that benefit Sprint? (a lot I think).

To answer your question, AT&T has learned a lot about iPhone users and Apple customers as well as where the investment is needed to meet unprecedented demand for data services. I’m not sure any service provider would have performed significantly better when confronted with this kind of demand. iPhone users are apparently unique with regard how much they use their phones for everything from checking stocks, the weather, reading the news and reading and responding to emails.

The market will be opened to other carriers but I’m not sure any service provider including Verizon will be able to provide significantly better service at the start.

• Posted: 13 September 2009 09:53 AM #4

Wow, that’s an overly generous way to refer to the competition in the heat of battle!

There are only two ways I can read that. One, the Pre is going to produce very disappointing results and he setting the stage for that,or he’s setting the stage for a future time where Michael Jordan joins his team too. This doesn’t have to been soon, but just somewhere in the future. If that’s the case, Mr. Strand would be describing him as another CEO bent on destroying his company (but at least he wouldn’t be the first into the “stupid pool”!).