Total Votes: 45
Ultra Cool
Medium Cool
Still Uncool

Posted: 22 December 2009 04:59 PM #16

ghobi - 22 December 2009 07:04 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 06:51 PM

search in Apple’s mail doesn’t allow search by title only

I admit I never had to work with MS OperatingSystems of whatever taste. If with “Title” you refer to the subject line then Mail in OSX has this search option.

In reference to the title of this Thread: Is Microsoft Cool Again? implies that MS WAS cool sometime ago - well I don’t know.

Then I’m stuck on stupid: how do you use this search by subject line only function?

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 22 December 2009 05:37 PM #17

Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 08:59 PM

Then I’m stuck on stupid: how do you use this search by subject line only function?

Here’s my workaround: I keep a junk smart mailbox around named “Search”... To search for something based on a complex criteria I just edit the smart mailbox’s definition (right-click on the mailbox, pick “Edit smart mailbox”). Quite powerful: multiple expressions (i.e. from “bob”, with the subject “foo” etc) and also exact matching of strings like you were requesting (subject is equal to “my dog has fleas”)

• Posted: 22 December 2009 07:56 PM #18

Sorry for the delay. Time difference.

If you enter a searchword in Mail and you get the results, then there is a line of buttons to filter the searches. They tell Mail where to look for the searchword. I try to put a pic here:

Image Attachments

Mail_Demo.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Posted: 22 December 2009 11:37 PM #19

Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 05:56 PM
    geoduck - 22 December 2009 03:46 PM

Annnnnnyway

Back on topic

Microsoft may be getting more buzz but it’s only because Win7 is not as bad as Vista. That they are are showing signs of Competence is why there’s more buzz. Cool? Blue suit Microsoft Cool? Buggy DOS scripts STILL in their systems Microsoft Cool? Turd-like Zune Cool?

No.

Oh they are trying to act like they’re cool, but it’s like a balding middle aged chubby guy trying to dance at a hip-hop concert.

It just doesn’t work.

Not as bad is the new good at Microsoft!

Theme Music.

I consider myself warned. I will no longer dance at hop-hop concerts. :-(

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 04 January 2010 12:10 AM #20

I started this thread a month ago. Since then I got Windows 7 on my office pc. I’ve also been watching the media campaign, and my conclusion is, Microsoft is definitely cool again. Window’s 7 is a definite improvement on Windows xp and Vista. It does not have as many annoying popups and crapula. Observing the Microsoft ad campaign, I am reminded of the McDonalds turnaround. Not long ago, McDonalds was associated with taking kids to play on slides and crappy food. I think that MSFT is trying to do what McDonalds did- be omnipresent comfortable, hip but not too hip. In other words, they are not going to give you a good reason to go anywhere else.

The future for Apple is still bright. Microsoft has apparently abandoned the mobile market, where the real growth is. But I think the days of “I’m a Mac, I’m a PC.”  having a real impact is over. It speaks well for Apple that they took the advantage of the enemy shooting themselves in the foot as well as they did. But you can’t expect that advantage to go on forever.

Signature

• Posted: 04 January 2010 12:30 AM #21

The issue is how well can they execute from here. Microsoft are very used to large sums of money flooding in every quarter because of their size. Also their omnipresence meant that had very little to do to get that money coming in.

At the moment they are still in trouble because they are run by Ballmer - until he leaves they are still going to fail - the man is the antithesis of Jobs: No vision, no interest no grasp on what is needed to succeed. If every anyone has coasted on other people’s work then it is Ballmer.

But he did the deal with IBM that sealed the company’s fate so he may feel he is entitled to it.

Signature

• Posted: 04 January 2010 12:38 AM #22

Fixing Vista doesn’t make MS cool again, but it has garnered MS some respect.  The hardware running Windows 7 is still pretty uninspiring.  WinMo 7 is probably stillborn.  MS ruined Office 2007 with the ribbon (for me anyway).  The XBox hardware is more apt to crash and burn than anything else.  Bing is progress for them, but I wouldn’t look to it to resuscitate MSFT.

I saw Ballmer in Starbucks yesterday.  No one noticed him, except me.  He noticed my MacBook Air amidst other PCs (boring ones all).  He even seemed to register some chagrin my way.  He seems like a sympathetic guy now, given the lackluster performance of its stock over the last 10 years. 

Anyone hear that he’s had enough?  I would like to own MSFT on the day he steps down.

Posted: 04 January 2010 12:52 AM #23

Mercel - 04 January 2010 04:38 AM

Fixing Vista doesn’t make MS cool again, but it has garnered MS some respect.  The hardware running Windows 7 is still pretty uninspiring.  WinMo 7 is probably stillborn.  MS ruined Office 2007 with the ribbon (for me anyway).  The XBox hardware is more apt to crash and burn than anything else.  Bing is progress for them, but I wouldn’t look to it to resuscitate MSFT.

I saw Ballmer in Starbucks yesterday.  No one noticed him, except me.  He noticed my MacBook Air amidst other PCs (boring ones all).  He even seemed to register some chagrin my way.  He seems like a sympathetic guy now, given the lackluster performance of its stock over the last 10 years. 

Anyone hear that he’s had enough?  I would like to own MSFT on the day he steps down.

My sentiments exactly. Vista was a disaster, to which MS had nowhere to go but up. It is a shame to their stockholders that the company didn’t choose to focus more their efforts on improving their OS, and instead spending more of their time taking half-baked forays expanding into other markets (game platforms, music/music players, future concepts, etc.).

I personally hope that they are taking Apple more seriously, as the competition would be good for spurring continuous improvement.

Signature

I’m not Capt. Walker. I’m the guy who keeps Mr. Dead in his pocket.
    - Mad Max

• Posted: 04 January 2010 01:34 AM #24

Lester Bangs: They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool.
    William Miller: I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn’t.

Can’t be something you never were.  My kids (24yr. old siliconvalleyite and 21yr. old college kid) are home with friends over.  According to them everyone they know either has a Mac or is determined to have one for their next computer.  I’m starting to think the boulder is now clearly over the top of the mountain and starting to roll down the hill.  Many here still act like enterprise matters.  I’m not sure that is true any longer.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 04 January 2010 09:18 AM #25

If MSFT is doing better, (I think I get that I’m in a minority here) I think it raises more of a threat to GOOGlE than apple.

Vs Google the question is, “Am I willing to pay for something or do I want to try to make it thru life with free software?”

Vs AAPL the question is, “Am I willing to pay a premium for something better?”

Signature

• Posted: 04 January 2010 09:28 AM #26

BillH - 04 January 2010 05:34 AM

My kids (24yr. old siliconvalleyite and 21yr. old college kid) are home with friends over.  According to them everyone they know either has a Mac or is determined to have one for their next computer.

It’s been said before - these are the people who will be running the tech shops going forward so it looks like Microsoft took it’s eye off the ball at just the wrong point. Interesting times ahead.

Signature

Posted: 04 January 2010 09:30 AM #27

calebcar - 04 January 2010 01:18 PM

If MSFT is doing better, (I think I get that I’m in a minority here) I think it raises more of a threat to GOOGlE than apple.

Vs Google the question is, “Am I willing to pay for something or do I want to try to make it thru life with free software?”

Vs AAPL the question is, “Am I willing to pay a premium for something better?”

I think you are dead on.  If you want cheap then free is as cheap as you get.  The netbook craze proves that some want cheap over functionality.  Microsoft initially lost that market to Linux, what would have happened if Google’s Chrome was a more mature OS would Microsoft been able to muscle back into the netbook space.  Most folks will continue to use what they are comfortable with, they hate change so Microsoft can screw up a-bunch and still have the majority of the market but with the move to mobility the landscape is changing and Microsoft is still stuck in the desktop PC paradigm.

• Posted: 04 January 2010 10:43 AM #28

ghobi - 22 December 2009 07:04 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 22 December 2009 06:51 PM

search in Apple’s mail doesn’t allow search by title only

I admit I never had to work with MS OperatingSystems of whatever taste. If with “Title” you refer to the subject line then Mail in OSX has this search option.

In reference to the title of this Thread: Is Microsoft Cool Again? implies that MS WAS cool sometime ago - well I don’t know.

Me too…,me too!  For the longest time I was pulling my hair out not being able to find things in mail.  It’s a bit of a UI meltdown imho.  I was using the sort fields in Mail the way they are used in iTunes rather than the buttons right above them.  When I finally figured it out I thought about smacking my head up against the wall but thought the resulting trauma would just make things worse.  Stupid is as stupid does and I do stupid really well.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!