The triumph of the consumer culture

Posted: 25 October 2009 11:32 PM

I was reading an article in the Times Online about Andrew Marr and he made a statement that got me thinking - “... how we have stopped voting and went shopping.”

People ‘vote’ for a vision with the products they buy. People can also ‘vote’ for a vision with the stock they buy. I vote at the ballot box regularly, but my ‘votes’ for Apple have been more satisfying.

I think there was an election recently and Apple got elected. smile

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

Posted: 26 October 2009 02:22 AM #1

stkstalker - 26 October 2009 02:32 AM

I was reading an article in the Times Online about Andrew Marr and he made a statement that got me thinking - “... how we have stopped voting and went shopping.”

People ‘vote’ for a vision with the products they buy. People can also ‘vote’ for a vision with the stock they buy. I vote at the ballot box regularly, but my ‘votes’ for Apple have been more satisfying.

I think there was an election recently and Apple got elected. smile

I’ve been “voting” at Menards nearly everyday for months. Last week the Fan Man West had a good showing though. In fact my purchases at local home improvement and custom lighting stores blow whatever I’ve spent on iProducts out of the water.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 26 October 2009 12:35 PM #2

This thread deserves a movie about consumerism: Everything is Okay.

“Miserable people shop more so please remain as miserable as you can!”  LOL

When you die, you’ll regret that you didn’t work more.”

Wait a second….  :wink:

[ Edited: 26 October 2009 12:38 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 26 October 2009 10:02 PM #3

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 27 October 2009 04:26 AM #4

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 28 October 2009 10:56 AM #5

TanToday - 27 October 2009 07:26 AM

‘Course once those people give up and walk away from their mortgages there is a pretty good chance that they’ll become pretty good little consumers.  grin

Signature