iPad

• Posted: 11 February 2010 01:21 AM #151

Incorporating SeaDragon into iPad’s core sw functionality would be useful. Given the multi-touch interaction, it would make iPad hugely valuable and fun.

http://www.ted.com/talks/blaise_aguera_y_arcas_demos_photosynth.html  or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWaOy315Yks

• Posted: 11 February 2010 10:27 AM #152

Polk County is small potatoes. Each voter in local, state and federal elections should have one. Election results on iTunes.

Posted: 11 February 2010 11:35 AM #153

Sold my 5 year old MacBook 13” for 600.00, so I can buy an Ipad. This was the best purchase I ever made. I paid 1000.00 new, updated to snowleopard for 80.00, total cost 1080.00. Saved 40.00 per year not buying antivirus software saved 200.00, so total cost to use for vs a windows machine about 280.00 over 5 years or 56.00 per year. I don’t think people realize the resell value of Macs.

• Posted: 11 February 2010 11:39 AM #154

While not a valid indicator of future sales/interest, each day I notice more 3rd part suppliers are announcing iPad cases/bags/skins. It’s good to know that someone besides us sees a great potential for Apple’s new baby.

Posted: 11 February 2010 12:16 PM #155

danthemason - 11 February 2010 02:27 PM

Polk County is small potatoes. Each voter in local, state and federal elections should have one. Election results on iTunes.

LOL

The problem would be that most iPod owners are under 18 and God knows how many are illegal. Unless you could get an app that would force one to go in person to unlock it.  But then the problem would arise in who is actually doing the voting.

I think in order to increase sales, it should be mandatory that one buy an iPad and read all the important info on the elections and only after the App confirms that you have spent enough time understanding the material and passed a quiz, then you could vote. :-D   Then we would only have 10% turnout and the Republicans would win every election. :-D

• Posted: 11 February 2010 02:30 PM #156

We’ve got MAC #‘s to id machines same as vehicles. We’ve got location awareness. There could be an app for that soon. Network infrastructure could be an issue. It is doable with the iPad.

• Posted: 11 February 2010 08:49 PM #157

Interesting tidbit from Daringfireball ...

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/02/11/facebook-login

I guess many just use ‘The Google’.

Posted: 11 February 2010 11:25 PM #158

I was looking at an old stock of mine today (MVL - I sold back in the mid 30’s, got in before Spiderman) and was reading where Disney is looking at their recent acquisition of Marvel and the ipad. The CEO of Disney stated that the ipad will be a game changer for the company. Sorry, I can’t find the link of the CEO’s quote. It was on Google finance.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 12 February 2010 05:49 AM #159

mbeauch - 12 February 2010 03:25 AM

I was looking at an old stock of mine today (MVL - I sold back in the mid 30’s, got in before Spiderman) and was reading where Disney is looking at their recent acquisition of Marvel and the ipad. The CEO of Disney stated that the ipad will be a game changer for the company. Sorry, I can’t find the link of the CEO’s quote. It was on Google finance.

Here is the link: Disney CEO: iPad ‘could be a game changer’

By the way Google finance have been one of the first to show AAPL’s new PE!

• Posted: 12 February 2010 11:17 AM #160

App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

Posted: 12 February 2010 01:27 PM #161

NY Times has an interesting article on display types and which is better or worse for your vision..

As always it depends

?It depends on the viewing circumstances, including the software and typography on the screen,? said Mr. Bove. ?Right now E Ink is great in sunlight, but in certain situations, a piece of paper can be a better display than E Ink, and in dim light, an LCD display can be better than all of these technologies.?

E Ink has a very low contrast ratio. Although it can offer an excellent reading experience in bright sunlight, the screens can become uncomfortable to use in dark settings because of the lack of contrast and backlighting on the screen.

LCD screens, meanwhile, have long struggled to offer good viewing angles for reading. Apple?s latest IPS LCD screens include extremely wide viewing angles, but the reflective glass on the screen could be a hindrance in brightly lit situations.

Today?s screens are definitely less tiring to look at than older displays, which refreshed the image much less frequently, causing a flicker. Carl Taussig, director of Hewlett-Packard?s Information Surfaces Lab, said the 120 Hz refresh rate typical of modern screens is much quicker than our eyes can even see.

?The new LCDs don?t affect your eyes,? Mr. Taussig said. ?Today?s screens update every eight milliseconds, whereas the human eye is moving at a speed between 10 and 30 milliseconds.?

Posted: 12 February 2010 03:09 PM #162

My guess is 3 million in 45 days.

WAIT till it launches, with over 500 CUSTOM APPS for the iPad, games, business, charting, readers, and the like.

There will be a MASSIVE rush to be out the door first with apps, since everyone saw how the front runners cleaned up on the iPhone with the latter releases not making the huge immediate sales.

Every print outfit, every customer related salesforce, and every medical firm worth looking at, already must have their programmers hard at work with the BETA versions of the SDK.

Remember, the SDK for the iPhone was almost a year later, this time they got it right, and have it out in tens of thousands of smart hungry programmers, with a background in apps, ALREADY hard at work all lusting for the golden ring of immediate launch availability.

[ Edited: 12 February 2010 03:12 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 12 February 2010 05:01 PM #163

I was real excited about this until I realized I misread the headline. I thought it said Kittens.

Amazon may compete with Apple iPad by giving away free Kindles

By Sam Oliver
    Published: 10:50 AM EST

As Amazon’s e-book business continues to evolve in the wake of the Apple iPad announcement, a new rumor suggests the company is exploring the possibility of giving a Kindle reader to its best customers.

Michael Arrington of TechCrunch reported Friday that Amazon is considering a promotion that would give a free Kindle to subscribers of its Amazon Prime service. At a cost of $79 per year, Prime offers free two-day shipping on selected items, and one-day shipping for just $3.99.

“These are Amazon’s very best customers—the ones who tend to make multiple purchases per month,” Arrington wrote. “And they are also likely to buy multiple books per month on their Kindle devices. If those users buy enough books, and Amazon gets the production costs of the Kindle down enough, Amazon can get Kindles into ?millions? of people?s hands without losing their shirt.”

Citing a “reliable source,” he said Amazon’s goal is to find a way to put a Kindle in the hands of Prime subscribers without losing money on the deal. The company ran a promotion in January where they asked users to try the Kindle, and those who were not satisfied were given a full refund, but got to keep the hardware.

The moves are just another example of Amazon rethinking its Kindle platform following Apple’s iPad announcement. The company recently purchased millions of Kindles, but has not given an exact number. Still, the e-book market has proved to be of value to the online retailer: The company revealed last month that it sells six Kindle e-books for every 10 physical books.

The Kindle and large-screen Kindle DX are available in over 100 countries, and the Kindle iPhone application is available in Apple’s App Store in over 60 countries. E-books can be synced between the Kindle reader, PC software, and Apple’s iPhone and iPod touch. Kindle software is also forthcoming for the Mac and iPad.

But Apple hopes to counter Amazon with its recently announced iPad. At the product’s unveiling, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs credited Amazon with pioneering the e-book market with the Kindle, but he said Apple intends to improve on that model. “We’re going to stand on their shoulders and go a bit further,” he said.

With a 9.7-inch screen and a starting price of $499, the iPad offers a vibrant, color screen suited for a variety of multimedia consumption, while Amazon’s e-ink, black-and-white Kindle is best suited for reading books.

Apple will serve books for the iPad through its iBookstore, due to be a part of the iBooks application for iPad. The software features a 3D virtual bookshelf displaying a user’s personal collection, and allows the purchase of new content from major publishers. Like the Kindle, it will offer content from the New York Times Bestsellers list.

The introduction of the iPad has driven publishers to force Amazon into higher prices for new hardcover bestsellers. While books are currently priced at $9.99 on the Kindle, that is expected to rise to between $12.99 and $14.99 by the time the iPad launches in March.

Posted: 12 February 2010 05:28 PM #164

Here in Quebec some publishesr are getting together to make their books available on the iPad. For those who speak french look Here

Posted: 12 February 2010 05:44 PM #165

Amazon may compete with Apple iPad by giving away free Kindles

<snip>

As Amazon’s e-book business continues to evolve in the wake of the Apple iPad announcement, a new rumor suggests the company is exploring the possibility of giving a Kindle reader to its best customers.

Now there’s a surprise. NOT!

I predicted something like this here and here.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore