How to save $850 on an iPad, and get your next iPad for free!

Posted: 27 January 2010 03:58 PM

If you have a jailbroken iPhone you can set up your iPhone as a WiFi router using 3rd party software like MiFi.

That means you can connect your iPad to your iPhone over WiFi, which in turn will connect to the internet over 3G using your already-unlimted 3G plan.

When do you ever not have your iPhone on you if you’re away from home (and therefore your home WiFi network)?

There - you just saved yourself $130 by not needing the 3G version, $360 in annual data fees, and you can buy one 30 days earlier than anyone else and still surf the net via your iPhone’s 3G connection.

Jailbreak your iPhone and you don’t need the 3G version at $130 more - or the extra 3G subscription of $30/month. Just jailbreak your iPhone, and use it as a WiFi router.

You just saved yourself $490 in your first year of iPad use, and $360 for the second year in data charges. That’s $850 over 2 years smile

That’ll be enough saved to buy a new iPad 2 years later, and a neat little docking station and folder :D

[ Edited: 27 January 2010 04:21 PM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:37 PM #1

In Canada, we can already tether the iPhone via Bluetooth or via cable. No need for another 3G plan.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:42 PM #2

CdnPhoto - 27 January 2010 08:37 PM

In Canada, we can already tether the iPhone via Bluetooth or via cable. No need for another 3G plan.

In fact you can do that virtually the world over except in the US (kind of ironic really), but you still usually pay extra for the tethering facility on top of your monthly iPhone plan.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:44 PM #3

Tommo_UK - 27 January 2010 08:42 PM
    CdnPhoto - 27 January 2010 08:37 PM

In fact you can do that virtually the world over except in the US (kind of ironic really), but you still usually pay extra for the tethering facility on top of your monthly iPhone plan.

Nope, not here.

Data plans over 1GB include tethering. Finally, we have something good.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:48 PM #4

CdnPhoto - 27 January 2010 08:44 PM

Data plans over 1GB include tethering. Finally, we have something good.

Wow.. go Canada! :D

The thing is though, you won’t be able to tether your iPad to your iPhone via cable or bluetooth using the official tethering tool, I guarantee.

Apple won’t permit that. The only way it will work is via WiFi, so the iPad is essentially recognising the iPhone simply as a generic WiFi router. For that you’d need to jailbreak your iPhone.

Signature

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:12 PM #5

Many things are weird in US.  Back home, I can buy a MacBook with a telecom contract, tethering dongle is supplied.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 27 January 2010 06:43 PM #6

I wonder if this cable might be used for tethering?
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30479