Is Microsoft Cool Again?

Poll: Is Microsoft Cool Again?
Total Votes: 45
Ultra Cool
Medium Cool
Still Uncool

Posted: 15 December 2009 11:00 PM

n a stunning victory, a Zeta Interactive report conducted for Brandweek concludes that Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is the most buzz-worthy brand of the year.

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2009/12/15/is-microsoft-cool-again.aspx?source=ihpsitota0000001&lidx=2

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 15 December 2009 11:31 PM #1

You’re quoting the fool? MSFT has more than ten times the user as Apple but could even double Apple’s fanboy count. Shame, shame.

I’ll spin back into my corner now.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 15 December 2009 11:45 PM #2

Eric Landstrom - 16 December 2009 03:31 AM

You’re quoting the fool? MSFT has more than ten times the user as Apple but could even double Apple’s fanboy count. Shame, shame.

Ad hominem.

Signature

• Posted: 19 December 2009 10:52 PM #3

calebcar - 16 December 2009 03:45 AM

Ad hominem.

Ad hominem?  I fail to see where you were attacked instead of your argument.

• Posted: 20 December 2009 01:16 AM #4

Cool?  No.

Posted: 20 December 2009 01:18 AM #5

Zeke - 20 December 2009 02:52 AM

Ad hominem.

(Wili)An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: “argument toward the person” or “argument against the person”) is an argument which links the validity of a premise to an irrelevant characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

I did not ask advocate the premise. I quoted the headline to generate discussion. Motley Foold argued the premise, and based it on data.

Signature

Posted: 20 December 2009 02:10 AM #6

calebcar - 20 December 2009 05:18 AM

You’re quoting the fool? MSFT has more than ten times the users as Apple but couldn’t even double Apple’s fanboy count. Shame, shame.

Ad hominem.

(Wili)An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: “argument toward the person” or “argument against the person”) is an argument which links the validity of a premise to an irrelevant characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

I did not ask advocate the premise. I quoted the headline to generate discussion. Motley Foold argued the premise, and based it on data.

I made two arguments neither of which were against your person.

The Fool is not a qualified authority. Moreover, comparing MSFT to AAPL in a popularity contest amounts to special pleading because MSFT has ten times the user base.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 22 December 2009 11:10 AM #7

calebcar - 20 December 2009 05:18 AM

Ad hominem.

Go learn what a logical fallacy is, then come back to us.

Now that’s?ad hominem.

Posted: 22 December 2009 11:46 AM #8

Annnnnnyway

Back on topic

Microsoft may be getting more buzz but it’s only because Win7 is not as bad as Vista. That they are are showing signs of Competence is why there’s more buzz. Cool? Blue suit Microsoft Cool? Buggy DOS scripts STILL in their systems Microsoft Cool? Turd-like Zune Cool?

No.

Oh they are trying to act like they’re cool, but it’s like a balding middle aged chubby guy trying to dance at a hip-hop concert.

It just doesn’t work.

[ Edited: 22 December 2009 12:38 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 22 December 2009 01:56 PM #9

geoduck - 22 December 2009 03:46 PM

Annnnnnyway

Back on topic

Microsoft may be getting more buzz but it’s only because Win7 is not as bad as Vista. That they are are showing signs of Competence is why there’s more buzz. Cool? Blue suit Microsoft Cool? Buggy DOS scripts STILL in their systems Microsoft Cool? Turd-like Zune Cool?

No.

Oh they are trying to act like they’re cool, but it’s like a balding middle aged chubby guy trying to dance at a hip-hop concert.

It just doesn’t work.

Not as bad is the new good at Microsoft!

Theme Music.

[ Edited: 22 December 2009 02:00 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Posted: 22 December 2009 02:15 PM #10

Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 05:56 PM

The new MS Ad campaign:

Microsoft: Not as bad as we were!
    Microsoft: We’re getting better!
    Microsoft: Slooooooooooooooow improvement for 30 years.
    Microsoft: FINALLY starting to get it.
    Microsoft:  :dunce: no more

Signature

Posted: 22 December 2009 02:51 PM #11

geoduck - 22 December 2009 06:15 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 05:56 PM

The new MS Ad campaign:

Microsoft: Not as bad as we were!
    Microsoft: We’re getting better!
    Microsoft: Slooooooooooooooow improvement for 30 years.
    Microsoft: FINALLY starting to get it.
    Microsoft:  :dunce: no more

I’ve got to admit that I’m thinking about going back to Microsoft Exchange since the search in Apple’s mail doesn’t allow search by title only and I’m going batty trying to find “BAC 2010 forecast” and the like when mail retrieves everything with “BAC” and “2010” and “forecast” in the body of every saved email.

Signature

Posted: 22 December 2009 02:58 PM #12

I agree. MS does some things well. At this moment I’m working with an AD network scattered over a dozen or so sites, a couple dozen subnets, and most of British Columbia. I can sit here and reach in and fiddle with anyone’s computer, stop processes, and such. I seldom need to go onsite any more.

But cool? No.

Signature

Posted: 22 December 2009 02:58 PM #13

Download and give THUNDERBIRD MAIL a try, the same folks that brought you FIREFOX.

Nice program, integrates perfectly as well.

LINK TO THUNDERBIRD SITE

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 22 December 2009 03:04 PM #14

Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 06:51 PM

search in Apple’s mail doesn’t allow search by title only

I admit I never had to work with MS OperatingSystems of whatever taste. If with “Title” you refer to the subject line then Mail in OSX has this search option.

In reference to the title of this Thread: Is Microsoft Cool Again? implies that MS WAS cool sometime ago - well I don’t know.

• Posted: 22 December 2009 04:20 PM #15

Short answer:  No!

Long answer:  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!