iPad

• Posted: 09 February 2010 06:23 AM #136

I?m NOT saying there will be a total rout of those markets, just that the irrational iPad commentary we read suggests groupthink denial of rational fears.

I am pondering whether it is a conspiracy or a semi conscious movement… or both !

[ Edited: 09 February 2010 06:26 AM by Hamourabi ]      
  • Posted: 09 February 2010 09:27 AM #137

Job posting suggests future iPad may soon get camera
    Seth Weintraub
    |
    February 08, 2010

MacRumors found a job posting on Apple’s website announcing that they are looking for a “Performance QA Engineer, iPad Media”.  In the Job description, they say:

Build on your QA experience and knowledge of digital camera technology (still and video) to develop and maintain testing frameworks for both capture and playback pipelines.

?and…

Good solid knowledge of photography, various video and audio media formats. Knowledgeable with lighting, whether artificial or ambient and how it affects image quality.

...Which seems to indicate that future iPads (or current iPads with features not yet unveiled) will have cameras and the ability to capture video and still images.

• Posted: 09 February 2010 10:35 PM #138

A hint of the iPad’s reception can be found here.

A sign of things to come, I predict.

• Posted: 10 February 2010 10:26 AM #139

Apple’s 32GB 3G iPad costs just $287.15 to make, iSuppli estimates
    Jonny Evans

February 10, 2010

iSuppli has issued its pre-release estimate for the component costs of parts used in Apple?s iPad, suggesting Apple has some room to manouver when it comes to the cost of the product.

Apple may pay as little as $219.35 for the new tablet’s parts, the researchers said. They cite components will include a multi-touch screen that costs around $80 and a $17 processor (design: Apple, manufacture: Samsung).

With the lowest price iPad reaching market for $499, iSuppli?s estimates suggest Apple management has plenty of scope to reduce prices in order to stimulate demand.

“There’s certainly a decent amount of headroom in there,” iSuppli analyst Francis Sideco told BusinessWeek. “If they had to reduce the retail price, they certainly could.”

Credit Suisse analyst Bill Shope ignitied speculation over price cuts this week, telling investors Apple execs has said they will be ?nimble? when it comes to iPad pricing.

?The most profitable of the six iPads is the 32-gigabyte version with 3G network access, Sideco says. Its combined materials and manufacturing cost of $287.15 amount to 39.4% of the retail price,? the report informs.

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:18 AM #140

This guy gets it.

The iPad will rock in the business world.  Give it 5 years and MS will start feeling the heat.

10 million iPads

• Posted: 10 February 2010 11:52 AM #141

omacvi - 10 February 2010 03:18 PM

Give it 5 years and MS will start feeling the heat.

Are the 5 years based on slow heat or on the high heat resistence of MS. Will they still be around by then?

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:55 AM #142

ghobi - 10 February 2010 03:52 PM

Give it 5 years and MS will start feeling the heat.

Are the 5 years based on slow heat or on the high heat resistence of MS. Will they still be around by then?

Simmering on the iPad at low heat.  Taste better.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 February 2010 02:59 PM #143

Do not eat iPad. raspberry You need some aluminum in your diet, take a multivitamin or something.  LOL

The second wave of iPad sales may arrive when people realize they can do quite a bit of creation on iPads, even beyond what Apple’s (very impressive looking) $30 productivity suite can do.  It’ll help if Apple can bake in some form of opening/saving/easily transferring-out-of-sandboxed-app documents functionality into the iPad OS.  AFAIK, you can’t really do this on an iPhone, but it’s not that big an issue for that kind of device. 

As for iSuppli…I can’t take these guys seriously anymore.  A teardown without even having a device?  They’re not the first with these prerelease numbers, but I really don’t see the point.  And iSuppli already has their teardown margins for Apple products locked at 60% or something…doesn’t seem that hard to BS the rest of the numbers.

[ Edited: 10 February 2010 03:18 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 February 2010 04:28 PM #144

I just turned on 1010 AM radio to hear the weather, but I had to wait through the major news stories.  The news reported the iPad will drop in price to 225. so don’t buy one when they go on sale!!!!  This story is 100% defensive advertising, but who and how do they get this reiterated on national breaking news channels?

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 10 February 2010 04:46 PM #145

Those expecting a price cut are expecting a bit much.  If Apple was unsure of their pricing, then a cut would be in order, but I would say the price makes alot of sense.  We have the Ipod Touch 199,299,399. IPAD at 499, 599, 699.  If you leave room to move the MacBook down from 999 to 899 it makes great marketing sense.  Iphone unsubsidized is more expensive then the IPAD so I think it is aggressively priced by Apple.  With increased capacity NAND flash coming online in the 2nd half of 2010 Apple will be well positioned to increase memory capacity or decrease price for the same memory in time for the Christmas selling season.

Posted: 10 February 2010 04:56 PM #146

When the “Made just for iPad” apps and especially games are announced, the demand will explode for this device. Everyone will find at least one app or game that will make their lives easer or more enjoyable.  And if someone writes a hot game for the iPad, the demand will be impossible to fill. THE gift to give next Christmas.  :-D

Can’t wait.

:apple:

Posted: 10 February 2010 05:16 PM #147

I have to give credit to those Apple competitors to resort to such lowly defensive advertising that Apple would lower the price of iPad to $225.  I plan to buy two, one for my spouse and another for myself.  At $225, I would be buying six, the extra four would be for my two sons, my mom and my sis.  Thot iPad is so easy to use that my mom would know how to use it.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 February 2010 10:26 PM #148

This guy gets it.

The iPad will rock in the business world.  Give it 5 years and MS will start feeling the heat.

10 million iPads

He makes an excellent point with this statement:

“The real game changing element of the iPad is that it?s the first computer ever designed to be held with one hand.”

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:05 PM #149

artman1033 - 11 February 2010 02:43 AM

BILLY GATES on the iPad.

?You know, I?m a big believer in touch and digital reading, but I still think that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard - in other words a netbook - will be the mainstream on that,? he said. ?So, it?s not like I sit there and feel the same way I did with iPhone where I say, ?Oh my God, Microsoft didn?t aim high enough.?  It?s a nice reader, but there?s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, ?Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.??

It’s hard to believe that he would say something like that.  Gates must be far busier with Gates Foundation affairs to think that people would even begin to believe that he is serious about that remark.

• Posted: 11 February 2010 12:21 AM #150

I believe he said it. He’s been working with a tablet concept for several years and Apple’s vision is different than his vision. So what?

Until Microsoft delivers a viable shipping product, Apple is the name of the game in tablets.