Number of iPads sold in CY10

• Posted: 03 February 2010 06:32 PM #31

roni - 03 February 2010 08:18 PM

I think the unit sales for the rest of CY 2010 will depend on some factors under Apple’s control

2) How rapidly the iPad ramps into how many nations…

Steve Jobs had a slide up in the presentation (1 hour 19 minutes) that said: 60 days worldwide availability of WiFi models

So I suppose number 2) has been answered.

Posted: 03 February 2010 09:32 PM #32

incorrigible - 29 January 2010 02:41 PM

My guess:  3-5 million units in CY10.  I think 10MM+ is a real stretch.  There maybe an initial surge early on, however, I expect demand to drop off considerabely after the hype wears off and the early adopters are done.

Ditto, grin

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 03 February 2010 10:41 PM #33

ghobi - 03 February 2010 10:32 PM
    roni - 03 February 2010 08:18 PM

I think the unit sales for the rest of CY 2010 will depend on some factors under Apple’s control

2) How rapidly the iPad ramps into how many nations…

Steve Jobs had a slide up in the presentation (1 hour 19 minutes) that said: 60 days worldwide availability of WiFi models

So I suppose number 2) has been answered.

That is not very precise.  How many countries does worldwide mean to you?

• Posted: 04 February 2010 02:42 AM #34

awcabot - 03 February 2010 05:18 PM

Charles Wolf of Needham & Co. thinks that Apple will sell 2M iPads in CY2010

In a note to investors issued Wednesday morning, analyst Charlie Wolf With Needham & Company said he believes Apple will sell two million iPads in fiscal 2010, with over half of those sales coming at the expense of the iPod touch. He expects another six million sales in 2011.

Wolf noted that the demand for iPods and iPhones did not accelerate until “the arrival of a catalyst” for each of the products. For the iPod, it was the opening of the iTunes Music Store and porting of the media suite to Windows in 2003. And for the iPhone, it was the release of the software development kit and opening of the App Store in 2008.

What the catalyst will be for the iPad, Wolf said, remains to be seen.

I think he is a bit too pessimistic. But then he is being paid to be so cautious, to lose plenty of opportunities….

That’s just sad…

This product will be pushed like crazy by book publishers alone. Magazine publishers will be moving quickly to this new device. Newspaper publishers will see this device as a means to sell subscriptions and ads. This is the most powerful device publishers have seen since the Web took away markets. This is a second chance device and publishers will make the most of it.

Just imagine your favorite scientific, technology or geography magazine coming to life on the iPad. Just imagine instead of one photo a link to a gallery of photos.

I’m still amazed at the accessories Apple is offering. A full keyboard and a cover that makes the iPad look and feel much like a book.

At $499 this is a go anywhere device with only the imagination as a limitation on uses.