AT&T Insiders Report iPhone Exclusivity Going Away On Wednesday

Posted: 24 January 2010 01:49 PM

According to an inside source close to the going-ons involved in all of this, a new tablet of some sort may not be the only thing on deck for next Wednesday though. We have been led to believe by an inside source that AT&T will lose their iPhone exclusivity on the same day, though it’s not yet clear what other carrier (or carriers) will be stepping in to also carry the phone.

Now that would be an announcement that could really move the stock if in addition to the iPad.  Wednesday is really shaping up to be perhaps the biggest thing since the introduction of the iPhone.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 24 January 2010 02:04 PM #1

incorrigible - 24 January 2010 05:49 PM

According to an inside source close to the going-ons involved in all of this, a new tablet of some sort may not be the only thing on deck for next Wednesday though. We have been led to believe by an inside source that AT&T will lose their iPhone exclusivity on the same day, though it’s not yet clear what other carrier (or carriers) will be stepping in to also carry the phone.

Now that would be an announcement that could really move the stock if in addition to the iPad.  Wednesday is really shaping up to be perhaps the biggest thing since the introduction of the iPhone.

It would be a big surprise, because most expect AT&T exclusivity to end in June.  This would definitely move the stock north, from where is the big question.

Posted: 24 January 2010 02:18 PM #2

Or the stock could dive if that does not take place.

Wednesday may be even more important then the intro of the iPhone.

• Posted: 24 January 2010 04:02 PM #3

Maybe the exclusivity would end based on a new iPhone model, announced Wednesday, but not available until June. Thus exclusivity could remain ‘til June.

If it’s going to spoil the quarter’s numbers, then Apple can bury that under the termination of subscription accounting.

Exclusivity has given Android and Palm a protected market to play in, while AT&T can offer any device. Apple may think it’s time to show them real competition before they build up major user base and infrastructure.

• Posted: 24 January 2010 09:07 PM #4

sleepygeek - 24 January 2010 08:02 PM

Maybe the exclusivity would end based on a new iPhone model, announced Wednesday, but not available until June. Thus exclusivity could remain ‘til June.

If it’s going to spoil the quarter’s numbers, then Apple can bury that under the termination of subscription accounting.

Exclusivity has given Android and Palm a protected market to play in, while AT&T can offer any device. Apple may think it’s time to show them real competition before they build up major user base and infrastructure.

I don’t see Apple pre-announcing a new iPhone model now. Demand for current models would take a dive. I also don’t see Apple pre-announcing the availability of an iPhone on Verizon months ahead of time.

This is purely conjecture, not intended to be a rumor or in any way create speculation.

If (and I mean if) the new tablet device is sold with service packages available through both AT&T and Verizon it would make sense to add iPhone availability on Verizon at the same time. This way bundled services for all wireless data plan using products could be sold.

The issue comes down to manufacturing capacity and deal terms. Apple has been engaged in an aggressive global roll out of the iPhone and meeting global demand has been an issue. Adding a Verizon-capable phone now might signal the next phase in domestic growth for the iPhone.

Apple has benefitted handsomely from the exclusive AT&T arrangement. AT&T has benefitted as well. But it might be in the interests of both parties to move beyond the exclusive arrangement. For Apple it means handset sales. For AT&T it may mean an end to the public focus (and near obsession) on perceived qualities issues on its 3G network.

For Apple it also means the opportunity to compete head-to-head on other networks pitting the iPhone against Android handsets and other smartphones coming to market.

• Posted: 24 January 2010 09:08 PM #5

Stating it more simply: Consumers in the US want the iPhone on Verizon. Apple will respond.

• Posted: 24 January 2010 09:16 PM #6

DawnTreader - 25 January 2010 01:08 AM

Stating it more simply: Consumers in the US want the iPhone on Verizon. Apple will respond.

And they want it sooner rather than later ie they should do it immediately. But I think it would muddy the message for Wednesday.

Apple tend to not want to water down the information they are providing to the public when they hand it down. If they were to announce Verizon availability then it would probably mask the story that they want to put across for this event so I am wondering one of two things.

Either this is an Over-Promise Under-Deliver on the part of the hedge funds to kill the share price when the rumor is not announced or whatever Apple has to show on Wednesday will be so good that this information will just get lost in the noise.

Signature

Posted: 24 January 2010 11:06 PM #7

Don’t believe it.

incorrigible - 24 January 2010 05:49 PM

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 25 January 2010 05:10 AM #8

I don’t believe it either, but given the Verizon situation, it would be possible for Apple to open current iPhone to other networks, possibly including Verizon (i.e. CDMA 3GS), and give AT&T a limited period exclusive on iPhone 4, as has always been common for new handsets. A Verizon iPhone 4 would come 6 months later.

But for Apple to make an iPhone for Verizon, they’re going to have to advance order more millions of units than they have the bottle for, I think. Keeping iPhone off Verizon is like holding the high ground. Once Vz has it, the market almost becomes a free-for all, much harder to control. I think Apple doesn’t do that until shortly before they don’t need carrier help.

• Posted: 25 January 2010 10:46 AM #9

I don’t believe it ... sounds like something that can be used to fuel the ‘sell the news’ crowd.