iPad

Posted: 27 January 2010 03:49 PM #16

Magnificent!

Spectacular price points, and I would have no problem shelling out for updates as the hardware progresses.

I am ready to order two (64Gb 3G for me, 64Gb wifi for wife) - order page not up yet - just taking e-mail addresses for notification.

Lack of camera is baffling, but video chat never appealed to me anyway.

Posted: 27 January 2010 03:53 PM #17

I’ll never buy it.  I can do more with my iPhone except edit documents.  No GPS (that I heard mentioned) , no camara, no phone calls.  No way I would lug this thing around for what it offers.  I’m really disappointed.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 27 January 2010 03:58 PM #18

Fanboys on various sites are giving the iPad the Ho-Hum treatment. Not magical enough, no camera, no iChat. Most popular response: if I have a MacBook, why do I need this?

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:03 PM #19

Now I’m thinking the iPad may do well with Apple iPod customers that don’t yet own an Apple computer.

CNBC keeps reporting AT&T exclusivity.  This is not the fact.  iPad ships unlocked, accepts sim cards.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:05 PM #20

I don’t have a MacBook.  Have an iMac and an iPhone.  So, I reckon I can have it grin.  Anyone would be kind enough to give me one or do I have to buy one myself?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 27 January 2010 04:06 PM #21

iPad accepts sim cards.

Let that roll around the grey matter for a couple moments.

• Posted: 27 January 2010 04:09 PM #22

“micro sim card”, possibly unique to this device.

• Posted: 27 January 2010 04:09 PM #23

I’ll buy a couple as soon as they show up in Europe grin

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:12 PM #24

I think this device hits a home run; initial adoption and sales may be slower than expected because it is in a whole new category (we didn’t know we needed it), but young people are going to LOVE the iPad, especially for the games function.  For older types, it makes a much more versatile ereader than either an iPhone (too small) or a Kindle (B &W only and no versatility beyond its basic function) and will be a great substitute for a netbook as a PC to carry around.  To me, a camera on either side does not make a lot of sense, because it sits on the lap or a table and is at bad angle for that role.  If demanded, it will show up in a year in iPad 2.0.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:18 PM #25

artman1033 - 27 January 2010 08:13 PM

Rumors that I think I missed:
    NO PHONE

VOIP It works good enough for me… and the voice plan savings work for me too.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 27 January 2010 04:18 PM #26

iPad appears to have maps but not Google Maps. Wondering. . . .

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:28 PM #27

artman1033 - 27 January 2010 08:01 PM

Does every college student need this?

Or can a college student download his textbooks on his/her macBook?

Until I see some sort of confirmation that college textbooks will be available from the iBook store,  no.

And how do we know if the iBook store content is limited to the iPad?  Perhaps titles will be available for computers too.  If I were a publisher, I would insist on it as the market for titles would be MUCH larger than if they were only available for the iPad.

Edit:  Sorry Artman.  I kind of misinterpreted your post.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 27 January 2010 04:36 PM #28

I know they are trying to target students with the iPad, i wonder if there was a problem if a camera was added to the device where it could potentially be banned from schools.

Signature

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don?t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ?For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.?
    2 Corinthians 9:7

• Posted: 27 January 2010 04:37 PM #29

Go over to Apple to see the iPad in detail. And don’t miss the video, it’s a must see and fills in the missing info.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:44 PM #30

Mace - 27 January 2010 08:05 PM

I don’t have a MacBook.  Have an iMac and an iPhone.  So, I reckon I can have it grin.  Anyone would be kind enough to give me one or do I have to buy one myself?

Hey you are supposed to be buys us some. But you go head a buy one for yourself first. grin

I think everyone is missing the boat on this and wanted a home run.  Even though Apple is marketing it to those who own Apple products, I think this is geared to those who don’t.

Think about it.  You are about to buy your first computer.  You can get an iPad for $499 or and net book for $299.  I think they will sell millions to first time computer users and those who don’t want a touch but something bigger.

Yes it can have more, but you are a bunch of spoiled kids and this is not for us.  Some of may buy 2nd and 3rd versions once it has GPS and cameras.  But mark my words Apple will sell at least 10 million in the first year and half of those will be new to Apple.