PED on Abramsky’s Note

Posted: 30 October 2009 11:43 AM

PED has a story on a research note fro Abramsky   Fortune

Video/Content Opportunities. After music, video content is expected to be the next “exploding” opportunity, but requires overcoming industry rights dysfunctionality, competing with subsidies (cable box, video), and developing the right consumer “offer”. Apple TV, while still a “hobby”, is well positioned to benefit from evolving market dynamics. Apple was less enthusiastic about the online book/newspaper market, given unattractive industry structure.

• Posted: 30 October 2009 03:18 PM #1

Good article but all too brief.  grin

• Posted: 31 October 2009 06:05 PM #2

I’ve spent a few hours with the new Apple TV software. The Radio selections under the Internet category will take a long time to browse. I like the bird songs.

Posted: 31 October 2009 06:17 PM #3

It is a huge upgrade in my view. I love the radio and the video improvements.

Apple TV and videos will take a long time to mature like iTunes and music.  Cable, Satellite, Brick and Mortar stores, and video rentals companies like NetFlix, still command most of the influence over the Studios.

Until internet bandwidth and speed improve and it is more widely available, video rentals over the net via AppleTV will remain a hobby.  I thought otherwise two years ago, but looking at my own viewing habits and experiences, I can see why AppleTV is not the best and easiest movie rental option.

• Posted: 02 November 2009 12:24 PM #4

It stops being a hobby when Apple either kills the project altogether or merges it with the Mini and a serious hard drive.

• Posted: 02 November 2009 12:40 PM #5

Tiger - 02 November 2009 04:24 PM

It stops being a hobby when Apple either kills the project altogether or merges it with the Mini and a serious hard drive.

I hope NOT!  I for one don’t want a keyboard and mouse in my living room.  Just a simple remote, comfy couch and some popcorn please.  And there’s no need for a larger internal drive when all your media can live on either your desktop, or external HD and stream flawlessly to the AppleTV.

AppleTV works great for me as it is, and I’ve actually begun renting movies again after a long time of feeling like I “HAD” to buy DVDs instead.  My DVD purchases have dropped to almost zero in the two or so years I’ve had my AppleTV.

• Posted: 02 November 2009 02:06 PM #6

Same here. 

I think it might cease to be a hobby when the lines between TVs and computers become more blurred.  Heck I don’t have a TV any more.  Just the biggest computer monitor I can get and run it all through HuLu and iTunes.  I only miss sports and for that I return to the “old” media of reading the news.

What I don’t like is the idea of subscription services.  I don’t want another bill, which is what subscriptions essentially turn into.  Advertisements are fine.  But I left cable TV primarily because I didn’t like paying $100 a month for 120 channels when I only wanted 3.

Now…if I could perhaps pay $2 a channel and I pick the channels?  With a download?  Maybe we are on to something

• Posted: 02 November 2009 03:17 PM #7

If they would put blu-ray and hdtv-cable tuner with card reader (Common Interface) in aTV or MacMini, that would hit the spot.
    You’d get all optical disk based content, all VoD from the net / iTunes and all broadcasting with timeshift and recording.
    All from 3 worlds in one device!
    Sadly this is unlikely never happen as long as Apple keep fighting against windmills (blu-ray)...

• Posted: 02 November 2009 03:24 PM #8

Newguy - 02 November 2009 06:06 PM

Now…if I could perhaps pay $2 a channel and I pick the channels?  With a download?  Maybe we are on to something

We have this here in Helsinki; 25? & pick 8 channels from over 60.
    You can change your channels every month without additional fee.
    But still no HD channels in this “Welho Mix” service…

• Posted: 03 November 2009 01:28 AM #9

I don’t have an Apple TV and I am not that familiar with it but I think if Apple wanted to take it to the next level it would be to allowed plug-ins to add features. Being able to watch videos from Hulu and Joost would be a big plus an make it worth the purchase price for that feature alone….at least to me. The ability to play flash and shockwave games on it would be another plus.