iPad

• Posted: 28 January 2010 11:34 AM #46

So far, not what I’ll buy…. or very soon.
    No camera, but a great ereader. I want all that plus a replacement for my MacBook. We’ll see what the next iPad has to offer. I’ll just have to keep my iPhone and Macbook with me.
    Also, I was hoping to hear about moving my iPhone to another carrier SOON.
    I’m sure there is more to come later this year.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 11:35 AM #47

I’m totally underwhelmed.  It’s really just the big ipod touch.  If it ran OSX I might consider it, but I think this is only going to fill a niche market.  Also, why a 16gb model?  That will be discontinued in about 6 months or less when the 32 gb starts selling for the same price.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 12:08 PM #48

Mercel - 28 January 2010 03:38 AM

Some people are not “getting” the iPad, just like the iPod’s potential was overlooked at its November 2001 launch.

Mercel, when the iPod was introduced in November 2001 it could only be linked via firewire (at the time about 75% of computers in the US didn’t have firewire), had smaller capacity than the already established brands of Creative and Archos mp3 players, and was Macintosh only. Oh and no iTunes for Windows either.

It wasn’t until the 4th gen iPod that Apple finally made USB versions, capacities that actually beat Creative and Archos mp3 players, and released iTunes 4.1 for Windows. That was in 2004.

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:23 PM #49

I think that Apple will leverage their retail partnerships with Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc by this fall (in time for Christmas) for the iPad. Probably only Apple stores and online until then, to get control of inventory. Since there is no carrier subsidy, iPad won’t be available at ATT stores.

I think these will sell like hotcakes once the public gets a chance to see them first hand, just like iPhones did.

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

• Posted: 28 January 2010 12:27 PM #50

stevereel - 28 January 2010 04:23 PM

I think that Apple will leverage their retail partnerships with Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc by this fall (in time for Christmas) for the iPad. Probably only Apple stores and online until then, to get control of inventory. Since there is no carrier subsidy, iPad won’t be available at ATT stores.

I think these will sell like hotcakes once the public gets a chance to see them first hand, just like iPhones did.

It’s possible that ATT will sell the 3G version in their stores (but with no subsidy of course).

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:32 PM #51

iPad v.1
    It’s a great start. Seriously is got a lot of what I’d look for in a device like this. Functionally it seems about the same as an iPod Touch so the question that remains is if the bigger screen worth the extra cost. If there’s erosion in sales anywhere I see it in the iPod Touch.

For me though I’m waiting. Rev 2 is always better than Rev 1. I loved my lamp iMac. I still have my 2G and 4G iPods (I’d replace them but the bloody things just won’t wear out). I’ll wait a year or so and then see what’s available and at what price.

What did surprise me (other than the price which left my jaw on the floor), was the lead time. SJ has announced things with this kind of a lead time at WWDC but this was an Apple scheduled event. I and I believe a lot of people were surprised when the Apple Store did not go offline. Then when he said it would be 2 months I was a bit shocked. I seem to remember that one of the hallmarks of Apple product announcements is that often SJ will end with “Shipping Today”. That didn’t happen. <Idle Speculation Alert> I wonder if leaks forced their hand a month or two earlier than they had hoped. Maybe over the next two months some of the missing details (like McGraw Hill) will appear.

Speaking of that here’s an interesting story about McGraw-Hill and why they were not listed in the announcement yesterday.

http://venturebeat.com/2010/01/27/mcgraw-ipad/

[ Edited: 28 January 2010 12:42 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:44 PM #52

I don’t think the current version is compatible with Verizon’s network.  GSM vs. CDMA.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 28 January 2010 02:17 PM #53

I’m just happy that Apple appears to be the sole computer company still in the battle against the forces of “Good Enough.” I’m sure as they are sold and the apps appear it’ll be clearer who and what this thing is for. Count me in as soon as a stylus and Painter for iPad is released.

BTW, will people stop calling netbooks something new and just say the truth: In their race to the bottom PC manufacturers ran out of ways to make laptops cheaper so they shrunk them, gave them slower processors, less features, and cheaper components and changed their name to NetBooks. Oooo.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 28 January 2010 02:26 PM #54

artman1033 - 28 January 2010 04:47 PM
    incorrigible - 28 January 2010 04:44 PM

I don’t think the current version is compatible with Verizon’s network.  GSM vs. CDMA.

Is that for any WI-FI or just 3G?

I don’t know.

3G

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 28 January 2010 02:38 PM #55

A mini SIM card for an iPad may be unique enough that travelers may not be able to swap them for a local network.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 02:48 PM #56

artman1033 - 28 January 2010 06:36 PM
    incorrigible - 28 January 2010 06:26 PM
    artman1033 - 28 January 2010 04:47 PM
    incorrigible - 28 January 2010 04:44 PM

Is that for any WI-FI or just 3G?

I don’t know.

3G

So the mini sim card only works with 3G. The WI-FI iPad does NOT have a mini sim card.

Is that correct?

IPAD SPECS

The mini SIM card would be in the 3G card in the #G models. Notice in the pics of the rear of two models that the 3G has a black tab at the top. This must be the 3G card where the SIM will reside. It’s not clear if it is swappable.

Posted: 28 January 2010 03:05 PM #57

This was the statement in the presentation.
    “However, all of the iPad 3G models are unlocked, and they use the new GSM microSIMs.”

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 03:08 PM #58

This is a pretty narrow perspective, but I’m wondering how much communication Apple will allow between the iPad and a desktop/laptop via either the docking port or Bluetooth. Apple is rather tight-fisted with this on the iPhone/Touch.

My thought is that the iPad would make an interesting and economical “virtual” control surface for things like color grading, and possibly a bit of tape transport control and limited audio mixing. I would miss the tactile knobs, sliders and buttons, but I wouldn’t miss the four figure price tag for the dedicated hardware devices (see euphonix.com) or the frustration of trying to use Color 1.5 with a keyboard and mouse.

Posted: 28 January 2010 04:12 PM #59

Ric Getter - 28 January 2010 07:08 PM

My thought is that the iPad would make an interesting and economical “virtual” control surface for things like color grading, and possibly a bit of tape transport control and limited audio mixing. I would miss the tactile knobs, sliders and buttons, but I wouldn’t miss the four figure price tag for the dedicated hardware devices (see euphonix.com) or the frustration of trying to use Color 1.5 with a keyboard and mouse.

Ric, why don’t you send Apple some feedback regarding this? I’ve sent loads of ideas to them in the past and it’s surprising how many turn up later in products. It’s not as if you’ll lose anything by suggesting it and if enough people request something similar then it may well be implemented.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 28 January 2010 05:32 PM #60

Stu over at Pro Lost (one of the guys behind Magic Bullet’s Colorista) is thinking along the same lines with the
    Multi touch interface for Color Grading

My only concern using this would be in the past I have used control surfaces that had a noticeable lag between when I make an adjustment and when I get on screen feedback. Especially with a Tape control or a color wheel, it gets frustrating after awhile if you keep rolling past where you need to be all because the interface doesn’t update fast enough.

It would be cool though! Imagine using Motion’s gesture animation with touch control… Or having virtual faders for audio mixing in Soundtrack… all one the same device.

Until then, I’ll stick with my new Tangent Wave panel for Color, it is fantastic