Apple tops 2 Billion App Downloads

• Posted: 28 September 2009 10:08 AM

CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept. 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/—Apple? today announced that more than two billion apps have been downloaded from its revolutionary App Store, the largest applications store in the world. There are now more than 85,000 apps available to the more than 50 million iPhone(TM) and iPod touch? customers worldwide and over 125,000 developers in Apple’s iPhone Developer Program.

“The rate of App Store downloads continues to accelerate with users downloading a staggering two billion apps in just over a year, including more than half a billion apps this quarter alone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The App Store has reinvented what you can do with a mobile handheld device, and our users are clearly loving it.”

Today, iPhone and iPod touch customers in 77 countries worldwide can choose from an incredible range of apps in 20 categories, including games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel. With the recently introduced iTunes? 9, it’s now easier than ever to organize and sync your apps right in iTunes and they will automatically appear on your iPhone or iPod touch with the same layout.

Press release here

Signature

Posted: 28 September 2009 10:20 PM #1

This is just another indicator of the pace of development, innovation, and value creation not happening from any other company. I’ve actually dusted off my programming skills for the first time in 20 years and have started development of three iPhone apps.  The platform is exciting, yes - but the ecosystem really is incredible. With the return to Apple of their Newton project manager, recently of Nike+iPod, I fully expect several more devices to join the fray. Perhaps a watch in addition to the tablet. Yes you veterans, I’m still dreaming. But why not? The miniaturization, flash capacity, and networking are all there. Tether your watch to your iPhone or wifi, and the iWatch joins the ecosystem as a front end for Nike+iPod, weather checks, stock quotes, and of course the time. Shown actual size, just try your finger on the image and drool.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 29 September 2009 12:49 AM #2

I have to admit.  I am shocked at the success of the app store.  I always thought that what made the iPhone and iTouch a hit was the UI and the whole experience before we added one outside app.

It is clear now that the app store is driving the iPhone and iTouch sales more then the video, picture, and touch screen.

The apps have been around for quite a while.  It was called widgets but not even close to the success of the iPhone apps.  Not quite sure why, because they do the same thing.

I believe that by the time we hit 4 billion downloads the iPhone 4th generation will blow us away next year. :-D

• Posted: 29 September 2009 01:20 AM #3

I’ll be real interested in the number of downloads following the Christmas season. At the rate of download activity the store could reach more than four billion downloads by early January with five billion (or more) downloads by the end of that month.

Posted: 29 September 2009 08:16 AM #4

omacvi - 29 September 2009 03:49 AM

I have to admit.  I am shocked at the success of the app store.  I always thought that what made the iPhone and iTouch a hit was the UI and the whole experience before we added one outside app.

It is clear now that the app store is driving the iPhone and iTouch sales more then the video, picture, and touch screen.

For me the killer app of the iPhone was access to the internet from pretty much anywhere. Given the nature of trading and the six hours time difference; I was pretty much closed in at home until 22:00. Now, I can roam outside during the evening and I can easily take five minutes off to check how the market is doing.

But I too am surprised at the success of the application store and it seems that so is Apple.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 29 September 2009 11:55 AM #5

For me it replaced having to carry a computer in order to check my email and I don’t have to pay outrageous hotel charges for internet access if I’m away for only a few days. It stopped me from being lost in NYC and helped me find bathrooms there - I mean, Starbucks. I can check the stock market and the weather, do my banking, even deposit a check, make my grocery list, packing lists, check my calendar and add to it right there, keep up with Twitter and friends and family on Facebook. I’ve used a program for tips (sure helps with a group), I’ve kept track of the things I eat when I wanted to drop a few pounds and even used it to look at my WoW characters. Besides all that, it fits into my pocket.

If I need to kill time, I can read a book, too. But the thing that I didn’t think that I would like and use all the time, is the game feature. It is fun to have a few good games to lower my stress and kill a few minutes. Most of the people I’ve talked to about the iTouch or iPhone say they were really surprised by how quickly they got hooked on the games.

Posted: 29 September 2009 02:37 PM #6

Last week I listened to Diane Gayeski talk about the impact of social media. Throughout most of history, people in family units lived close to each other. Their “tribe” was connected by geography - you literally saw everyone everyday as you went about your business. Getting beyond your town or village was the exception. In the past century we’ve gotten disconnected from “our people”. Now, the mobile tools enable us to be connected again, through Facebook, Twitter, email, phone, SMS, and even GPS. We can visualize our people again, both virtually and in many cases physically through a shared past experience (“hey, I’m under the Brooklyn Bridge and thinking about that time we all went to Jeremy’s”). An interesting insight, especially when placed against the shared experience of a game. We can play against our people, now at a distance, and communicate about the shared experience through our iPhones.

[ Edited: 29 September 2009 05:27 PM by rezonate ]

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 29 September 2009 04:32 PM #7

SPAM DT

Signature