Window Dressing

• Posted: 25 December 2009 03:55 PM

I was a bit surprised by the strength of Thursday’s AAPL rally. Obviously rumors about a January Apple special event helped fuel the fire. Other issues include AAPL and an oversold stock and the impact of quarter ending window dressing. Funds want AAPL on their books for quarterly and annual reports to shareholders.

I don’t know how much window dressing will play into demand next week, but movements in and out of the stock might heavy as some AAPL shareholders take gains from this week’s rally and others move into the share for reporting purposes.

This new 52-week (and all-time) high IMHO has been log overdue. No matter the FUD, Apple should have very strong results for the December quarter and the prospects of the much-rumored tablet finally coming to market (or at least Apple’s public acknowledgment the product now exists) as the subject of the January special should add momentum to the share price gains in January.

Posted: 25 December 2009 05:48 PM #1

my view is part of the reason that aapl went up yesterday, has to do with tech momentum.  RIMM reported good numbers and was rewarded.  Latest NPD data and channel/retail checks from analysts all confirm a brisk sale of Mac computers.  Given Apple strength internationally, we can add further momentum to the picture.

Rumors of a tablet only sped up the recovery of the stock that was long overdue.  I have a feeling by end of the week next week, we could see 220 and then trade between that and 205 until earnings.  If the market does not crash, we could easily see aapl at 235 to 240 by end of Jan.

I don’t think it is window dressing but rather a long overdue recognition that Apple survived the recession and is coming back stronger then ever.

In other news, I just got a Time Capsule and love it.

• Posted: 25 December 2009 06:03 PM #2

omacvi - 25 December 2009 09:48 PM

my view is part of the reason that aapl went up yesterday, has to do with tech momentum.  RIMM reported good numbers and was rewarded.  Latest NPD data and channel/retail checks from analysts all confirm a brisk sale of Mac computers.  Given Apple strength internationally, we can add further momentum to the picture.

Rumors of a tablet only sped up the recovery of the stock that was long overdue.  I have a feeling by end of the week next week, we could see 220 and then trade between that and 205 until earnings.  If the market does not crash, we could easily see aapl at 235 to 240 by end of Jan.

I don’t think it is window dressing but rather a long overdue recognition that Apple survived the recession and is coming back stronger then ever.

I have read somewhere that AAPL met the price target for breaking out of a triangle on the 24th, and I read price targets of 232 and 230.

I’ll be delighted with $220 - and would look at closing some Jan $190 and $210 calls near that.  I’d be equally delighted with that trading range and might reload some near that $205 number.  I am as close to 100% in as is possible right now

• Posted: 25 December 2009 06:12 PM #3

omacvi - 25 December 2009 09:48 PM

This must be the new model with the forward going backups. It’s the one with the cristal ball on it. Boy would I love to have one too. Enjoy your new toy and let us participate whenever you fast spin forward.

Nobody can dress Windows so much as to match Apple -  a copy is always a copy.