iPad Purchase Questions

• Posted: 28 January 2010 12:36 PM

I will probably buy an iPad but I have some question (I have an iPhone);

What is the need of the GS model?

Is there some connectivity with the iPhone? (for example to use the iPhone camera without passing by a Mac)

Can you Read aloud (for example an iBook)? I am handicapped and cannot read easily.

[Title edited by DT]

[ Edited: 20 August 2011 10:53 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 28 January 2010 12:50 PM #1

I’m assuming you meant “What is the need of the 3G” model. If not, sorry.

The 3G model will give you cell tower access to the internet when you are away from your home wi-fi network, and not near any free or for pay wi-fi network.

Currently there are a number of Apps in the app store that enable the iPhone to transfer its photos to another phone or desktop computer over wi-fi. So using the iPhone as a camera for the iPad would be doable, assuming there is a wi-fi network. Otherwise via 3G you could e-mail the photos to the Pad.

The iPad has a microphone and earphone jack. So vocal input is possible (in apps like Dragon Dictate) and text to speech apps may appear (if they haven’t already) since the A4 processor looks like it would have no problem with them?but the apps would have to contain the voices, since the Pad’s OS does not contain native voices.

There are enough voice apps currently for the iPhone (apps that take your vocal input and play it back as a musical instrument [VoiceBand] or distort the voice [Voices] to lead me to believe that a text to speech app is possible. The trick is the multi-tasking that it would require. The app would need to open the e-book file without launching the iBook reader itself. So far I’ve seen no sign that the iPad allows multi-tasking any more than the iPhone does (outside of the iPod music player’s ability to keep playing in the background as you do other tasks).

• Posted: 28 January 2010 01:02 PM #2

artman1033 - 28 January 2010 04:45 PM

Welcome to AFB!

Start HERE!

It is Apple’s presentation from yesterday.

Excellent video.

The iPad screen is SO BIG, I think you will love it.

Many new apps will be available by launch day.

The video is also available via iTunes as a Keynote podcast.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 01:03 PM #3

Yes, the meaning of 3G is correct. I wonder if you have both the iPhone and the iPad together, you have the iPhone connected to the phone company and you have both the iPhone and the iPad connected to WIFI. Is it not sufficient?

• Posted: 28 January 2010 01:09 PM #4

That’s if tethering is available in the country you’re in.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 01:11 PM #5

Canada. I use Rogers.

Posted: 28 January 2010 08:14 PM #6

etienneg - 28 January 2010 04:36 PM

I will probably buy an iPad but I have some question (I have an iPhone);

What is the need of the GS model?

Is there some connectivity with the iPhone? (for example to use the iPhone camera without passing by a Mac)

Can you Read aloud (for example an iBook)? I am handicapped and cannot read easily.

The Iphone supports an accessibility function called VoiceOver which acts as a screen reader but it only works on the 3GS version of the phone.  I have not looked at the new 3.2 software development kit but I would assume it will work on the IPAD.  The interface is available to 3rd party developers so I would think many apps support VoiceOver but I do not have a 3GS to test Here is a link to Apple’s page http://www.apple.com/accessibility/iphone/vision.html.  If you have a MAC it also supports this feature.

• Posted: 28 January 2010 11:30 PM #7

Very interesting. Unfortunately I have an iPhone G maybe these features will be on the iPad.

• Posted: 20 August 2011 11:20 AM #8

Hi there,  I am disabled too.  I just got dragon dictate and am learning how to use it.  supposedly, u can use it to tell your computer what u want it to do.  That may or may not be able to help u, but, I wanted to let u know that it is out there, and I am using it now.  it is pretty amazing, I just wish I understood it better.

So, if u can speak it, it can supposedly find it for u.  I plan to revamp my computer best I can.
    good luck to u
    dan

Posted: 20 August 2011 03:27 PM #9

Welcome Dan,

Keep us informed of your progress.  Also, if u need in-depth disucssion of understanding Dragon Dictate or other products, I am sure that we can hook you up with a knowledgeable person.

• Posted: 20 August 2011 07:10 PM #10

Hello Treehouse and others,
      Yes, I do need help actually.  If u go to my other post, I have a series of written questions about dragon dictate.  Any help towards those questions would be appreciated.
    thanx
    Dan

Posted: 20 August 2011 11:15 PM #11

etienneg - 28 January 2010 05:11 PM

Canada. I use Rogers.

iPhone on Rogers in Canada supports tethering to the iPad (and other computers), but Rogers restricts the tethering. Only some customers on certain plans are allowed to use data tethering through the iPhone.

I suggest you contact Rogers and ask if you could qualify for tethering. I am not sure whether tethering on iPhone requires a certain minimum model. I know tethering works on iPhone 3GS as I have a 3GS iPhone. In my case the Canadian cell company is Telus, and tethering is allowed.

The iPhone 4 can tether through both WiFi and Bluetooth, and the iPad can use either method. I generally use Bluetooth tethering with iPhone 4 (I have one of each).

I have used the iPad version of Dragon Dictate only for some simple tests. It works quite well, but it does not provide voice control of the iPad itself. Dragon on iPad still uses the display and keyboard to edit and use the resulting text material after dictation.

Posted: 21 August 2011 12:42 AM #12

Hello. If you have an iPhone and your plan allows tethering, you don’t necesseraly need a 3g iPad. When you tether from your iPhone to a wifi iPad 2, the iPad gains gps fonctionnalities, as demonstrated in the following link.

wifi-only ipad 2 gets gps when tethered to iphone

Also, you can get audio-books from the iBook store, some free, if you have difficulties reading.