Wrong Side of History

• Posted: 25 November 2009 03:06 AM

And our favorite fruit company has an unsightly bruise because of the high visibility bailing on the C o C over the C o C position on global warming.

algore ? What have you done?

Board members shouldn?t be seen as thieves, Schmidt, or liars, Gore.

Some patching up is in order.

Has Apple really come very far from Steves’ garages.

Posted: 25 November 2009 09:24 AM #1

Dan, you’re on the wrong side of current events. I teach at a university and Apple gained student mindshare over this and their other efforts to reduce toxic components and to be more transparent about the carbon footprint of their products.

You need to get out more.

Signature

Natura naturans

Posted: 25 November 2009 10:49 AM #2

tourist - 25 November 2009 01:24 PM

Dan, you’re on the wrong side of current events. I teach at a university and Apple gained student mindshare over this and their other efforts to reduce toxic components and to be more transparent about the carbon footprint of their products.

Let me get this straight. Apples view on global warming and its decision to remove itself from the Chamber of Commerce, was all about marketing. They polled the students, at your university, about global warming, and used that poll to set company policy. I’m a stock holder and I don’t remember anyone from Apple requesting my opinion. I am also a consumer of Apple products. Doesn’t that seem a bit strange to you?

:apple:

• Posted: 25 November 2009 10:55 AM #3

MacCube - 25 November 2009 02:49 PM
    tourist - 25 November 2009 01:24 PM

Let me get this straight. Apples view on global warming and its decision to remove itself from the Chamber of Commerce, was all about marketing. They polled the students, at your university, about global warming, and used that poll to set company policy. I’m a stock holder and I don’t remember anyone from Apple requesting my opinion. I am also a consumer of Apple products. Doesn’t that seem a bit strange to you?

:apple:

It would seem a bit strange if Tourist had actually stated any of those things…,which he didn’t.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 25 November 2009 11:00 AM #4

Sorry Dan, we must be on different threads because your attempt to “get it straight” seems more imaginative than based on anything I said. Well, good luck with that.

As for whether I find it strange that you are not polled by Apple when they have a decision to make because you are a stockholder, the answer is no, I don’t find it strange at all.

Signature

Natura naturans

Posted: 25 November 2009 03:32 PM #5

The move out of the Neanderthal US Chamber of Commerce was an excellent move that shows not only that Apple is a responsible corporation, but that it also cares about the values of its young customers.  Al Gore is a responsible member of the Apple board of directors, and adds solid long-term insights that are so terribly lacking in most American corporations, who care only about immediately satisfying shareholders and enriching the bank accounts of top employees.  This short-term thinking is detrimental to the future of America.  Thank God Steve Jobs is a Democrat with a long-term vision, or Apple would have long ago followed the Dell path to short-term profits, low costs, and lack of distinctive products.  Michael Dell should dissolve his Texas company and give the proceeds back to the shareholders.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 04:01 PM #6

My post was intended to highlight the current fallacy of global warming, carbon footprints, and man’s destruction of the globe. The collusion of the pro warming science researchers so recently revealed gives lie to the whole foundation of the warming movement. I know when I’ve been lied to. I know when I’ve been misled. From here it seems that Apple’s stance is awkwardly in support of the junk science crowd.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 04:07 PM #7

It could be said of the students supporting Apples stance that they may have been schooled in environmental studies with a bias towards human culpability.

Posted: 25 November 2009 04:15 PM #8

I think that if you believe that the collusion fable is proof that there is no such thing as human-induced global warming, you are sadly mistaken.  It is beyond comprehension that we can burn a huge share of the world’s stored carbon in a few short years with no impact.  Keep an open mind; it is not a conspiracy to take away your SUV.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 04:22 PM #9

danthemason - 25 November 2009 08:01 PM

My post was intended to highlight the current fallacy of global warming, carbon footprints, and man’s destruction of the globe. The collusion of the pro warming science researchers so recently revealed gives lie to the whole foundation of the warming movement. I know when I’ve been lied to. I know when I’ve been misled. From here it seems that Apple’s stance is awkwardly in support of the junk science crowd.

I’m in agreement that the global warming thing has been a sham…,at least parts of it.  We don’t yet know if Apple will turn out to be supportive of the Junk Science crowd or not.  They are committed to responsible manufacturing processes and efficient use of materials.  Steve was green before they called it that.  This will serve them well regardless.  Said it before and I’ll say it again.  Don’t really think anybody cares about the chamber of commerce.

On a personal note (smoker) it will be interesting to see if this is all ignored the way the evidence of the EPA doctoring the smoking research was.  They were caught red handed manipulating data and yet the bogus report is still readily available on their website and states still use the study to ban smoking in public places.  The world health organization did the largest (and longest) study on the effects of second hand smoke and determined that milk had a higher incidence of cancer causation.  I’m highly suspicious the destruction of the warming data will be treated about the same.

Signature

• Posted: 25 November 2009 04:25 PM #10

Firestorm
    We tend to be anthropocentric in our views. You state that we are guilty by virtue of having burned up a century’s worth of fossil fuels. The data says we have not caused any warming.  And that is the state of things.

Opinion that we must have had an impact is just that, opinion. To that we are all entitled. You are not however entitled to your own facts.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 04:36 PM #11

firestorm - 25 November 2009 08:15 PM

I think that if you believe that the collusion fable is proof that there is no such thing as human-induced global warming, you are sadly mistaken.  It is beyond comprehension that we can burn a huge share of the world’s stored carbon in a few short years with no impact.  Keep an open mind; it is not a conspiracy to take away your SUV.

We don’t know what the results of the data truly was because it was destroyed.  No impact…,little impact,...,more than a little impact….,we don’t know.  Getting the Saudi’s out of our politics and economy would be a great thing.  Reducing waste and manufacturing with the health of your employees and customers in mind would be a great thing.  Responsible human beings left to their own devices will do these things of their own accord.  These people aren’t evil…,they’re your brothers, sisters, cousins, neighbors etc.  They breathe the air, drink the water and eat the same food as you. There are always a few bad apples to be sure…,put THEM in jail.  AAPL has never been one of them.

Signature

Posted: 25 November 2009 04:41 PM #12

I find it interesting that a lot of people using the label “junk science” to label climate science are adherents of creationism and place the age of the earth at about 6,000 years and believe people coexisted with dinosaurs.  When the right-wing uses the words “science” or “junk science,” be aware; be very aware.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 04:42 PM #13

Apple’s decisions to use recyclable components and eliminate toxic elements from the manufacture of products is smart and commendable. No one at the C of C told industry that they should pollute more.

The C of C questioned the move to carbon allowances, credits, offsets, and trading. This move was encouraged by the global warming emergency proffered by the UN and the major media and the education establishment and the democrat party.

I say that the warmists’ behaviors were wrong, immoral, unethical, and criminal. And Apple was on the wrong side.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 05:05 PM #14

Carbon moved from earth in whatever way into the atmosphere is blanketing the earth. No data denies that. The problem in interpreting the data begins with the idea of warming our atmosphere, when in fact the CO2 is shielding us from the sun’s heat. Lessening the amount of CO2 put into the atmosphere will cause warming. It’s a conundrum.

But the effects of manufactured pollution are easier to measure?higher cancer rates, birth defects, loss of marine life, polluted water ways. Almost all of this is the direct result of human life on earth ? our demand for convenience, technology, animal meat (those beef, pork and chicken “farm” produce more waste than the human population) and the profits to be derived from dwindling resources.

• Posted: 25 November 2009 05:24 PM #15

And we all are living longer and eating more Bar B Que. The air in California is cleaner, fish are in the rivers around Pittsburgh. New technologies will change the propulsion of our driving machines. Education and inventiveness and capitalism will fuel the contentment of larger populations.