iPad: the media are navel gazing, size-comparing, puck-watching morons

Posted: 29 January 2010 10:32 AM

I anticipated, even discussed the fact that pundits would howl about the lack of certain geek-necessary features, but even I am astounded at the sheer nincompoopery, stupidity, narrow-mindendess and just lack of imagination of the majority of their tech press and blogging acolytes.

Yes, there are aspect of the spec that INFURIATE me (no mini DisplayPort for a start, and they’d better improve Safari so its got tabbed pages), but what’s new with Apple products? This thing is going to be the phenomenon of the year. I reckon 10M sold this year alone. Its huge, and it also wouldn’t surprise me if iPhone owners under contract were permitted to use their tethering plan with their airtime provider to use the iPhone to connect to the internet over 3G, thus allowing carriers to give iPhone subscribers a reason to stay on-contract with them once their contract expires rather than switching providers. I guarantee this is why there are hold-ups in the announcement of carrier deals: they’re working out these details. Think about it: what a way to avoid churn and losing customers! Allow tethering of WiFi iPads to your 3G iPhone using your existing data plan, rather than going off to get a data plan from another provider, and possible losing your iPhone customer in the process.

We’re 60 days away from launch. You really think Apple is going to blow all its news in one launch? You gotta be kidding! Remember how new features and so on leaked out as the iPhone neared launch date? This will be no different. New apps, new features, new options.. this is just the beginning.

The real iPad OS will shine forth once iPhone OS 4.0 is released (ie. tabbed Safari, multi-tasking etc), whenever that is. And that’s when most complaints currently doing the rounds will be addressed.

As usual, the world is looking at where the PR puck is, not where its going. The media is so busy wondering how big the puck was, what colour it was, how fast it was going, that they’ve missed seeing its right on target to go straight into the net in 60 days time.

What a bunch of collective a**holes. As for all the iPad jokes going around, there’s only one use I’d like to put one of those “alternative” pads to, and that’s to ram down the throat of the collective media whores and suffocate them to death on their own asinine juvenile humour. When you get a CNBC anchor making jokes comparing a brand new device madly anticipated by the entire world to a tampon rather than spending that time discussing the device itself, you know journalism can sink no lower.

Or maybe it was just her “time ‘o the month” rolleyes

[ Edited: 29 January 2010 10:39 AM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 29 January 2010 10:46 AM #1

Tommo, I’m sure the new product that sounds like a feminine hygiene product will sell well. However, the iPad has been pitched as a bigger iPod Touch and not a a super portable OSX box and the street expected an OSX box. To be sure OSX will come in different versions down the road but not this version which means, for now, expectations where not met and for that reason, AAPL was sold-off. Now the sell-off is over and AAPL is free to float with the broader market and at least one analyst raised his AAPL 12 month target to $300.00 on the strength of expected growth and additional margin from iPad sales (even though the iPad may cannibalize some iPod Touch sales).

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 29 January 2010 10:52 AM #2

Eric, was it pitched as an OS X box? The broad consensus was that it would be an iPhone OS based device - everything pointed to that.
    Heaven help us if it had been an OS X based box, because then the lack of I/O ports and other functionality would have been deemed sufficient to proclaim the end of Apple and Jobs’ resignation rolleyes

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

• Posted: 29 January 2010 10:56 AM #3

I am not sure Tommo but I would assume that Safari would have “paging” like on the iPhone which is the equivalent to tabbing or am I missing something?

Signature

• Posted: 29 January 2010 11:03 AM #4

Tommo_UK - 29 January 2010 02:52 PM

Eric, was it pitched as an OS X box? The broad consensus was that it would be an iPhone OS based device - everything pointed to that.
    Heaven help us if it had been an OS X based box, because then the lack of I/O ports and other functionality would have been deemed sufficient to proclaim the end of Apple and Jobs’ resignation rolleyes

Not to mention bears roaring “cannibalization of the MacBook line” if it had run all OSX apps.  I think it’s a logical step between the iTouch and MacBook.  The real surprise will come when app developers go nuts with the larger screen size.

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:08 AM #5

I think by the time the iPad comes it it will:

Run OS 4.0

Have multi-tasking

Have tabbed browsing

have a swathe of I/O accessories and a special dock with USB, card reader, video out (DisplayPort) etc, to effectively turn it into a mini desktop when docked

Have Flash working (yeah I know, contentious, but I think it will happen)

.. and there will be a whole load of new applications bundled from Apple to fill up that empty home screen, apart from your own.

People are forgetting this was demo’d with OS 3… OS 4 is going to be a completely different ball game, and there’s no way Apple was going to give the heads-up to its competitors as to what that’s got to offer until the iPad is actually released, at which time there will be a concurrent iPhone update too.

Reminder to the media: its the OS, dummies.

Signature

• Posted: 29 January 2010 11:11 AM #6

The media personalities will figure it out by next Christmas when it adds millions of store visits to the retail franchise. Until then I’m not expecting much from the media except useless content posted on whether or not the product will be a success.

It will be a success despite the media, despite the ignorance and despite the really poor media coverage.

Anyone focusing on the hardware alone for commentary and discussion hasn’t a clue about the device and why it’s been introduced.

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:21 AM #7

Tommo is UNDERSTATING THINGS.

Let’s really tear this one apart….

1:  Gaming, is huge, HUGE. This is THE preeminent game wet dream machine. FAST, lots of onboard memory, screaming responsiveness due to the custom silicon A4 Apple designed chip, and a screen to die for. Once the serious gamer gets this with some custom written apps, not scaled up apps, they will go bonkers and I don’t see any of the ANAL-ists catching this angle to speak of.

2:  Education. My son is going to college this fall, in business {International Supply Chain Management {{think Tim Cook}}] I reviewed the cost of the textbooks for semester one. $600 for new copies. Then I went and priced them at the digital versions, $275. IF he owned a iPad, and he will, we save $325 on the VERY FIRST LOAD/SEMESTERS books! And that has the added side benefit of being 1.5 of luggable load, VS 12 lbs of dead trees smeared with ink. Once parents get this into their heads, that the savings alone makes the iPad essentially FREE, this will obsolete textbooks overnight.

3:  Old folks. My mother is smart, but 83. For FOUR SOLID YEARS I have been trying to teach her how to use a computer for basics, first on OS X and more recently on a cheapo Windoze 7 netbook. HOPELESS, it is just too complicated for them. Now give her a iPad, where you just touch it, and do it, and she will be instantly doing what she is frustrated over now. This market has the money, the demographics on the older citizens, is such that it is a totally wide open market for SIMPLE and EASY.

4:  SALESFORCES. Walk in, whip out the iPad,and demo the products with moving visuals, AND the new screen gives a wide angle viewing so you don’t all have to be standing right in front of it.

5:  The bedroom. Ever try and balance your laptop in a bed? This one is a no brainer, it replaces everything you do mediawise in bed.

6:  Hospitals, medical. You have a malady, Dr. pulls out the iPad and shows you the color renderings of inside you,with the images in living color.

7:  Pilots and flight crews. Have to lug around huge amounts of maps, and landing information charts. This can sit in your lap or be grabbed easily, unlike a computer that is awkward if you don’t have somewhere to set it down on.

And those are just off the top of my head….

[ Edited: 29 January 2010 11:23 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:22 AM #8

Don’t even know what multi-tasking would do since most apps open pretty quick anyway. (Possibly push notification on email if running Safari?)

I/O: there is already an iPad Camera Connector Kit for USB and SD cards. (bottom of page). I’m wondering if the communication is two way to allow printing, external hard drive etc. Video Out may already be possible since it is available on iPods via the A/V kit.

The iPad iWork App is IMO huge.

The Apple Case is nice and provides good protection when it sits in your briefcase.

Pricing: We may see some cannibalization of both the iPod Touch and the MacBook Air.  But as usual, Apple has done a great job of pricing this product. 
    64G iPod Touch   = $399,
    8G iPad             =$499,
    64G Wifi iPad       = $699,
    lowend MacBook   = $899
    Apple does not need to upsell; the customer does it himself.

Tommo_UK - 29 January 2010 03:08 PM

Run OS 4.0

Have multi-tasking

Have tabbed browsing

have a swathe of I/O accessories and a special dock with USB, card reader, video out (DisplayPort) etc, to effectively turn it into a mini desktop when docked

.. and there will be a whole load of new applications bundled from Apple to fill up that empty home screen, apart from your own.

People are forgetting this was demo’d with OS 3… OS 4 is going to be a completely different ball game, and there’s no way Apple was going to give the heads-up to its competitors as to what that’s got to offer until the iPad is actually released, at which time there will be a concurrent iPhone update too.

[ Edited: 29 January 2010 11:34 AM by Play Ultimate ]

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 January 2010 11:25 AM #9

Play Ultimate - 29 January 2010 03:22 PM

Don’t even know what multi-tasking would do since most apps open pretty quick anyway.

Listen to Spotify or any other streaming audio site while browsing for example.

Signature

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:34 AM #10

9-5 Mac
    Says based on video from Apple that Ipad supports flash

You saw it here first, folks.  In Apple’s official video the iPad, they show the New York Times being used.  Looks pretty nice right?  Well, unless the Times has a special iPad version of the site that switches HTML5 out when it detects Apple mobile products (btw, check current iPhone version of the Times below), THE IPAD HAS FLASH.

Were the demo’s done using version 3.2 and the video using 4.0?  We will have to wait and see

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:40 AM #11

rattyuk - 29 January 2010 03:25 PM
    Play Ultimate - 29 January 2010 03:22 PM

Don’t even know what multi-tasking would do since most apps open pretty quick anyway.

Listen to Spotify or any other streaming audio site while browsing for example.

I have multi-tasking enabled on my iPhone and can tell you its so useful. Lets say you’re using a sat-nav app and want to go check something in Safari or take a phone call. You keep it running in the background, then using “ProSwitcher” you literally flip through your running apps just like you would flip through home screens, click on the one you want and it comes to the fore. Make your phone call, check the web, look up your stocks, whatever, then flip back to your sat nav app and carry on driving. Or any combination of the above.

See a youtube video of ProSwitcher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAVyaNQdnw

Its all about instant access to functions you want to use when you want to use them without losing your place or the momentum behind what you were doing before. You just using the activate pro-switcher via a multitude of available options and up pops a cover-flow type interface of all your running apps. It rocks!

I would not swap my jailbroken iPhone with this functionality (along with the “in-app SMSing” so you don’t have to leave an app to write or respond to an SMS - a window just floats over the top of whatever you’re doing) if you paid me. I’ll stay in OS 3 however long it takes until OS 4 either offers the same functionality, or is jailbroken.

Hell, I can already use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with my iPhone using hacks, flawlessly!

When I see what a stock iPhone is limited to doing, it makes me cry. When I show people who own them what I can do with mine, they’re furious as hell they can’t do it too.

I can’t wait to see what the iPad can do when it finally comes out, but I am 99% certain the functionality we’ve seen, and the data-deals, are just the tip of the iceberg to the final product software spec.

[ Edited: 29 January 2010 11:44 AM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:47 AM #12

Thanks for multi-tasking info; probably will be included in OS4.0 anyway.  wink

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 29 January 2010 12:13 PM #13

Tommo_UK - 29 January 2010 03:08 PM

Run OS 4.0

Have multi-tasking

Have tabbed browsing

And when it ships without those things, you’ve set the street up for disappointment. Again. I really don’t understand the thesis of hope as an investment strategy. Look around you: AAPL is pulling back. After the past two years I’d think that everybody who trades for a living could at the very least apprehend that the street is disappointed because as cool as the iPad is, it didn’t meet the expectations of an OSX tablet.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 29 January 2010 12:27 PM #14

Eric Landstrom - 29 January 2010 04:13 PM

And when it ships without those things, you’ve set the street up for disappointment. Again. I really don’t understand the thesis of hope as an investment strategy. Look around you: AAPL is pulling back. After the past two years I’d think that everybody who trades for a living could at the very least apprehend that the street is disappointed because as cool as the iPad is, it didn’t meet the expectations of an OSX tablet.

What’s your point Eric? If you don’t want to discuss possibilities, then why post anything speculative? The iPad could ship with NONE of the above extra functions and still not see its sales suffer one bit. Hope has nothing to do with it. Everyone who sees this thing being demo’d is going crazy over it. Regular guys I mean, ie consumers. The guys who aren’t are the pundits who didn’t get to play with one at the launch, and just don’t get what a paradigm shift in a UI to your media and data this represents.

I didn’t realise this topic was suggesting anyone invest in AAPL based on the hope of unannounced features.. but congrats on managing to turn it into one.

Signature

Posted: 29 January 2010 12:37 PM #15

Tommo_UK - 29 January 2010 04:27 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 29 January 2010 04:13 PM

What’s your point Eric? If you don’t want to discuss possibilities, then why post anything speculative? The iPad could ship with NONE of the above extra functions and still not see its sales suffer one bit. Hope has nothing to do with it. Everyone who sees this thing being demo’d is going crazy over it. Regular guys I mean, ie consumers. The guys who aren’t are the pundits who didn’t get to play with one at the launch, and just don’t get what a paradigm shift in a UI to your media and data this represents.

I didn’t realise this topic was suggesting anyone invest in AAPL based on the hope of unannounced features.. but congrats on managing to turn it into one.

To me, the purpose of your OP was to encourage enthusiasm for the iPad in the context that the street doesn’t understand the iPad and is wrong to be selling AAPL. I thought the point of your OP was to create enthusiasm for buying or holding AAPL. Please forgive me for not recognizing that your OP was directed toward the fanboy segment.

Oh, lest I forget: my point is simple: AAPL was sold off because as cool as the iPad is, it didn’t meet the street’s expectations.

Signature