John Ive

Posted: 09 January 2010 01:12 PM

This may be an ignorant question as I am not 100% familiar with this gentlemen but could he be the visionary replacement for Steve Jobs when that day comes?  Was watching a great show on CNBC last night about the history of Apple and his name surfaced a little.

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

Posted: 09 January 2010 02:14 PM #1

Runedge, I had never given John Ive any consideration as a Steve Jobs replacement, but you are right that he could be a great choice. I would guess that both men share the same love for design, innovation, an understanding of the market place, and an equal love for Apple. Possibly a good choice.

:apple:

Posted: 09 January 2010 02:44 PM #2

I wouldn’t rule him out, but I think Tim Cook has the inside track.  Anyone who’s been involved in office politics though knows that just because your heir apparent doesn’t get you the job.  IMO Tim Cook did a fine job in SJ extended absence and they gave him 12.3M.

Apple COO Tim Cook has received $12.3 million in Apple stock for stepping in as CEO during Steve Jobs absence earlier this year.

Considering its been a rough couple of years for the economy and many CEOs still got large salaries for doing very little, it’s nice to see Cook being rewarded for, you know, actually doing something and producing results.

In 2007 and 2008 Cook earned stock awards worth $7 million and $6 million, respectively. This year for Tim closes with a $12.3 million stock award plus a $100,00 salary raise (up to $800,000 from $700,000) and a fat cash bonus of $800,000. Total compensation for 2009? $14 million.

Steve Jobs took his usual $1 salary and a $1 bonus. But don’t worry, he’s doing just fine with his 5.5 million shares of Apple (AAPL) stock, which closed Monday at another all-time high of $211.61 a share (that makes Steve’s shares worth a cool $1,163,855,000).

Posted: 09 January 2010 02:50 PM #3

Apple’s CEO as we know is more than about the ability to execute it’s about vision which is something very few CEO’s actually have.  Perhaps they can both co exist for finding another SJ is a generational thing and the void for vision will be missing at least at that level. Anyway, premature conversation as SJ is still in command.  Just a thread for a boring weekend….

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

• Posted: 09 January 2010 03:49 PM #4

JI could make an excellent CEO. Cook is a numbers man - brilliant but he is there to implement the vision. JI runs an entire realm of Apple, he does not design every thing, that would be impossible. Design is not about sudden acts of inspiration. Design is a process that is time intensive. As such JI is like SJ in that he is leading, guiding, inspiring - he is not just sitting in an office designing every piece of hardware in totality.

Posted: 09 January 2010 05:10 PM #5

As much as I really DO ADMIRE the work and creations of Johnny Ives….

...think about it, his “MININALIST to the MAX WORK” is self defeating.

After all, where to you go FROM a slab of glass surrounded by a metal frame? What, take away the metal frame?

Seriously, it is a dead end, once you get down to sub-minimal, all you have left to “design out” is the design itself.
    [img]

[/img]

Two other Maxim’s I have on leadership. NEVER put a bean counter in charge, he will gut out the soul, and NEVER put an artist in control, he will fritter away the need for production.

You want a SALESMAN in charge, one who loves the customers, and doesn’t mind a NO as the first answer to every pitch!

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 09 January 2010 06:36 PM #6

TanToday - 09 January 2010 09:10 PM

Two other Maxim’s I have on leadership. NEVER put a bean counter in charge, he will gut out the soul, and NEVER put an artist in control, he will fritter away the need for production.

You want a SALESMAN in charge, one who loves the customers, and doesn’t mind a NO as the first answer to every pitch!

Agree with you that you never put a Bean Counter or an Artist in Charge for the very reasons you state.

But J Ive is an industrial designer who must operate within the rigours of deadlines, product cycles and so on. He is disciplined in a way that an Artist can never really be.

It is interesting that you see that person as a Salesman, who “loves the customer”. I think Apple regards the Customer as being far more important than the Shareholder. This is such an admirable quality. The end result of this has been that the shareholder has done pretty well out of it for the last few years if you are long).

J Ive also loves the customer. He truly cares about the user experience. As a designer he is also in the business of selling. He has to sell the designs that he and his team produces to the Board all the time. So J Ive not only loves the customer but also is obviously a great salesperson.

Posted: 09 January 2010 07:00 PM #7

author=“benoir” date=“1263094593

It is interesting that you see that person as a Salesman, who “loves the customer”. I think Apple regards the Customer as being far more important than the Shareholder. This is such an admirable quality.

36% margins in a field where 22% margins are more the norm shows they are not adverse to favoring the bottom line over the pocketbooks of consumers. Showing, that once can LOVE the customer, but ONLY those customers that are able to play in your game.

As a 5,500 share holder, this is OK with me.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 09 January 2010 07:06 PM #8

benoir - 09 January 2010 10:36 PM

It is interesting that you see that person as a Salesman, who “loves the customer”. I think Apple regards the Customer as being far more important than the Shareholder. This is such an admirable quality. The end result of this has been that the shareholder has done pretty well out of it for the last few years if you are long).

I see it a little differently. There isn’t another mega-cap on the US exchanges that has increased shareholder value as much as Apple since SJ’s return.

One can not satisfy the shareholder without satisfying the customers. It’s an issue of what approach best serves the shareholders. I think Apple has it right.

• Posted: 09 January 2010 08:21 PM #9

Well, I just want to say that, as a bean counter, I’m crushed by all this…

But I think it’s easier to possess financial sense than it is to possess the design talent on the scale of a Jon Ive.  And I think Apple has enough titles and ego room for both of them.  In any event, Steve Jobs isn’t going anywhere in my estimation.

Posted: 09 January 2010 08:42 PM #10

Steve Jobs is the extremely rare individual who sees the big picture of technology in our lives, loves design, understands the bottom line, and can be a salesman when he needs to.  If I might be permitted a pop culture reference, he reminds me of the Don Draper character played by Jon Hamm in the TV series Mad Men; a brilliant, complex, and mysterious big-picture guy who can also (and often) be a real jerk.  Draper and Jobs are not glad-handing salesmen, but they are sometimes able to convince entire industries that their approach will change the whole industry.  I consider Jobs irreplaceable because his combination of skills is SO rare.  I’m quite sure that Tim Cook doesn’t have it; Jon Ive may or may not have it (I don’t know his personality), but he so far has proved himself to be the other irreplaceable guy at Apple.  If Jobs was to leave, I think Apple and APPL might coast for a few years on prior accomplishments, but the vision to put it all together would be lost, and I would not hold the same amount of AAPL stock for long.

Posted: 10 January 2010 12:07 AM #11

TanToday - 09 January 2010 11:00 PM

... As a 5,500 share holder, this is OK with me.

K, we know you’re a millionaire grin.  When would you sell?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 10 January 2010 03:58 AM #12

As SJ Said:  If you put the sales guy in charge you get Microsoft.

Perhaps we don’t need another visionary; SJ has already led us through the wilderness. Tim Cook & Jon Ive will do fine together.

• Posted: 10 January 2010 07:07 AM #13

firestorm - 10 January 2010 12:42 AM

If Jobs was to leave, I think Apple and APPL might coast for a few years on prior accomplishments, but the vision to put it all together would be lost, and I would not hold the same amount of AAPL stock for long.

I don’t know about that firestorm… I think the culture is embedded at Apple and that culture is so intertwined in the established systems that Apple uses to deliver and develop that I think it will take a bit more time for it to loose that magic should SJ or JI leave.

Posted: 10 January 2010 08:22 AM #14

benoir - 10 January 2010 11:07 AM

I don’t know about that firestorm… I think the culture is embedded at Apple and that culture is so intertwined in the established systems that Apple uses to deliver and develop that I think it will take a bit more time for it to loose that magic should SJ or JI leave.

‘’

SJ *WILL LEAVE* it is only a matter of *WHEN.*

Signature

• Posted: 10 January 2010 08:29 AM #15

The problem for any successor is to replace an autocratic management with a consensus management without losing direction. The danger is the rise of politician managers without the deep task oriented skills of the current team. OTOH, a new autocrat could be an even worse disaster.

What would be interesting to know is how much of his very long term vision is kept entirely inside his own head by SJ, and how much, these days, is freely discussed by the team.