Verizon and the iPhone: The Rumor That Doesn’t End

Posted: 06 November 2009 08:12 PM

Report: Apple to launch Verizon iPhone in Q3 2010

A new report citing sources in the Taiwan handset supply chain says Apple has contracted to produce a UMTS/CDMA hybrid iPhone due in the third quarter of next year that will enable the company to sell a single global handset to all carriers, and specifically to Verizon Wireless in the US.

I don’t know about the validity of this but it sounds promising.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 08 November 2009 04:33 PM #1

I think that Apple needs to publicly announce their plans for a Verizon as soon as possible.  If they announce that they will launch a Verizon phone in June, it would criple Droid sales and create a huge backlog of people waiting to buy the iPhone.  More than a quarter of Verizon users will be renewing 2 year contracts between now and June, thats a lot of people that will need to wait 2 more years till they can buy an iPhone. Not to mention all of the people on other carriers that would hold off on renewing a contract if they new they could get an iPhone on Verizon

• Posted: 08 November 2009 06:04 PM #2

WillyPitt - 08 November 2009 08:33 PM

I think that Apple needs to publicly announce their plans for a Verizon as soon as possible.  If they announce that they will launch a Verizon phone in June, it would criple Droid sales and create a huge backlog of people waiting to buy the iPhone.

It would also negatively impact migration of existing Verizon customers who are flocking to AT&T for the iPhone. I don’t see a Verizon phone in June. I suspect AT&T will keep its exclusive arrangement through the next refresh.

Droid sales aren’t a concern. The product will fail on its own without Apple’s help or hindrance. While I expect Android 2.0 phones to do modestly well in the market, the Droid will not be a catalyst for sales. I consider Verizon’s inept advertising and marketing of the device to be a virtually unmitigated disaster.

• Posted: 08 November 2009 06:16 PM #3

Verizon needs the iPhone far more than Apple needs Verizon for the iPhone. Supply restraints remain in place and there’s a global market to satisfy. I see nothing in the comments of Verizon’s management that suggest the company acknowledges one of the biggest corporate blunders of the decade (passing on the iPhone initially) nor that they are willing to concede control of the handset in favor of promoting iPhone sales. The iPhone’s marketing is the antithesis of Verizon’s market approach - focusing on the service at the expense of the brand value of the phone

For now I see Verizon as the wrong partner.

The Droid campaign is a marvelous example of marketing done wrong. The phone had potential, but not the way Verizon has brought it to market.

• Posted: 08 November 2009 09:17 PM #4

New Verizon ad calls iPhone ‘misfit toy’

“Rumor had it that this was an isolated attempt at leveraging publicity for the new Motorola device. However, this new ad shows that the iPhone is firmly on Verizon’s list. And it’s not Verizon’s Christmas list.

“The ad places the iPhone on the mythical Island of Misfit Toys. It’s an island inhabited solely by those things you don’t need, don’t want and don’t work.”

I don’t think Mr. Jobs will anoint Verizon anytime soon. And how much did V want for Droid tethering priveleges? How in the name of all that’s holy could any firm make AT&T look good these days? I guess next, V will ask, “Would you buy a phone from a man who had a liver transplant?”

Posted: 09 November 2009 11:19 AM #5

DawnTreader - 08 November 2009 10:04 PM

I think that Apple needs to publicly announce their plans for a Verizon as soon as possible.  If they announce that they will launch a Verizon phone in June, it would criple Droid sales and create a huge backlog of people waiting to buy the iPhone.

It would also negatively impact migration of existing Verizon customers who are flocking to AT&T for the iPhone.

Exactly. I FINALLY left Verizon two weeks ago (after holding out for the last year, hoping for confirmation of the iPhone on Verizon) and purchased my first iPhone. If I knew that the iPhone was coming to Verizon, I would have patiently waited until that launch. (though, I must admit, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at AT&T coverage in the Little Rock/Dallas area so far).

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

• Posted: 09 November 2009 12:34 PM #6

ConMan - 09 November 2009 03:19 PM
    DawnTreader - 08 November 2009 10:04 PM

It would also negatively impact migration of existing Verizon customers who are flocking to AT&T for the iPhone.

Exactly. I FINALLY left Verizon two weeks ago (after holding out for the last year, hoping for confirmation of the iPhone on Verizon) and purchased my first iPhone. If I knew that the iPhone was coming to Verizon, I would have patiently waited until that launch. (though, I must admit, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at AT&T coverage in the Little Rock/Dallas area so far).

I’ve mentioned several times as soon as the public is advised in a definitive way the iPhone is not coming to Verizon anytime soon defections from Verizon would pickup in pace.