Permissions Not Acceptable

• Posted: 07 October 2009 06:39 PM

I have an external drive that I tried to change permissions on to allow all users r w access.  After doing so, the permissions listing in Get Info showed ‘custom’.  After that, I couldn’t access the drive from any account, admin or other.  Is there a Unix command or any other method that I can use to correct this problem?  I don’t know why this happened.  If someone can shed some light on this, I’d appreciate it.

Posted: 13 October 2009 04:46 AM #1

Did you try the Repair Permissions feature in Disk Utility? It should see the drive, even if you can’t mount it.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 13 October 2009 05:38 AM #2

Yes, I tried repair permissions.  I did resolve the problem by using Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner, running the finder as root, and copying what I wanted off of the drive to the internal drive and repartitioning the external to get rid of the unwanted locked state.

Thanks.

Posted: 13 October 2009 02:02 PM #3

You know, I’d gathered you knew what you were doing, and I should have prefaced my question with a, “I bet you already tried this, but…” smile

I’m glad you got it solved!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.