iPad

Posted: 28 January 2010 06:09 PM #61

Some interesting ideas and thoughts in this thread.

I think the understanding Apple point made in another article here is important. An example: I’ve been seeing people talk about Windows PC tablets that exist, mainly mentioning the Archos tablet. Here’s a link with a picture of it. Notice that “ARCHOS” at the bottom and the location of the various buttons which also have text. The Archos also has nothing really to grasp on the top and bottom, while Apple has put a bezel all the way around—something naysayers seem to be pointing out. The Archos is meant to be held one way, with the power and function button on the right. But what if you are left-handed? And are you really going to want to use the other buttons with their labels upside-down?

Apple has provided us a tablet that can be held any which way. If I hand it to someone, they can grab it by any edge and the screen will orient to them. (That’s something PADDs in Star Trek shows didn’t even do. How many time does a character hand a PADD over, and the other turns it around to read it? smile ) The home button is accessible by righty and lefty thumbs. In the keynote, some apps appeared to have buttons on screen in the corners, and that corner can change depending on orientation and where your hands will be.

It may still not be perfect, but it “gets it” a lot more than PC makers trying to just slap a desktop OS into a tablet device everyone will want to use.

Did I say I want an iPad, and I never want first gen hardware? smile

[ Edited: 28 January 2010 06:14 PM by Dean Lewis ]

Signature

Dean Lewis
    http://www.offbalance.com
    "Now that you’re dead, your usefulness to me
    has ended! But I’ll keep your shoes. BWAHAHAHA"
    —The Lightning Bug, J-Men Forever (1978)

Posted: 28 January 2010 08:09 PM #62

I’ve read a fair amount of iPad commentary and it all looks astonishingly similar to the sort of nonsense that we got about the iPod. Nine years and 250M iPods later and you could say that was a success. While I don’t think the iPad will reach similar numbers, I find it amazing how some people can be so very blind. It’s almost as if having been brought up with the shortcomings of Windows and the need to have to dig into the internals to make things function, that people are afraid to accept that the iPad just works.

I watched the event all the way through earlier and I kept thinking that this is the first computer that really does pretty much what most people want and you don’t have to be some sort of computer whizz to use it.

The following are a list of the pathetic, whinging complaints that keep coming up:

It can’t multitask. Well nor can I. In fact we all task switch. Perhaps it’s better to be focused on one thing at a time and not eleven of them.

It has a big bezel. Where else do you plan to hold it. On the multi-touch screen itself?

It hasn’t got a camera. I already have a camera; I don’t need one on a tablet.

It can’t video conference. Seriously, video conferencing is so overrated. This may well turn up in a later model, anyway.

The 3G version costs another $130. Do you really need 3G? You don’t have to buy the 3G one. If you want that, then I’m sorry but you will be subsidising the base model. Deal with it.

The base model only has 16GB. I used to have a computer with 40MB. It’s your lookout if you want to fill your iPad full of video. For some people 1TB is still not enough.

It’s called an iPad. Titter titter, it sounds like a feminine hygiene product. Seriously, grow up.

It’s still too expensive. I hear Staples do a good line in paper.

It’s for old people. Well there are a lot of them and they would rather be out playing golf than wondering what a DLL was, who General Protection is and what’s he doing looking at their hard drive.

Honestly, when will people realise that this will be a huge hit and dissing it does not make them look cool in the slightest, merely stupid and completely out of touch with the world that the other 98% of the population manage to get by in without having an intimate knowledge of computers, and who just wish their computer would work.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 28 January 2010 08:14 PM #63

wheeles - 29 January 2010 12:09 AM

I’ve read a fair amount of iPad commentary and it all looks astonishingly similar to the sort of nonsense that we got about the iPod. Nine years and 250M iPods later and you could say that was a success. While I don’t think the iPad will reach similar numbers, I find it amazing how some people can be so very blind. It’s almost as if having been brought up with the shortcomings of Windows and the need to have to dig into the internals to make things function, that people are afraid to accept that the iPad just works.

I watched the event all the way through earlier and I kept thinking that this is the first computer that really does pretty much what most people want and you don’t have to be some sort of computer whizz to use it.

The following are a list of the pathetic, whinging complaints that keep coming up:

It can’t multitask. Well nor can I. In fact we all task switch. Perhaps it’s better to be focused on one thing at a time and not eleven of them.

It has a big bezel. Where else do you plan to hold it. On the multi-touch screen itself?

It hasn’t got a camera. I already have a camera; I don’t need one on a tablet.

It can’t video conference. Seriously, video conferencing is so overrated. This may well turn up in a later model, anyway.

The 3G version costs another $130. Do you really need 3G? You don’t have to buy the 3G one. If you want that, then I’m sorry but you will be subsidising the base model. Deal with it.

The base model only has 16GB. I used to have a computer with 40MB. It’s your lookout if you want to fill your iPad full of video. For some people 1TB is still not enough.

It’s called an iPad. Titter titter, it sounds like a feminine hygiene product. Seriously, grow up.

It’s still too expensive. I hear Staples do a good line in paper.

It’s for old people. Well there are a lot of them and they would rather be out playing golf than wondering what a DLL was, who General Protection is and what’s he doing looking at their hard drive.

Honestly, when will people realise that this will be a huge hit and dissing it does not make them look cool in the slightest, merely stupid and completely out of touch with the world that the other 98% of the population manage to get by in without having an intimate knowledge of computers, and who just wish their computer would work.

Good points.

It seems logical the improvements to the iPad HW and SW functionality will be incremental just as it has been with the iPhone. If AAPL puts everything we ever wanted in the first generation, what’s to keep from upgrading down the line?

Signature

Mully

Posted: 28 January 2010 10:07 PM #64

... I kept thinking that this is the first computer that really does pretty much what most people want and you don’t have to be some sort of computer whizz to use it ...

Exactly.  Apple is leading consumers into a new digital lifestyle.  If successful, within a decade, I see iPad as the only computer that a consumer would use.  For hardcore game playing, use AppleTV + TV or may be a new :apple: TV.  As for office, sorry, too old for that.

Edit:  I foresee the years grin  for the mouse and physical qwerty keyboard are numbered.

[ Edited: 28 January 2010 10:15 PM by Mace ]

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 28 January 2010 10:18 PM #65

Watching the keynote and looking at some hands-on videos really helped me get a better sense of what the iPad is and what it can do.  Hopefully some good marketing will help fill the gap for the rest of the general public… though I have to say, the amount of interest in an iTablet seemed even bigger than for the iPhone, so Apple won’t have any trouble attracting huge lines of people to check the iPad out at product launch.

I agree that some off-the-cuff complaints about iPad are easily dismissed.  Bezel-haters would probably drop the iPad after 15 seconds since they’d try to keep it balanced with only the palms of their hands.  The “pad” joke—seriously now.  Mouse pad, touchpad, trackpad, knee pad, brake pad…I guess it only gets funny once you “Apple-ize” it.

Multi-tasking - that’s a bit of a grey area.  I never liked my game apps being reset after answering a phone call.  If I hit the sleep/wake button on most newer apps, it’s just like a pause button.  I don’t know if it’s an Apple thing or a developer thing, but if there was a way to minimize those interruptions, and make an app maintain a frozen state for at least a little while after a phone call or going back to the home screen, that could help some.

The lack of webcam is an (addressable) shortcoming of the device.  Many netbooks do have one, and for whatever reason, people like the idea of slate-type videoconferencing from the couch or whatever.  It _is_ a cool idea, and Apple could have made an “AV” version of the iPad if they wanted.

3G, some pricing elements - also addressable. 

If Apple wanted, it could strike additional fear into the hearts of its competition with the “new and improved”-type updates it made to the first-gen iPhone before its release.  “We’re introducing a special iPad model with webcam for $50 more!”  “We’ve reduced the premium for 3G from $130 to $99!”  “We’ve built-in full 3G support for Verizon and T-Mobile!”  Not quite the same as upgrading from plastic to glass surface or improving battery life, but it could be done sometime in the next 2 months.  Probably won’t happen though.

[ Edited: 28 January 2010 10:32 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 28 January 2010 11:11 PM #66

Amazon.com has the iPad listed, with e-mail notification for availability. Amazingly, there are already a few accessories available.

:apple:

• Posted: 29 January 2010 01:19 AM #67

The iPad review on Gizmodo you reference was probably the most inane hack job I’ve read. The author is clearly an Apple hater who probably was picked on for owning a Zune.

Posted: 29 January 2010 02:03 AM #68

Another article for Wheeles to comment on, Why Apple’s iPad cannot compete with netbooks?.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 29 January 2010 02:28 AM #69

The question I have is this.

Can someone buy an iPad as a first time computer user?

In other words if you bought an iPad but don’t own a computer are you handicapped?

• Posted: 29 January 2010 02:33 AM #70

omacvi - 29 January 2010 06:28 AM

In other words if you bought an iPad but don’t own a computer are you handicapped?

No!  The iPad IS a computer.  It just won’t run applications written for OSX, with the notable exception of productivity applications like Pages, KeyNote and Numbers.  Am I missing anything?

• Posted: 29 January 2010 02:46 AM #71

Most of us live here and elsewhere in the online world.  We’ve been using and enjoying computers for a good long time.  I don’t think one could say the same of many computer users over (say) 35.  For them, it will be a whole new world and a welcome one.  For those (say) 25 and under, they’ll just buy one to add to the cadre of electronics and gizmos they already own.  These things are like people in many ways.  You can spend your time belittling them for what they’re not, (and we’re all NOT a lot of things), or you can appreciate and value them for what they are.  We get to choose.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 29 January 2010 02:47 AM #72

Mace - 29 January 2010 06:03 AM

Another article for Wheeles to comment on, Why Apple’s iPad cannot compete with netbooks?.

WHAT is this hyperventilation over a sealed battery?  Flash crashes OSX, and frankly I don’t miss it on my iPhone.  No camera….I mean, how many of you are using iChat?  And why doesn’t my Canon PowerShot play music??  I could go on, but I think Wheeles covered similar ground.  The only point I’m unsure about is the readability of the screen vis a vis the Kindle, but I wouldn’t consider the Kindle, so it’s a moot comparison given all the other deficiencies of the latter.

Posted: 29 January 2010 02:49 AM #73

Mercel - 29 January 2010 06:33 AM

No!  The iPad IS a computer.  It just won’t run applications written for OSX, with the notable exception of productivity applications like Pages, KeyNote and Numbers.  Am I missing anything?

So there is no syncing or back up right?

If you wanted to import videos from a camcorder or camera, how would you do it?  Adapter right? But where would the data go if you don’t have iTunes or iPhoto?

If you have music you could not transfer it unless it is digital?

The point I am trying to make is that SJ is really pushing this towards regular computer users who are ready to try something new, rather then first time computer users.

Posted: 29 January 2010 03:03 AM #74

It’s kind of the iPod touch all over again - Apple has 60 days to stick with its marketing or define the iPad in different terms.

IIRC, Steve Jobs at the latest iPod touch intro mentioned that they initially wondered if the iPod touch should be positioned as an iPhone without the phone, but then it took on a life of its own as a great device for games and they ran with it.  Is the iPad destined to look kinda like the MacBook Air - a niche-type, “lifestyle” product, kind of an “accessory”?  Heck, just like tablet computers?  Or will it gain a wider audience? 

Y’know what, if AT&T let iPhone 3G/3GS users share their data plans with iPad for no charge, that might help some.  At that point I might actually think of buying one as a “laptop lite”, since I’m not a laptop user.  I know, wishful thinking…must’ve been hard for AT&T just to agree to its unlocked iPad data plan pricing.

[ Edited: 29 January 2010 03:07 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 January 2010 03:28 AM #75

omacvi - 29 January 2010 06:49 AM
    Mercel - 29 January 2010 06:33 AM

So there is no syncing or back up right?

If you wanted to import videos from a camcorder or camera, how would you do it?  Adapter right? But where would the data go if you don’t have iTunes or iPhoto?

If you have music you could not transfer it unless it is digital?

The point I am trying to make is that SJ is really pushing this towards regular computer users who are ready to try something new, rather then first time computer users.

Good questions.  There s/be both syncing and back up.  The way I’m thinking about it is how your iPhone interacts with the MacBook Pro.  The key difference over the MacBooks for me is that it will run over 140,000 apps, and these apps are going to get more robust with the larger screen and growing user base.  But the apps will be priced at a fraction of the apps running on OSX.  Maybe it’s more accurate to see it as a MacBook Air LITE than an iTouch Plus.