Canada gets competition in the iPhone market

Posted: 06 October 2009 09:59 AM

Late last night, Bell Canada confirmed that they (and Telus) would be rolling out GSM technology and along with that the iPhone. Until now, both Bell and Telus have been using CDMA. With the winter Olympics coming to Canada early next year, they had been working hard to add GSM for all the visitors coming to Canada.

Until now, only Rogers (and their subsidiary FIDO) have been able to sell the iPhone. Competition will be welcome. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/bell-telus-to-launch-iphone-next-month/article1312692/

• Posted: 06 October 2009 12:41 PM #1

CdnPhoto - 06 October 2009 12:59 PM

Late last night, Bell Canada confirmed that they (and Telus) would be rolling out GSM technology and along with that the iPhone. Until now, both Bell and Telus have been using CDMA. With the winter Olympics coming to Canada early next year, they had been working hard to add GSM for all the visitors coming to Canada.

Until now, only Rogers (and their subsidiary FIDO) have been able to sell the iPhone. Competition will be welcome. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/bell-telus-to-launch-iphone-next-month/article1312692/

Hopefully this competition will bring down the prices a bit, but knowing Rogers any prices drops will only be for new customers as they’ve already got us locked into 3-year plans.  <sigh>

Posted: 08 October 2009 04:49 PM #2

We have another year on our current contract (a family plan for our two el-cheapo phones). I talked to Rogers about going to an iPhone and all I would have to do is to add the data plan to the contract, renew for another three years, and buy the phone. I’m curious as to what I will be able to get from Rogers and the other companies. However I suspect that as an existing Rogers customer none of the Rogers deals will apply to me. I won’t be surprised if I have to wait ANOTHER year to get a good price.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.