Apple is getting lots of news coverage

Posted: 30 December 2009 11:19 PM

Is it me or has the news about Apple been really turned up lately?  CNBC all day long either had analysts talking about it or they were talking about the company.  The market loves to prove the majority wrong and with all this news of late makes me wonder if we are not setting up for a quick and strong rally on aapl that will have to be sold off equally hard.  Something to ponder.

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

• Posted: 30 December 2009 11:29 PM #1

I have Apple’s “adjusted earnings” in FY ‘09 working out to about $9.56 per share. Applying a modest p/e of 25 times trailing 12 months earnings works out to a share price of $239. We may see some dips in the share price but there’s lots of room for growth even without amazing Q1 results factored into the formula.

I’m not worried. The best news is yet to come.

Posted: 30 December 2009 11:49 PM #2

I just got a nice kernel panic the first time I tried to type this…

Anyways, I think that Apple will have to keep on innovating to continue growing in its more mature markets (i.e. US, Canada, UK), as there will be a point where demand for products like the Mac, iPod and iPhone will have been met. Though, I fully believe that Apple is capable of that.

Besides, there enormous amounts of growth left in International markets, where Apple’s market share is often miniscule. Speaking of international markets, the first Apple Store will be opening here in Shanghai sometime next year, just in time for the world exposition!

• Posted: 02 January 2010 06:46 AM #3

This is probably just weekend filler

• Posted: 02 January 2010 01:58 PM #4

danthemason - 02 January 2010 10:46 AM

Hmmmm…. Would you want the GM job (considering the percentage of government ownership, the labor issues, political issues, the high-public profile required and of course being everyone’s whipping boy when magic doesn’t happen on everyone’s arbitrary and unrealistic timetables) or remain at Apple, continue becoming extremely wealthy, having a private life and darn good shot (actually the best shot) at stepping into the CEO’s seat when SJ inevitably semi-retires?

• Posted: 02 January 2010 02:29 PM #5

DawnTreader - 02 January 2010 05:58 PM

Hmmmm…. Would you want the GM job (considering the percentage of government ownership, the labor issues, political issues, the high-public profile required and of course being everyone’s whipping boy when magic doesn’t happen on everyone’s arbitrary and unrealistic timetables) or remain at Apple, continue becoming extremely wealthy, having a private life and darn good shot (actually the best shot) at stepping into the CEO’s seat when SJ inevitably semi-retires?

I saw this too, but it has a snowball chance in hell.  General Motors?  Uh, didn’t they just emerge from bankruptcy and more recently hire as President the man responsible for the Pontiac Aztek?  No one needs THAT kind of “challenge.” 

Tim Cook has the best job in the best tech company in America—the world for that matter.  Gooood luck GM.  This rumor belongs in the Sunday funnies.

• Posted: 02 January 2010 03:55 PM #6

Mercel - 02 January 2010 06:29 PM
    DawnTreader - 02 January 2010 05:58 PM

I saw this too, but it has a snowball chance in hell.  General Motors?  Uh, didn’t they just emerge from bankruptcy and more recently hire as President the man responsible for the Pontiac Aztek?  No one needs THAT kind of “challenge.” 

Tim Cook has the best job in the best tech company in America—the world for that matter.  Gooood luck GM.  This rumor belongs in the Sunday funnies.

On the one hand I totally agree with this but still…,if you think you have a modicum of taste and the courage to use a blank sheet of paper when it comes to product…,it could be one of the easier turn arounds ever.  I’m assuming that there is some descent hardware available for the platforms themselves.  There is a decided lack of excitement in the automotive space as everyone heads for the “safe” middle.  (which is decidedly not safe).

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 02 January 2010 05:52 PM #7

I think all the press coverage is nothing but good news for the stock. I’ve noticed a substantive difference in tone toward the iPhone amongst the Wall Street talking heads. The iPhone used to have the ‘entertainment device’ and ‘nice toy’ reputation, but in the last couple of months I’ve seen more and more of these folks talk about it with much more respect. They no longer pull their Blackberries out of their pockets, pointing out as the key ‘serious business device’ and expound about the virtues of the physical keyboard. I think money managers will continue switching many of their Blackberry bets to Apple as sentiment is an important factor in getting a portion of them to really believe in the Apple growth story.

It’s also happening at a great time with the iSlate/iTablet release pending. There will be many that will want to participate in this story early as these opportunities don’t present themselves everyday. I love these hyperbolic trips, but remember that each one contains many doses of reality and disappointment when rumors and expectations become unattainable. However, since each us has some pretty good experience with this as Apple experts, we can navigate this wild ride better than the rest of the herd.

RE: Tim Cook and GM - Perhaps it’s time to think longer term and give Tim the CEO job permanently. Why not give Steve a little less to do and some other noble title (e.g. “Great King of Everything Apple”). What would you do if Tim said, “I’m ready for CEO, either here or somewhere else”?

• Posted: 04 January 2010 04:59 AM #8

Planet of the Apps

Now that’s clever.

[ Edited: 04 January 2010 05:04 AM by danthemason ]      

Posted: 04 January 2010 08:19 AM #9

SHOWTIMES
    Welcome to Macintosh

Premieres Monday, January 4th 9:30p ET

Macheads
    Premieres Tuesday, January 5th 10p ET

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition