AirPort Extreme Port Forwarding Assistance Sought

• Posted: 28 December 2009 07:58 PM #16

Well, I believe I’ve done it.  I’m at home, on the network in question, but I’m using my employer’s VPN, so I’m essentially not coming from this, my home network.  I’m using DDNS, one provided by the surveillance company (Lorex) and one from DynDNS.com… and each one seems to work.  Looking forward to leaving our home to try remotely, just to make sure.

I have DHCP enabled on the DVR box.  So, no static IP, which I envision will be problematic, eventually.  When I disable DHCP on the DVR, I lose visability via the web…  Can I make this box static from within the APE?

EDIT / ADD:  Just got off the phone with Lorex, the surveillance company, and cs rep thinks that the APE has something called DHCP reservation.  If indeed so, she said to reserve the current IP to the MAC address of the DVR.  Seems very similar to a static IP, but whatever.  If anyone knows how to do DHCP reservation, please share.  I’ll of course look and research the web, but thought I’d update this thread…

[ Edited: 29 December 2009 04:06 PM by HammockGuy ]      
  • Posted: 30 December 2009 01:17 AM #17

You’ve probably worked this out already, but you can assign an IP address to a MAC address in Airport Utility under Internet Connections - under the DHCP tab there is a DHCP reservations area. This assumes you are using the APE for the PPPoE internet connection - these options disappear if you the APE is connected to the internet via ethernet.

For what it’s worth, I did try that - allocating an fixed IP address to the ATA - but it didn’t work for me.

I eventually solved my issue by deduction - with a little help from APE’s helpful feedback. My final setup is:

DSL phone line—> DSL modem (bridged)—> ATA adaptor (NAT mode)—> APE (also bridged). In this arrangement the ATA is doing all the IP distribution work, the benefit being that I can now use QoS features on it. PPPoE is also set up on the ATA. The APE still drives my wireless setup, printers and external network drives - all that just kept working.

Don’t know if that helps your situation.

• Posted: 30 December 2009 02:39 AM #18

I appreciate the feedback.  I was able to use DHCP Reservation which seems to have done the trick.  I’ll power cycle the DVR to see if the IP address sticks…

I was able to view our surveillance cameras from my mom’s house, which was really cool.

This software used to view the cameras is called DVR Netview, and is really clunky.  I was led to believe that it works on Firefox, which I could use on Mac.  It runs ok on IE, and I can’t even get it work with Firefox, on a pc, with IE add-ons. I won’t even bother with it on our Mac.  Sucks, as I was hoping to get my first Mac notebook or soon-to-be tablet, but if I can’t view view these cameras while away, check-out alerts, make changes, I’ll have to balk on that purchase.  Maybe I can somehow lose DVR Netview on the DVR box.  That’s for another day…  Thanks much.

Posted: 30 December 2009 01:39 PM #19

I’m sure you did this, but did you configure Quicktime to stream on http and port 80 before running DVR Netview?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 30 December 2009 02:02 PM #20

Intruder - 30 December 2009 05:39 PM

I’m sure you did this, but did you configure Quicktime to stream on http and port 80 before running DVR Netview?

Thanks Intruder.  Are you thinking that if I do this, it might work on a Mac?

I would have, but the directions in the manual (Lorex) has references to Quicktime, only for the four camera system.  For those with 8 and 16 camera systems, it instructs otherwise (to bypass that part re Quicktime)...

Also, I’m using port 85, as instructed in the manual, for security reasons.

Posted: 30 December 2009 10:47 PM #21

That was my thought. It was only from some cursory looking. I did not examine how many cameras it referred to.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…