Anyone suffering instability in Snow Leopard?

• Posted: 22 September 2009 03:26 PM

Well, I’ve was having quite a few unexplained crashes which 10.6.1 seems to have resolved… for the most part.  However, I’ve just been aware of something that you might want to check.

There is an incompatibility issue with fonts.  To resolve, go to Applications and run Fontbook.  Any incompatibilities are highlighted by a little yellow triangle.  The advice (MacCast) is not to use the “resolve duplicates” feature but to delete or turn off the fonts with the warnings.  The automatic process apparently keeps the active font, not necessarily deleting the incompatible one.

Hope this helps - Gregor

• Posted: 24 September 2009 12:29 PM #1

Two problems for me, though neither occurs frequently enough to be a real imposition:

(1) I occasionally have to access a web-based Oracle Java database which functions correctly on the whole, but when you hit its internal print button it is supposed to pop open a new window with a PDF that you can send to your printer. In Snow Leopard that print button does nothing and I don’t get the popup with a PDF, so I have to print reports from another computer. It probably had something to do with the version of Java found in Snow Leopard, because the same thing happens (or “doesn’t happen, as the case may be) in both Safari and Firefox.

(2) Once in a while, maybe once a week, the whole interface freezes up and after a few seconds the screen goes blue as if it were changing resolutions or plugging/unplugging an external display. Instead of returning to my desktop it dumps me to the login screen. It’s like the whole window server crashed and had to be restarted. This may be the fault of some drivers or other third-party software, but it does happen on multiple Snow Leopard machines that I use, so if it’s not Snow Leopard itself, the troublesome software must be present on all of them.

• Posted: 24 September 2009 12:38 PM #2

artman1033 - 24 September 2009 03:32 PM

David:

I am trying to send you a PM.

Your box is full!

Delete a few please!

I just got an alert about that. I deleted a bunch, so try again. Thanks! smile

• Posted: 02 November 2009 02:34 PM #3

Dear all,

I am presently experiencing sustained and repeatable crashes of Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro 15” 2.6 GHz with certain OS applications.  Safari, Address Book, and TextEdit never run.  The crash reports consistently include the following kind of information:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000012
    Crashed Thread:  10 Safari: HistoryTextCache caching

If I run Mail and try to access my Address Book, the app will crash.  I have tried all of the usual suggestions : rerunning the 10.6.1 update, removing and reinstalling Flash, running repair permissions, etc.  The problem is solid.  I have recourse to Firefox and entering email addresses consulted from my iPhone.

There are some threads in Apple forums that suggest I am not alone in this.  It seems to me that the problem began on or about the time of the iTunes update: before that, everything seemed just peachy.

Is anyone else out there hearing of similar difficulties?  Thanks.

Signature

MacBook Pro 15” 2.6 GHz (OSX 10.6.1), PowerBook G4 15” (OSX 10.4.11), iPhone 3GS