Apple still selling 24 LED cinema displays without DVI connector

• Posted: 02 February 2010 08:27 PM

I just bought an Apple 24 inch LED Cinema display and thought I would be able to connect straightaway to my 2 yr old Mac Pro through the remaining open DVI connector I have left. But I spent about 30 minutes with Apple Support with no success. Fortunately for me I also came across Ted Landau’s blog from last summer and discovered that all I need are the two cable extenders,  one for the display’s USB connector and one for the display’s mini DVI connector. It would seem that this Display is strictly targeted for the MacBook Pro and related Mac laptops and the desktop customers have been cut out of an easy connection solution. Go figure.
    Anyway, I ordered the two cables (6 ft each) and I should be up and running end of week. But just having the extender cables available from Apple would be great. Better yet, having a companion connector (to fit to DVI) that could plug into an interchangeable socket in the back of the display would be terrific.

[ Edited: 25 April 2012 10:59 AM by Intruder ]      
  • Posted: 03 February 2010 12:08 PM #1

The plug you’re referring to is Mini DisplayPort—supposedly an emerging standard—and it’s currently present on all new Macs. This includes MacBooks, Mac mini, iMacs and the Mac Pro itself. The Mac Pro is the only one that still offers a full-size DVI port as its second display connector. If the standard does stick, then I expect Apple will eventually phase out full-size DVI connectors entirely. In the meantime, those of us mixing and matching older and newer equipment will have to use adapters until all of our gear is on Mini DisplayPort.

[ Edited: 03 February 2010 12:13 PM by David Nelson ]