AAPL trading pattern

Posted: 23 January 2010 01:46 PM

In case you haven’t already seen this:

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/01/23/why-aapl-dropped-10-32-points-friday/?source=yahoo_quote

Posted: 23 January 2010 01:49 PM #1

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 23 January 2010 01:58 PM #2

Let’s just hope it wasn’t a phantom trade.

• Posted: 23 January 2010 02:12 PM #3

If you “believe”, you hope it was a phantom trade. A few moments Mon to pick up a call or two. Still smells bad in a best ever earnings week.

Posted: 23 January 2010 02:21 PM #4

Something about this seems all too familiar.

Posted: 23 January 2010 02:39 PM #5

You guys should know better then get excited about that trade.  It is not even worth talking about it.
    The same think happened in on Thursday in AH.  we had a phantom trade at the last minute of 212.63 on a day when the stock dropped to 208.07 in regular hours.  And yet we went down another 10 points the following day.

Just be patient we will go back up, but using AH quotes is not a way to read the future.  That will only happen Monday night. :-D

Posted: 23 January 2010 02:45 PM #6

After looking at my charts I have to agree; it means nothing.  It was nice to have an up moment though.

• Posted: 23 January 2010 03:48 PM #7

Welcome MACV. Glad you’re here.

Posted: 23 January 2010 04:49 PM #8

Although PED writes some nice articles this one was extremely lame - and he should probably have pulled it because it is just a after hours trade resolution tick, just as Omacvi mentioned.  Happens every week- though it is less frequent that it is the very last trade that sticks at the end. But there are hits to be had.

I too am seriously nervous about the earnings.  We’ve just sustained a huge sell off, and now stand about 5% higher than immediately before last October’s blowout earnings.  Fear is in the air. For sure we will do as well or better than Intel: but that isn’t comforting as they sank after good earnings.

Posted: 24 January 2010 12:14 AM #9

D?j? vu.  Just like Jan 08?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 24 January 2010 12:37 AM #10

Mace - 24 January 2010 04:14 AM

D?j? vu.  Just like Jan 08?

I think that is what everyone is scared of.  A repeat of history.

It may happen.  The market needs to recover on Monday and Tuesday, otherwise we will be in real trouble.

the only silver lining, is that WS was well aware of that “the writing was on the wall” about the housing bubble bursting in a big way that.  This time around if we do crash it should be more shallow and for less time. 

However after the market crashed in Jan 2008, the real crash did not happen for another 13 months, ie March 2009.

I think the market and Apple went up with more institutional investors rather then retail investors.  There are billions on the sidelines still trying to wait this uncertainty out.  My dad is in all cash until I persuaded him to buy a few aapl shares last week.

Those who got wiped out have little money to put back in.  I for example have a fraction of what I had in 2008.

What I am trying to say is that WS will only hurt itself this time by brining the market down instead of taking money from those millions who invested in market as their net worth increased with real estate bubble between 1999 to 2007.

Things are different now.  GS made billions last quarter as the market appreciated.  Unless they decide to lose billions this quarter along with all the other investment banks, I don’t see the market crashing like 2008.

But then one never knows. rolleyes

There is a ton of mortgage rests that won’t happen until 2011 and 2012.  Maybe WS wants to bailout now. :oh:

The other side of the argument is that we have managed to stabilize the market by infusing gov cash into the banks with large about of bad debt and the banks have been slowly releasing the foreclosed homes on the market.  So thinks are in different position now then they were in 2008.

[ Edited: 24 January 2010 12:42 AM by omacvi ]      
  • Posted: 25 January 2010 06:53 AM #11

MACV - 23 January 2010 06:45 PM

After looking at my charts I have to agree; it means nothing.  It was nice to have an up moment though.

First few pm trades are following meaningless blip