2008   2007   2006
    Net sales:

Desktops (a)
      $ 5,603   $ 4,020   $ 3,319
    Portables (b)
        8,673     6,294     4,056

Total Mac net sales
        14,276     10,314     7,375

Apple took advantage of the competition’s bungle to double sales. Not bad.

I think Apple is strong enough to survive if the competition actually makes a product that actually works.

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

• Posted: 13 October 2009 03:19 PM #1

Windows 7 introduced?

A related factoid:

The Ford Edsel was introduced on September 4, 1957. It was introduced on what Ford called “E-Day” and with much fanfare and optimism.

The product encountered sales problems early in its sales cycle because no matter the hype, it still looked and apparently drove like any other Ford. Not that Fords were bad cars, but the new line with new Edsel dealerships couldn’t perform to expectations. The public was expecting something radical and new, not just a new nameplate and with Ford’s familiar body works and styling.

Posted: 13 October 2009 03:44 PM #2

The Microsoft WIndows 7 was introduced on October 22, 2009. It was introduced on what Microsoft called “W-Day” and with much fanfare and optimism.

The product encountered sales problems early in its sales cycle because no matter the hype, it still looked and apparently felt like any other Windows. Not that Windows were bad OSs, but the new line with new Windows dealerships couldn’t perform to expectations. The public was expecting something radical and new, not just a new name and with Microsoft’s familiar UI and icons.

Note:  To be released after October 22, 2009.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 13 October 2009 06:06 PM #3

Microsoft sends biggest patch on record

“Several of the patches affect Windows 7, the software maker’s mew operating system which will be officially unveiled next week but has been widely used in test versions.

Such an early sign of security issues on Windows 7 is potentially worrying for Microsoft, which is hoping its new operating system will erase ill-feeling among many customers who bought the predecessor Vista.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE59C5EJ20091013

Posted: 15 October 2009 11:38 AM #4

Here is a good article in BusinessWeek regarding Windows 7 and Apple.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_43/b4152000782247.htm