Verizon Feels The iPhone Heat

Posted: 29 October 2009 07:25 PM #16

turleymuller - 29 October 2009 06:58 PM
    capablanca - 29 October 2009 02:16 PM

I fully understand that there are a huge number of Verizon customers who wish they could get an iPhone without having to switch to AT&T.  I sympathize.  But all the wishing in the world is not going to make it happen.  What all the wishing does do is to fuel rumors.

But let us stop and think.  1) Would Verizon be openly mocking the iPhone in a major ad campaign if there were any chance of getting it?  2) What would have to happen for SJ to enter into a partnership with a company that has openly mocked his pride and joy?

We also need to repeat the question posed earlier by DT.  What would Verizon’s vaunted network performance be like it it had to handle the amount of data that has been thrown at AT&T?

Amen Brother!

I don’t think Verizon eliminates itself from the iPhone because of the ads or SJ ego.  It is all business and as we discussed Apple is in a position of strength and time is on their side with this issue.

Keep in mind that Apple dished Microsoft at every MacWorld and ridiculed Intel.  Yet back in 1997 I think Microsoft invested 100 Million in Office for the Mac and Apple went out of its way to allow Windows to run on their machines.  Intel became the main supplier of its computers soon after making fun of how slow their processors were.

It is all business, and Verizon knows it is not getting the iPhone soon,  therefore it needs to stop the bleeding with their own product.  The only mystery is why ATT would say that their exclusive deal will end at some point.  To me that is a sign that Verizon may get the iPhone sooner then we think and they are making fast progress on that LTE network.

• Posted: 29 October 2009 10:50 PM #17

turleymuller - 28 October 2009 09:43 PM
    willrob - 28 October 2009 09:32 PM

Apple predicted to sacrifice ‘sweetheart’ AT&T deal for Verizon

Apple management said on the call that its pricing doesn’t change when exclusivity ends.
    Gene Munster ? Piper Jaffray
    So when you go from exclusive to multiple carriers, you wouldn?t necessarily see change in pricing that you are charging the carrier? Is that correct?
    Timothy D. Cook
    That?s correct.

If Verizon wants to only subsidize it by $300, all the power to them, just means VZ will be offering iPhone for $100 more than AT&T.

I thought this exchange was one of the more memorable moments of the conference call. It really changed a lot of people’s thinking around the end of exclusivity.

I think we’ll see iPhone on Verizon when their network is ready for the iPhone, not when a new iPhone is ready for their network.

I’m surprised T has not used the CDMA implication of using data and voice at the same time in a marketing campaign. All these comments about multi-tasking 3rd party apps on the iPhone when generally there is little benefit, and a key multi-tasking scenario (look up a detail while on a phone call) is not supported because of Verizon’s network. You think you’d want to market that when you are getting the public to compare carriers.

Posted: 29 October 2009 11:21 PM #18

Softbank Jumps

Looks like Softbank is enjoying it’s own exclusivisity, but perhaps they too are worrying about Apple giving the much bigger Docomo a nod.

• Posted: 30 October 2009 01:10 AM #19

cranium - 30 October 2009 01:50 AM

I think we’ll see iPhone on Verizon when their network is ready for the iPhone, not when a new iPhone is ready for their network.

I Like that line.  grin

• Posted: 01 November 2009 12:02 PM #20

People who need to have Verizon for the next couple of years will buy a Droid or other phone.

After that it is still unclear that Verizon will do what it needs to do in order to be worthy of the iPhone smile

• Posted: 01 November 2009 08:54 PM #21

roni - 01 November 2009 04:02 PM

After that it is still unclear that Verizon will do what it needs to do in order to be worthy of the iPhone

The iPhone is not coming to Verizon anytime soon. The sooner the public is aware of this fact the sooner Apple sells more iPhones.

The Droid is not living up to the hype. It may keep a few buyers from jumping to the iPhone, but it won’t materially slow defections from Verizon for the iPhone.  It may satisfy the needs of those who steadfastly won’t move from Verizon but want a smartphone.

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:54 AM #22

DawnTreader - 02 November 2009 12:54 AM
    roni - 01 November 2009 04:02 PM

After that it is still unclear that Verizon will do what it needs to do in order to be worthy of the iPhone

The iPhone is not coming to Verizon anytime soon. The sooner the public is aware of this fact the sooner Apple sells more iPhones.

The Droid is not living up to the hype. It may keep a few buyers from jumping to the iPhone, but it won’t materially slow defections from Verizon for the iPhone.  It may satisfy the needs of those who steadfastly won’t move from Verizon but want a smartphone.

Agreed. The only real thing that is holding the iPhone back is the somewhat spotty coverage of ATT. I was talking to a friend at church yesterday. He actually bought an iPhone to use with ATT. After a few days of use, he returned it due to a weak signal at his house and went with Sprint (I think. . .but not VZ) As ATTs coverage improves, the iPhone penetration will continue to grow.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 03 November 2009 04:20 PM #23

The Boy Genius Report has their finished review of the Droid. It seems to be the perfect thing for those that like this sot of thing. But will consumers buy the geeky hype?

• Posted: 03 November 2009 11:30 PM #24

willrob - 03 November 2009 08:20 PM

The Boy Genius Report has their finished review of the Droid. It seems to be the perfect thing for those that like this sot of thing. But will consumers buy the geeky hype?

The losers here are: The Palm Pre, the RIM BlackBerry line and even more significantly what’s left of the Windows Mobile market. The iPhone will emerge essentially untouched by the release.

I’ll reiterate an important point: The high-profile Droid campaign has brought to the forefront the fact Verizon will not be getting the iPhone. That may actually be a net loss for Verizon.

• Posted: 04 November 2009 11:05 AM #25

The new Droid ad is sorta cool, but doesn’t mention the product at all. Verizon is pouring a lot of money into confusing the public.

Posted: 04 November 2009 01:41 PM #26

Here is a chart on the last Iphone Killer.  The Palm Pre.

My question is will the Droid have any buzz next year or maybe next month.  The market now has a chance to decide if the Droid is worthy of all the Technocrati hype.

• Posted: 04 November 2009 02:11 PM #27

Looks like the Pre has been bought by all who are interested. Now comes the droid. The question is how will it appeal to those outside the geekerati? Yes, it is more open, yes it has a real keyboard, yes it is from Google, but I am not entirely sure that is enough. Maybe a month or two of winning press coverage then a slow fade after it has been around a while… Meanwhile…

The most interesting take from the reviews seems to be that the camera, while a fantastic spec and part of the original i’dont campaign for Verizon, is actually a steaming pile of poo. It might have a flash, and it might have a higher pixel count but it seems that it takes way too long to actually take a picture and the results are just not that good.

So from a customer point of view if they lied about the camera - how do the rest of their claims hold up?

[ Edited: 04 November 2009 02:20 PM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 04 November 2009 06:25 PM #28

Not an official source but it’s too juicy to not post   Via Wired.

Droid users could pay at least an additional $15 to $20 a month on top of their data plan for Exchange access. That means $45 to $50 a month including Exchange support instead of $30 a month for a data-only plan. Droid will be exclusively available on the Verizon network for $200 with a two-year contract.

The higher rate, though, will only apply for customers on a corporate or business account.

?Most customers will pay $30 for the data plan that gets them internet access and push e-mail,? Brenda Raney, a spokesperson for Verizon Wireless told Wired.com.  ?Customers who use an enterprise server are, in general, business customers and an IT department is facilitating the access. [Those] are the ones who need the $50 plan.?

• Posted: 04 November 2009 11:48 PM #29

rattyuk - 04 November 2009 06:11 PM

Looks like the Pre has been bought by all who are interested. Now comes the droid. The question is how will it appeal to those outside the geekerati? Yes, it is more open, yes it has a real keyboard, yes it is from Google, but I am not entirely sure that is enough. Maybe a month or two of winning press coverage then a slow fade after it has been around a while… Meanwhile…

The most interesting take from the reviews seems to be that the camera, while a fantastic spec and part of the original i’dont campaign for Verizon, is actually a steaming pile of poo. It might have a flash, and it might have a higher pixel count but it seems that it takes way too long to actually take a picture and the results are just not that good.

So from a customer point of view if they lied about the camera - how do the rest of their claims hold up?

It’s another entrant in the non-Windows Mobile smartphone market. The product field is getting quite saturated with smartphones lacking really distinguishing characteristics. The Droid will sell, but it may not provide any kind of real gain for Verizon,just another product for consumers to evaluate when making a decision. In other words, it’s not the iPhone and not a competitive threat to the iPhone’s continued sales and share gains.

Posted: 05 November 2009 05:35 AM #30

* PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY
      * NOVEMBER 3, 2009

Motorola’s Droid Is Smart Success for Verizon Users

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

Verizon Wireless customers tend to love the company’s fast 3G network. But many tech-oriented Verizon loyalists gripe about the carrier’s high-end smart phones, which haven’t matched the cachet and versatility of the Apple iPhone sold by AT&T. In fact, some Verizon customers have switched to AT&T simply to get an iPhone.

Attention Verizon customers, the new Motorola Droid may be the answer to customers lust for the Apple iPhone. Walt Mossberg takes on the Droid.

But this week, Verizon is rolling out a device that finally gives it a more credible alternative. This new $200 phone is the Motorola Droid and it’s the first Verizon model to run Google’s Android smart-phone operating system. I’ve been testing the Droid, and while it has some significant drawbacks, I regard it as a success overall. It’s the best super-smart phone Verizon offers, the best Motorola phone I’ve tested and the best hardware so far to run Android. I can recommend the Droid to Verizon loyalists who have lusted for a better smart phone, but don’t want to switch networks.

Like the iPhone, the Droid is really a powerful hand-held computer that happens to make phone calls, and is a platform for numerous third-party programs, or apps. Currently, Android offers over 12,000 apps. That is just a fraction of the 100,000 apps available for the iPhone, but it’s well above what the newer BlackBerry or Palm phones offer.

WSJ Article Link HERE

Disclosure, went long on 50 MOT Jan $7.50’s a month ago anticipating this.

{ to Rat, no I still have my AAPL longs }

Looks like you can reliably make a nice pop betting WITH those trying to unseat AAPL, IF you buy a few weeks before the media push, then SELL a week after the WSJ pumps the candidate.

AP Article that will be in many local papers

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition