How do you know AAPL is the future?

• Posted: 06 October 2009 06:01 PM

I read a link to a Fortune article today. I’ve never been to their site before. I believe it was posted from here, but regardless, while i was there I noticed something. It was in their “Brainstorm Tech” category. Out of the first 2 pages of articles, only 7/20 were not Apple related.

I think it’s time to shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

• Posted: 06 October 2009 07:30 PM #1

Not quite sure I understand the complaint. Reporting the news in clear unbiased format is a plus.

• Posted: 06 October 2009 07:36 PM #2

I believe that was sarcasm ....  He ended his post with a now infamous quote from Michael Dell.

How do I know Apple is the future :  EASY ... forget all of those stupid magazines and analysts ... I simply look at what the kids are buying and what they want ... they want iPhones, iPods and will be drawn to Apple computers ... just look at their dominance in the education field.  I have a couple of nephews and nieces from 9-25 in age ... I always ask them about these products and they always tell me that all their friends have them and they want them !!! 

My kids are younger but my daughter is 8 and now she is asking about an iPod and iPhone ...

THAT is how I know Apple is the future .... 

BTW, I’ve asked all of them if any of their friends have a Zune .... NOT 1 person has ever said yes ....

Sorry to get all Cramer like but the younger generation is where it’s at in terms of what is deemed popular and Apple is in !!!!!

• Posted: 06 October 2009 07:39 PM #3

I think there was an element of sarcasm and satire in the original posting. I don’t think that the original poster realizes that the Brainstorm Tech column was morphed from the original Apple 2.0 column combined with other tech journalism such as John Fortt’s column.

PED does put a lot of stories up - at least one a day - the others are a little more restrained - as in there is less for them to write about. So, as before, the “Brainstorm Tech” does have a higher quantity of Apple related stories.

I think the last sentence was satire based on dear old Mikey Dell’s advice to the company when they were going through “difficult times”.

Edit: OOPS obviously GTR and I were working on the same post at the same time!!!!

Signature

• Posted: 06 October 2009 08:32 PM #4

Typical, things just get by me. Thanks for the alignment.

• Posted: 06 October 2009 10:47 PM #5

Spent the afternoon with twenty 6&7 year-olds.  When I asked for a show of hands:  How many know what an iPod is?  All 20.  How many have an iPod? 13.  And four volunteered the information that they had an iPod Touch.

Not a random sample, as these kids all attend a private school.  But these kids will not be teenagers for another half-dozen years and they love Apple already.

• Posted: 07 October 2009 12:13 AM #6

Back to the original question: How do you know AAPL is the future?

I’ve been to the future and back. It’s really cool. Two administrations from now the government banned all but Apple devices. Every household is required to have at least three Apple-branded items per person. If you don’t meet the official Apple item quota all of your stuff is seized and you are exiled to a place where all of the Dell stuff ever created is sent to be hand disassembled and workers are forced to use Zunes loaded only with disco music from the 70’s.

Apple is officially exempted from paying taxes of any kind and all shareholders who bought the stock before the close of market trading on October 7, 2009 are declare national heroes and are given an annual tax-free lifestyle stipend of $1 million a month (adjusted annually for inflation).  Quick. Act now. Buy AAPL in the morning.  :wink:

• Posted: 07 October 2009 12:17 AM #7

capablanca - 07 October 2009 01:47 AM

Spent the afternoon with twenty 6&7 year-olds.  When I asked for a show of hands:  How many know what an iPod is?  All 20.  How many have an iPod? 13.  And four volunteered the information that they had an iPod Touch.

Not a random sample, as these kids all attend a private school.  But these kids will not be teenagers for another half-dozen years and they love Apple already.

Santa has new ammunition to win good behavior from the little tykes:  Behave or you get a lump of coal or a Zune.

Posted: 07 October 2009 12:29 AM #8

DawnTreader - 07 October 2009 03:13 AM

Back to the original question: How do you know AAPL is the future?

I’ve been to the future and back. It’s really cool. Two administrations from now the government banned all but Apple devices. Every household is required to have at least three Apple-branded items per person. If you don’t meet the official Apple item quota all of your stuff is seized and you are exiled to a place where all of the Dell stuff ever created is sent to be hand disassembled and workers are forced to use Zunes loaded only with disco music from the 70’s.

Apple is officially exempted from paying taxes of any kind and all shareholders who bought the stock before the close of market trading on October 7, 2009 are declare national heroes and are given an annual tax-free lifestyle stipend of $1 million a month (adjusted annually for inflation).  Quick. Act now. Buy AAPL in the morning.  :wink:

LMAO. So, you do have a humorous side. :-D with a little greed thrown in there. You just need to get that house ready because we are coming next year. lol.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 07 October 2009 09:41 AM #9

capablanca - 07 October 2009 01:47 AM

I wish I had just had the same experience! Just yesterday my 6 year old (I started rather late!) returned from dance class talking about how much she wanted a Nintendo DS (whaaaaat!!!)

She’s really not been exposed to them very much, but she had just heard her best friend was getting one (due to her neighbor just getting one) and that was now the most desired device. My arguments about why an iPod Touch was superior didn’t hold much water with her despite her constant amusement with games on my iPhone. So, the result is she’s now going to have to get a brand new Touch for Christmas—about 3 years ahead of my plan! My hope was to start pushing down older iPhones to keep Daddy with the latest one, but that seems to be unraveling before my eyes. Good news is my 9 year old is enjoying her recently handed-down original Touch and my wife is enjoying her recently handed-down iPhone 3G.

• Posted: 07 October 2009 10:29 AM #10

Thanks rattyuk for the background on Brainstorm Tech. I didn’t realize that it started with Apple 2.0. But doesn’t that say something as well?

I remember my first brand new mac. I waited in line for the computer store to open and provide me with my pre-ordered iMac on August 15, 1999. Back then, it was tough being a mac user, let alone a fan. You pretty much had to be sipping the Kool Aid. Now, all you have to do is want a really great smart phone (carrier issues aside), and you’re hooked on the idea.

How many people do you know that have switched away from a Mac by their own choice in recent years? (It’s kind of like asking about a Zune.) Getting the iPhone in the palm of millions of people’s hands is a constant reminder that there is a different computing platform out there as well. Over time, I see great things for AAPL.

• Posted: 07 October 2009 03:40 PM #11

brett_x - 07 October 2009 01:29 PM

I remember my first brand new mac. I waited in line for the computer store to open and provide me with my pre-ordered iMac on August 15, 1999.

Was that 1998 or 1999? The original Bondi blue iMac became available for retail sale on August 15, 1998. I remember the day well.  grin

• Posted: 07 October 2009 04:06 PM #12

How do I know AAPL is the future?  My younger daughter turned 15 last Saturday.  For months all she asked for was a 16 GB White iPhone 3GS.  NO!!  I did not buy her one.  I think an iPhone for a 15 year old is too extravagant a gift.  However,  once she’d totaled up her money that she’d received as gifts from aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas she was at about $250.  She marched right up to me yesterday, handed me the money and said “Can you please go buy my iPhone with this?”  I thought about it for a moment and realized that if she was willing plunk down her own cash which totals about 1/5th of her total net worth she must really want this device BAD.  So I then asked her “Who’s going to pay for the extra $30/month for the required data plan”.  She said she would.  (I’m going to go ahead and cover the monthly fee but the fact that she was willing to also indicates just how badly she wanted this device).

So that’s how I know that AAPL is the future.

Posted: 07 October 2009 04:51 PM #13

Rager93 - 07 October 2009 07:06 PM

How do I know AAPL is the future?  My younger daughter turned 15 last Saturday.  For months all she asked for was a 16 GB White iPhone 3GS.  NO!!  I did not buy her one.  I think an iPhone for a 15 year old is too extravagant a gift.  However,  once she’d totaled up her money that she’d received as gifts from aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas she was at about $250.  She marched right up to me yesterday, handed me the money and said “Can you please go buy my iPhone with this?”  I thought about it for a moment and realized that if she was willing plunk down her own cash which totals about 1/5th of her total net worth she must really want this device BAD.  So I then asked her “Who’s going to pay for the extra $30/month for the required data plan”.  She said she would.  (I’m going to go ahead and cover the monthly fee but the fact that she was willing to also indicates just how badly she wanted this device).

So that’s how I know that AAPL is the future.

Rager93, that is a great story, but your daughter is in the Apple environment. Now if you could convince her friends to go with Apple, you might be on to something. Replacing an Apple on the cart does not make the cart any better, not that I am killing you off now, just saying. I hope this does not come across wrong. I had to put my dog to sleep yesterday and I am in a ill mood (14yr old Maltese).

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 07 October 2009 05:02 PM #14

DawnTreader - 07 October 2009 06:40 PM
    brett_x - 07 October 2009 01:29 PM

I remember my first brand new mac. I waited in line for the computer store to open and provide me with my pre-ordered iMac on August 15, 1999.

Was that 1998 or 1999? The original Bondi blue iMac became available for retail sale on August 15, 1998. I remember the day well.  grin

Sorry- that was a typo- 1998. I really wasn’t a fan of the Bondi color, but it was my first brand new machine, and a giant upgrade from my previous machine - a IIfx .

Posted: 07 October 2009 05:17 PM #15

My friends who are Microsoft Certified Solution Developers running a software development house had bought MacBook Pros and iPhones for their personal uses and starting to write iPhone apps and learning Objective-C.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs