SNMP with MRTG (As discussed on MGG 228)

• Posted: 04 December 2009 09:53 PM

Hello again everyone,

Right now I am trying to get MRTG (Multi-router traffic grapher) running to communicate with my AirPort router over SNMP. My goal is to write simple step-by-step instructions for anyone who wants to use this software to monitor their AirPort router.

I am following the guide on this website: http://mrtg.darwinports.com/

Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful at installing Darwin Ports (step 1). I am able to download and install the provided .pkg file for DarwinPorts 1.7. However when following the second step of the installation process, where I launch the terminal and run the command “sudo port -d selfupdate” I get the following error:

dlopen(/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
      /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
      while executing
    “load /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib”
      (“package ifneeded Pextlib 1.0” script)
      invoked from within
    “package require Pextlib 1.0”
      (file “/opt/local/bin/port” line 40)

Does anybody know how I can get past this error? Lots of good karma to anyone who sends me in the right direction?

Signature

Your Average 18-year-old Mac Geek,
    -alex

Posted: 10 December 2009 11:36 AM #1

I remember running into a lot of difficulty installing MRTG.  I think I gave up on Darwin Ports, and installed it from Fink.

You could also try MacPorts.  I remember goggling the heck out of how to install this package, and I think I remember reading other people had problems using Darwin Ports… but it’s all a bit fuzzy now.  Hope that helps some.