Mapping a drive

• Posted: 03 November 2009 07:01 PM

A pod-cast or two ago I could swear someone called and offered a tip regarding auto mounting drives.  I have my drives auto mounting but finding the opening of the windows annoying.  I have re-listened to the past couple of pod-casts but I’m missing the tip.  Did anyone catch that or did I just have a bad trip?

Thanks!

Brad

Posted: 04 November 2009 12:34 AM #1

You have them automount in the Login Items, ya?

You can ‘hide’ the login item.. have you tried that check box?

Image Attachments

Screen shot 2009-11-04 at 1.33.10 PM.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

• Posted: 05 November 2009 12:57 AM #2

Thanks for the reply but even checking that box they still open up.

• Posted: 06 November 2009 11:05 PM #3

brussell - 05 November 2009 04:57 AM

Thanks for the reply but even checking that box they still open up.

Generally the Finder remembers what state the drive was in when ejected. If you close all windows before ejecting, none should open when it is mounted again. Does that make sense or am I not understanding the question?

• Posted: 08 November 2009 02:35 AM #4

Thanks for the reply.  That would make sense to me if they were removable drives but these are network drives that are never ejected. Or maybe I not understanding how that works.  What I’m trying to do is have a couple of network drives mount and be accesible but not have their windows open up on startup.

Thanks!

Brad

Posted: 08 November 2009 08:24 PM #5

Once the drive is mounted once, drag its icon from the header of the Finder window into the sidebar of the same. That’s how I’ve done it with my network drives, and it leaves me access to the drives without having to see the window on each reboot.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 12 November 2009 03:27 PM #6

And then there’s Bonjour Mounter mentioned in MGG 221 - which works with Mac OS X 10.5+. The license is $15 per computer.

—kirschen

Signature

—Kirschen / macgeekette / aviatrix / software engineerkirschen on twitter

• Posted: 13 November 2009 01:03 AM #7

Yeah everything I try the finder windows still open.  Thanks passing this on I was starting to think I was going crazy because I couldn’t find that reference.  I’ll give it a try.

• Posted: 13 November 2009 02:48 PM #8

Simply make an Applescript - it will cost you nothing.  Save it as an app with no splash screen, and add it to log in items:

mount volume “cifs://DOMAIN;username:password@192.168.1.1/Share”

OR

mount volume “afp://username:password@192.168.1.1/Volume”

Replace the IP address with the address of the server you want to connect to.  You must get the volume name and/or the share name exactly right.  Use Get Info to find out what they are.

• Posted: 13 November 2009 09:13 PM #9

Dave Hamilton - 09 November 2009 12:24 AM

Once the drive is mounted once, drag its icon from the header of the Finder window into the sidebar of the same. That’s how I’ve done it with my network drives, and it leaves me access to the drives without having to see the window on each reboot.

This is the method I use too ... when the drives are unmounted there is a question mark instead of the usual drive icon ... and I simply click on the question mark to mount the respective drive/drives.

Good luck smile