Amid hype, who wants to buy an Apple tablet?

• Posted: 24 January 2010 03:53 PM #16

omacvi - 24 January 2010 07:27 PM

My issue is that I love my MacBook Pro 13” and I use it all the time in the house.  I also love my iPhone and would like to buy the next generation model in June if ATT will give me the upgrade price.

Mobileme can offer a huge tablet synergy. Your email, browser bookmarks, address book and calendar all synch near instantly and transparently. You don’t need to give up any part of your user experience with iPhone and Macbook Pro. If it has the rumored multi-user, with optional autologin by facial recognition (trained by the iPhoto face database, natch), everyone in the family can enjoy it in a relaxed way. Reading a magazine, or AFB becomes a more sociable, couch activity. Indeed, with a device each and the iTunes licensing model, the whole family can be reading and talking about the same subscribed article.

[ Edited: 25 January 2010 05:13 AM by sleepygeek ]      
  • Posted: 24 January 2010 11:30 PM #17

I will be a buyer immediately ... I delayed buying a 13? MBP late last year in case a tablet were to surface in the spring.

I think the real magic of the iPhone/iPod Touch is that software allows it to be whatever you desire ... the tablet?s larger surface will simply allow for even more possibilities.  When I look back at the introduction of the iPhone ... the ?obvious? uses (phone and widescreen iPod) actually turned out to be less important than the ?surprise? use ... internet communicator.

I remember an old rumor from Thinksecret talking about the concept of a digital locker ... where all your iTunes content would be available via streaming wherever you are ... I remember being very excited about this possibility ... maybe now is the time for this to happen.

I can’t wait for Wednesday ...

• Posted: 25 January 2010 03:17 PM #18

- Apple’s tablet will not be priced “anywhere near” the $1,000 mark that some have floated as a possible price point.

Macrumors talks to publishers
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/25/book-publishers-offer-details-on-apples-tablet-plans/

very encouraging

Posted: 25 January 2010 03:41 PM #19

I will be “in” on hour one for two or three.

This will NOT be available overseas in round one { content agreements with publishers and producers are difficult enough HERE for opening day…}  therefore, the eBay premium FROM overseas buyers { think filthy rich camel jockey’s } will pay ANYTHING for the status symbol, even IF they have to fly back to the good old USA to fill it up from time to time.

I suspect the first 250 on eBay that can deliver, will get a $300 premium, over whatever the actual price happens to be.

[ Edited: 25 January 2010 03:44 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 25 January 2010 03:46 PM #20

TanToday - 25 January 2010 07:41 PM

This will NOT be available overseas in round one ...

You might be wrong on that one. Hopefully   :innocent:

• Posted: 25 January 2010 04:48 PM #21

From iLounge

Steve Jobs: tablet ?most important thing I?ve ever done?

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been making bold claims about the company?s upcoming tablet to senior Apple executives and close friends, according to a new report. Citing multiple independent sources, TechCrunch reports that Jobs has repeatedly stated that the tablet ?[W]ill be the most important thing I?ve ever done.? Previous reports have indicated that Jobs was giving the tablet his full personal attention following his return to Apple last June.

Posted: 25 January 2010 05:06 PM #22

ghobi - 25 January 2010 07:46 PM

I hope I am as well.

However, AAPL isn’t the problem here, but the dinosaurs in NYC and Hollyweird.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 25 January 2010 08:56 PM #23

The key for me will be the ability to buy single issues of periodicals.  I don’t care to buy a subscription to the New York Times.  But I will often buy single electronic issues depending on where I am going to be and what I am doing on a given day.  99 cents is the right price point for a daily; $1.99 for a weekly or monthly magazine.  iTunes is perfect for handling this.

And if the quality and features are there, I have no problem with a price of $1,000.

Signature

You will find hard currency at Midas Mulligan’s.

Posted: 25 January 2010 08:57 PM #24

Walt Mosspuppet Reviews the Apple Tablet: “The First Completely Perfect Product That?s Ever Existed.”

Quite the HOOT, close to a “must watch.” {If you love ironic and slapstick, otherwise, go watch Oh’bama’s ode to anti-capitalism…..

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)....

Signature

Posted: 26 January 2010 08:52 AM #25

TanToday - 26 January 2010 12:57 AM

Walt Mosspuppet Reviews the Apple Tablet: “The First Completely Perfect Product That?s Ever Existed.”

Quite the HOOT, close to a “must watch.” {If you love ironic and slapstick, otherwise, go watch Oh’bama’s ode to anti-capitalism…..

I guess you wanted to refer to this?

Posted: 26 January 2010 09:00 AM #26

Elmar - 26 January 2010 12:52 PM
    TanToday - 26 January 2010 12:57 AM

I guess you wanted to refer to this?

YES, thank you. I hit the @ instead of the <a> I guess.

In any case, wasn’t that a hoot?

Signature

• Posted: 26 January 2010 09:17 AM #27

TanToday - 25 January 2010 09:06 PM
    ghobi - 25 January 2010 07:46 PM

I hope I am as well.

However, AAPL isn’t the problem here, but the dinosaurs in NYC and Hollyweird.

The Swiss TagesAnzeiger has an article today rehashing the TabletStory:

Original in German / Google Translation

TagesAnzeiger is not Apple friendly at all. The higlight is the last bit in italics: Tagesanzeiger will report on Wednesday starting at 18:30 live from the Apple Event
    What reason do they have to go live if the product will not be available in Switzerland? Besides, there was talk last year about a “Tablet” that Swisscom (Swiss partner for the iPhone) would launch (see my post here).

Try to click through the grafics in the german version. They had a little survey (3.500 answers): only 22% are not interested / 70% are reydy to pay 1.000 CHF ($ 950) or more

Posted: 26 January 2010 09:33 AM #28

Signature

Posted: 26 January 2010 12:54 PM #29

Am I ready to buy an Apple Tablet?
    I learned long ago not to put money down on something unseen. For all I know the iSlate may be an actual piece of slate. Yes the hype is showing up on the Richter Scale. Yes Apple has an amazing record of new, groundbreaking revolutionary products, most of which I have purchased eventually. But I don’t buy nothin’ until I see the item, go through the specs, figure out how it will fit into my tech environment, and determine if it’s worth the investment to me.

Just call me a skeptic.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 26 January 2010 08:00 PM #30

No interest in buying this device. At all. Ever. Have a laptop. Have a phone.