iTunes 9 sync problems

• Posted: 19 September 2009 10:53 AM

Since installing iTunes 9, I have been unable to sync any podcasts into playlists, smart or not. The podcasts don’t appear in the device ( both 2nd generation iPod and 3g iphone) column of iTunes, though music files in the same playlists sync normally. I have checked the playlists in the settings tab of both devices and tried unchecking live updating. The podcasts appear in the iTunes playlists, but not in the playlists in the “devices” entry of iTunes or on the device menu itself.
    The podcasts do appear in the “podcasts” menu on the devices, just not in the playlists. This is a trifle annoying as it makes the podcasts invisible to by cars iPod interface.
    I am running Mac OS 10.6.1 and iPhone software version 3.1.

Thanks in advance for any help. My commute is boring without the Geek Gab.

[ Edited: 20 September 2009 09:23 AM by RGJfromJeffersonton ]      
  • Posted: 19 September 2009 11:43 PM #1

RGJfromJeffersonton - 19 September 2009 01:53 PM

Since installing iTunes 9, I have been unable to sync any podcasts into playlists, smart or not. The podcasts don’t appear in the device ( both 2nd generation iPod and 3g iphone) column of iTunes, though music files in the same playlists sync normally. I have checked the playlists in the settings tab of both devices and tried unchecking live updating. The podcasts appear in the iTunes playlists, but not in the playlists in the “devices” entry of iTunes or on the device menu itself.
    The podcasts do appear in the “podcasts” menu on the devices, just not in the playlists. This is a trifle annoying as it makes the podcasts invisible to by cars iPod interface.

Just to ask the obvious question, when you plug in the device, in the device section of iTunes, do you have the “podcasts” section of the iPods set to sync podcasts?

I’m actually having my own sync problem with Snow Leopard and iTunes 9 on my Nano 4G - calendars and contacts are no longer syncing. The option is turned off, and when I try to turn it on, iTunes tells me that I have no calendars (I actually have several) or contacts (hundreds) and offers to start iCal and Address Book to create some. I have no idea, though, if the problem started with 10.6 or with iTunes 9.

I also have a smart playlist of all unplayed podcasts in iTunes which, since iTunes 9 upgrade, is no longer sorted as it is in iTunes when I look on the device. I sort them in iTunes in order of release date. Before 9, the iPod would be sorted the same. Since 9 was installed, they are sorted in the order of the name of the podcast, no matter how I sort the smart playlist in iTunes 9.

• Posted: 20 September 2009 09:03 AM #2

—-Just to ask the obvious question, when you plug in the device, in the device section of iTunes, do you have the “podcasts” section of the iPods set to sync podcasts?

Both devices are set to sync podcasts. The podcasts appear on the devices under “podcasts”, but don’t appear in any playlists, which are also set to synch.

[ Edited: 20 September 2009 09:06 AM by RGJfromJeffersonton ]      
  • Posted: 20 September 2009 09:19 AM #3

RGJfromJeffersonton - 19 September 2009 01:53 PM

My commute is boring with the Geek Gab.

I’m sure the boys hate to read that.

• Posted: 20 September 2009 09:22 AM #4

I meant without the Geek Gab. Sorry.

• Posted: 20 September 2009 01:35 PM #5

Make sure you have the playlist checked under the Podcasts tab of iTunes sync, under “Include Episodes from Playlists:”. It seems that any playlists with podcasts in them will show up here, and they have to be checked if you want the podcasts to sync. This should work, I just listened to a 3-podcast playlist in my car the other day. (Although I can play individual podcasts directly if I switch the stereo to iPod mode, and start the podcast playing from the device.)

doogald - 20 September 2009 02:43 AM

I also have a smart playlist of all unplayed podcasts in iTunes which, since iTunes 9 upgrade, is no longer sorted as it is in iTunes when I look on the device. I sort them in iTunes in order of release date. Before 9, the iPod would be sorted the same. Since 9 was installed, they are sorted in the order of the name of the podcast, no matter how I sort the smart playlist in iTunes 9.

I have the same problem with all of my playlists, music and/or podcasts, and it is really annoying. Songs appear to be sorted at random on the device, not matching the iTunes playlist sort order. I’m not sure if this was caused by iTunes 9 or the 3.1.1 OS update. I don’t know if this is a bug or something to complain about to http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

• Posted: 21 September 2009 10:32 AM #6

I’m actually having my own sync problem with Snow Leopard and iTunes 9 on my Nano 4G - calendars and contacts are no longer syncing. The option is turned off, and when I try to turn it on, iTunes tells me that I have no calendars (I actually have several) or contacts (hundreds) and offers to start iCal and Address Book to create some. I have no idea, though, if the problem started with 10.6 or with iTunes 9.

For reasons other than this, I spent a few hours last night reinstalling Snow Leopard, from scratch this time rather than upgrading, and now I can sync calendars and contacts just fine. So, that solved this problem.

AJGraham - 20 September 2009 04:35 PM

I have the same problem with all of my playlists, music and/or podcasts, and it is really annoying. Songs appear to be sorted at random on the device, not matching the iTunes playlist sort order. I?m not sure if this was caused by iTunes 9 or the 3.1.1 OS update.

For what it’s worth, it is only this playlist that is not sorting as it is in iTunes. All of my other playlists, smart or otherwise, are arranged on my Nano after sync as they are on iTunes.

As for the podcast playlist issue that this thread started with, if selecting the playlists at the bottom of the Podcast sync section of the iPod doesn’t solve that problem (and I should note that my playlists with podcasts were syncing just fine without these being selected, but that was probably because I had selected syncing all unplayed podcasts, and both of my playlists with podcasts in them also select only unplayed podcasts), I would try turning off podcast sync, syncing, and then turning it back on again, to see if somehow that fixes the problem.

• Posted: 21 September 2009 11:27 AM #7

Having similar problems.  For me, it’s only the Smart playlists I’ve made for podcasts that aren’t syncing with the iPod 5th gen 1.3 “Ipod with Video”. 

They appear in iTunes just like my music smart playlists. And the music smart lists appear on the ipod, but not the podcasts…

I also noticed there is a new descriptor in the Smart Playlist Edit Screen, are these iPods prepared to deal with “Media Kind”  is “Podcast”  instead of the old “Podcast” is “True” ??

Off topic but

One tiny bit of complaint which is semantic and superfluous, when you used to Ctrl click or right click the option was Mark as Not New, now its Mark as Watched…  Really? 10 of my 12 podcasts are audio only, but they are all “Watched”?

• Posted: 21 September 2009 01:07 PM #8

I’ve tried turning off podcast syncing, syncing, then turning it back on. When I saw the “include” podcasts in these playlists” section of the ipod settings tab, I thought that was the solution, but alas no luck.
    Maybe I’ll just get a Zune.  LOL

• Posted: 21 September 2009 02:42 PM #9

AJGraham - 20 September 2009 04:35 PM

I have the same problem with all of my playlists, music and/or podcasts, and it is really annoying. Songs appear to be sorted at random on the device, not matching the iTunes playlist sort order. I’m not sure if this was caused by iTunes 9 or the 3.1.1 OS update. I don’t know if this is a bug or something to complain about to http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

I should have said above that it’s only my smart playlists that have this sorting problem; regular playlists show up on my touch in the same order that they appear in iTunes. FWIW I called AppleCare about this. They acknowledged it’s a known issue that they’re working on. They also pointed out that the issue does not occur if the “Live updating” box is unchecked or if the “Limit” box is checked (in which case the tracks will be sorted in the order chosen from the popup box) in the smart playlist configuration dialog. None of my smart playlists were so configured, nor do I want them to be. But try fiddling with those checkboxes in your smart podcast playlist and see if that helps.

• Posted: 21 September 2009 09:22 PM #10

Strangely, after editing my smart playlist to put in a limit (mentioned earlier), to see if that would sort my playlist correctly, my podcast playlists synced empty, just as others mentioned. After a bit of fiddling, I was able to get it back.

First, in the device, I have podcast syncing turned on.

I used to have it set to automatically include all unplayed podcasts from all podcasts, but I turned off that setting, and, instead, just selected the smart playlists themselves at the bottom of that window. Making that change (i.e., turning off including all unplayed podcasts) worked.

This is obviously a bug.

• Posted: 22 September 2009 12:28 PM #11

FWIW, all my podcasts appear to sync perfectly on both my 4G Nano and 3G iPhone with iTunes9 on Mac OS X 10.6.1. The behavior is identical to iTunes8, but now the podcasts can display “partially listened” podcasts in addition to “never listened” and “done”.

• Posted: 23 September 2009 09:33 AM #13

Apple has released 9.0.1; one of the fixes is to podcast playlist syncing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL927

• Posted: 23 September 2009 01:29 PM #14

After posting I realized I might try just deleting the rule that says it has to be a podcast and eliminate the Media Kind change, and just use the rule of album = name of podcast.  Of course that worked, with some podcasts being out of sort.  Which I have fixed through the lower tech solution of listening to them and deleting. grin

Off to Software Update!

• Posted: 26 September 2009 04:40 PM #15

doogald - 23 September 2009 12:33 PM

Apple has released 9.0.1; one of the fixes is to podcast playlist syncing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL927

I just tried syncing for the first time with 9.0.1; it’s still broken. De-selecting the top section to automatically sync all unplayed/new podcasts from selected/all podcasts and just relying on my smart playlist works fine still, though.