iPad

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:55 PM #31

I know what I’ll be buying a lot of people for the birthday and Christmas presents this year - right after I buy one for myself smile

My MacBook Air? On its way to my mother as soon as my iPad arrives. I can’t think of anything I need to do travelling I couldn’t do with an iPad, especially as it can dock at home and work with a keyboard and runs Pages as well as all the iApps which will allow large-screen browsing, trading software etc to run.

For regular home use I’ve got a 27” iMac, so between that, an iPad, and an iPhone, I have no need of a laptop any more.

For when I travel, I can also use the BBC iPlayer and Hulu, not to mention TVCatchup.com to watch live streaming TV and saved programmes wherever I am, on a decent sized screen with a great battery life.

I also use AirVideo to log into my iTunes media folder on my home mac from my iPhone, so if that works on my iPad it means I can stream in real time all my movies, music, TV shows etc over the web onto the iPad’s decent-sized display.

This literally changes my world.

[ Edited: 27 January 2010 04:58 PM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:27 PM #32

I think the new ATT 3G data bundles and exchangeable SIM cards are a pretty major development over existing iphone deals. It really opens the door for further competition between carriers and ongoing rate drops. This has to extend to the iphone as well. Great for moving between countries and carriers. Another subtle game-changer….

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:32 PM #33

I think this device has enough to be a success, but whether it’ll make the same impact as iPhone/iPod, I just don’t know yet.

Pricing and feature set for the price seem fair, but this really is an “intermediate” device.  Many netbooks have a webcam, but iPad doesn’t.  I’m mildly puzzled as to why Apple is charging $130 extra for the 3G modem, it almost seems like it’s making a payment to AT&T instead of the other way around.  This “magical and revolutionary” device doesn’t look like something an iPhone/Mac user like myself really needs.  We’ll just have to see what the market makes of this.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:46 PM #34

Mav - 27 January 2010 09:32 PM

I think this device has enough to be a success, but whether it’ll make the same impact as iPhone/iPod, I just don’t know yet.

Pricing and feature set for the price seem fair, but this really is an “intermediate” device.  Many netbooks have a webcam, but iPad doesn’t.  I’m mildly puzzled as to why Apple is charging $130 extra for the 3G modem, it almost seems like it’s making a payment to AT&T instead of the other way around.  This “magical and revolutionary” device doesn’t look like something an iPhone/Mac user like myself really needs.  We’ll just have to see what the market makes of this.

Have you ever priced a 3G card for a laptop?  With all the royalties it cost a bit to include the 3G.  I also would not count Verizon out of the running.  The fact that it is a separate unit/build means once using a evdo or LTE chip is entirely doable.  I would keep an eye on any FCC filings since Apple announce the product, the RF testing data will become public access as far as the whole web cam/ichat the mobile networks are not really up to the task so my guess is Apple does not want to deliver a POS user experience.  Once LTE arrives I would expect Ichat with a camera.  I sure

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:50 PM #35

Well there go the video conferences I had planned from Mt Everest and my favorite 19th hole…

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:58 PM #36

... but I’m betting its going to be huge with commuters. Obviously, everyone in business class will have to have one.

• Posted: 27 January 2010 06:36 PM #37

So on NPR just now they practically called it a MaxiPad. The female journalist who gave a hands-on review said, “They must not have had a woman in the room when they picked the name.” Her general impression: “a giant iPhone.” It’s best feature: the e-book reader.

• Posted: 27 January 2010 06:43 PM #38

Looking at the specs I notice that there is a microphone built in. So Skype calls would be possible, as well as the ability to use those many iPhone apps that require vocal input.

Posted: 27 January 2010 06:53 PM #39

Ok I am getting one. Every kid will want one of these for Christmas.

I think I will buy one for my wife as a gift. She is an her iPhone all the time.  Once we add a couple magazines subscriptions we will be good to go.

• Posted: 27 January 2010 11:06 PM #40

I think it will be really successful.  I think nearly everyone will want to have one (or more) just laying around the house for whatever…surfing, newspapers, books, sharing photo’s, etc.  I can’t imagine not having one myself.

Signature

Johnny

• Posted: 27 January 2010 11:38 PM #41

Some people are not “getting” the iPad, just like the iPod’s potential was overlooked at its November 2001 launch.

Fears of cannibalization with the MacBooks are overdone.  Consider what you get with the iPad (and don’t get on a MacBook):

1.  You get 100,000+ apps on the iPad.  This is Apple’s KEY advantage.
    2.  You get something that is a “take everywhere” 1.5 lbs.
    3.  You get a $499 price point without a contract
    4.  You get iBooks.
    5.  You get 10 hours of play time
    6.  Touch screen for navigation
    7.  Virtual keyboard with an optional mechanical keyboard.
    8.  New game apps that will be well served by display (fast processor!)
    9.  Customized media versions of newspapers optimized for the iPad
    10.  A placeholder for all the other things yet to be created. 

It doesn’t take much imagination to see that app developers are going to add value to the iPad well beyond the current line-up of apps by virtue of the larger screen real estate.  It’s going to print money for Apple: I’m convinced of it.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 12:49 AM #42

This is an opinion piece ... but I think it is on the mark:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/23834/opinion/

Andy Ihnatko also has posted his impressions:

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/2015552,ihnatko-ipad-apple-launch-jobs-012710.article

I especially love the last paragraph:

“But I?m absolutely certain that a liquor store that?s within walking distance of any company who staked its future on a tablet or ereader costing $400 or more will have a very, very profitable couple of months.”

smile

[ Edited: 28 January 2010 12:59 AM by Derrick ]      

Posted: 28 January 2010 01:40 AM #43

Everyone knows about the iPad.

I showed the video to a friend and she right away said she would buy one for her husband since his birthday is in two months.  The funny part is that he hates Apple, but she loves her iPhone and wants him to enjoy some of the feature that she has.

Folks this is a huge home run, and I see that more now then I did 8 hours ago.

When I told my wife I would get one for her, she got excited but wanted to touch it first.  Once she touches it she will want it for sure. :-D

• Posted: 28 January 2010 01:42 AM #44

Mercel - 28 January 2010 03:38 AM

Some people are not “getting” the iPad, just like the iPod’s potential was overlooked at its November 2001 launch.

Fears of cannibalization with the MacBooks are overdone.  Consider what you get with the iPad (and don’t get on a MacBook):

1.  You get 100,000+ apps on the iPad.  This is Apple’s KEY advantage.
    2.  You get something that is a “take everywhere” 1.5 lbs.
    3.  You get a $499 price point without a contract
    4.  You get iBooks.
    5.  You get 10 hours of play time
    6.  Touch screen for navigation
    7.  Virtual keyboard with an optional mechanical keyboard.
    8.  New game apps that will be well served by display (fast processor!)
    9.  Customized media versions of newspapers optimized for the iPad
    10.  A placeholder for all the other things yet to be created. 

It doesn’t take much imagination to see that app developers are going to add value to the iPad well beyond the current line-up of apps by virtue of the larger screen real estate.  It’s going to print money for Apple: I’m convinced of it.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! I’m getting that same warm glow in my heart I felt the day Steve announced the AppsStore. This is a compelling medium that will greatly expand Apple’s influence/bottom line.

I will be designing a new mounting rack for my work van dashboard and installing this baby in the place where my original Iphone once sat. Iphone has been my constant companion since its purchase; it now gets relegated to a lower pocket of the cargo pants.

Also, thanks Artman, for that first video clip…. I nearly ruined my keyboard at the end of that one!

Signature

"You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"

• Posted: 28 January 2010 05:01 AM #45

It may be necessary to port Apps functionality to notebooks once the reality of lower ASP sets in. You can’t claim there will be little erosion in notebook #‘s and then proceed with the ten best reasons to buy the Pad rather than the Book. If it’s an ergonomic fit, fine, sales will be stratospheric. But the penalty imposed on notebooks is real and comes at a cost. And netbooks are toast.