Microsoft tries it’s hand at retail

Posted: 22 October 2009 09:10 AM

So, today is a big day for Microsoft. They release Windows 7 (I never understood how you got to 7) and they have their retail store opening. The store is to open in Scotsdale AZ at 10:00 local time.

Any first hand information would be appreciated on either topic.

Posted: 22 October 2009 10:21 AM #1

CdnPhoto - 22 October 2009 12:10 PM

So, today is a big day for Microsoft. They release Windows 7 (I never understood how you got to 7) and they have their retail store opening. The store is to open in Scotsdale AZ at 10:00 local time.

They went from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows XP (5) to Windows Vista (6) to Windows 7.

• Posted: 22 October 2009 10:31 AM #2

They have also updated their online store to sell, Sony, Dell, HP and Lenovo computers. (pretty much what Ballmer had with him on the today show this morning). So I suspect that will be the in-store lines too.

http://store.microsoft.com

But it is broken at the moment.

Signature

• Posted: 22 October 2009 10:40 AM #3

pats - 22 October 2009 01:21 PM

They went from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows XP (5) to Windows Vista (6) to Windows 7.

My guess - since all of the systems so far (especially Vista) are so full of bugs and crapy, that each time MS brings out a new version they name it totally different to avoid any association with the previous version.  :-D

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 22 October 2009 11:12 AM #4

Online store still not accessible yet but Engadget has a screenshot.

I can’t quite place it but it seems a tad familiar.

Signature

Posted: 22 October 2009 11:21 AM #5

From an NPR report this morning; the one guy waiting since very early this morning for the store opening was there for the freebies, and when asked, he didn’t even know what the store was selling.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 22 October 2009 11:23 AM #6

macglenn - 22 October 2009 02:21 PM

From an NPR report this morning; the one guy waiting since very early this morning for the store opening was there for the freebies, and when asked, he didn’t even know what the store was selling.

I suppose from Microsoft’s point of view, that it’s better than him saying he was waiting for an iPhone.

Posted: 22 October 2009 12:22 PM #7

Host your own Windows 7 “launch” party

Signature

An AAPL a day keeps the doctor away

• Posted: 22 October 2009 01:58 PM #8

(I never understood how you got to 7) .

X - 3 = 7

• Posted: 22 October 2009 02:44 PM #9

williamjames - 22 October 2009 04:58 PM

(I never understood how you got to 7) .

X - 3 = 7

LOL

Posted: 22 October 2009 03:31 PM #10

AppleInsider photos from grand opening

• Posted: 22 October 2009 03:39 PM #11

pats - 22 October 2009 06:31 PM

AppleInsider photos from grand opening

So it’s an Apple store with a Windows logo? Apple should sue.

EDIT: They’ve even got Black shirts with white centered writing. Do they have NO original ideas at all?

Signature

Posted: 22 October 2009 03:50 PM #12

rattyuk - 22 October 2009 06:39 PM

Do they have NO original ideas at all?

Sure they do. Install Party!!! You get to sit around and watch someone else install Windows 7 on their computer. To add some fun, you can bet on various things like: how long it will take, when it will crash, how long it will take before someone says “It’s just like Vista”, and finally how long before somone decides to leave and go to the Apple store.

[ Edited: 22 October 2009 03:53 PM by CdnPhoto ]      
  • Posted: 22 October 2009 03:53 PM #13

Here is a video of the opening. IF you’ve ever attended another sort of store opening it may be a tad familiar.

Video HERE.

As some wag comments “Congratulations Microsoft on opening your first Apple Store”.

Signature

Posted: 22 October 2009 04:13 PM #14

It actually is a great strategy.  Steal from the best.  Microsoft copied the leader.  If you are not looking at other companies and their best practices when you build a new business, your missing out.  Now we’ll have to see if they can turn it into any revenue.  The problem microsoft has is they don’t sell much hardware and software sales are moving to the virtual world, They also create interesting conflicts with their many OEMs.

• Posted: 22 October 2009 04:16 PM #15

It is frustrating. Is this really the best they can do? Walk into an Apple Store, take some photos and then rebuild it. EVEN the graphic in the front door looks like the millions of apps on the App store stuff. I cannot believe that will all the money Microsoft have thrown at this they couldn’t have ONE SINGLE IDEA that hadn’t been done before. Pathetic.

Signature