Old MacBook Pro Airport problems

• Posted: 03 November 2009 06:17 PM

Hi. I have an original 15” MacBook Pro, 2.16 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, no longer under AppleCare. I’m running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and have a problem with the AirPort failing after being used for some time.

I don’t know if it’s heat-related or time-related, but whether I’m connected to my AirPort Extreme at home or the Linksys access points at work, it works just fine for 20-30 minutes, then loses the connection. The AirPort indicator in the menu bar cycles as if it is searching for a network but is unable to connect to anything.

I’ve seen some posts on the Apple support forums suggesting that others are experiencing similar problems but getting no info from Apple.

So, any suggestions? Is there somewhere I can look for error messages to see what’s actually going on?

Thanks—

Posted: 12 November 2009 03:41 PM #1

I’d say run the Console application located in Applications > Utilities. There are a couple of logs in there: system.log and console.log come to mind - which list all the errors and events logged by the system and applications, all of which are timestamped. Perhaps this is a good place to start. If you could post a snippet of that log file (copy / paste) here, around the time you experienced an Airport disconnect, that would be helpful. Also if you scroll down the list of log files on the left hand side (if there aren’t any there should be a menu command to show the list), you’ll see system.0 .1 etc log files - these are log files from previous days / weeks. There might be the same for console as well (console.0…).

Signature

—Kirschen / macgeekette / aviatrix / software engineerkirschen on twitter

Posted: 16 November 2009 11:05 PM #2

Do you have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard? or is BlueTooth enabled?  IF so,  disable the bluetooth and see what happens.  This is a frustrating issue as you must wait for the failure.. :(