What “killer app” do you want to see on the iPad?

• Posted: 03 February 2010 12:00 PM

OK, so I admit it, I’m going to get one regardless. But there are a couple things I’d love to see on the iPad.

- As a Mac admin I’d be thrilled to see a touch-oriented Apple Remote Desktop app. No, not just VNC, but actual Apple Remote Desktop where you can observe multiple computers at once, send packages, run UNIX commands, etc. using an iPad instead of a full Mac desktop with the ARD app.

- iPhoto or Aperture, with the ability to load pictures directly from your camera, edit, and sync projects over to my regular computer over wireless.

[ Edited: 03 February 2010 12:04 PM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 03 February 2010 12:18 PM #1

I also forgot to mention that I’d love to see an integrated web development app such as Coda. One program with a FTP client, code editor, and browser preview all in one. Granted it wouldn’t be practical to develop sites from scratch but it would be good for maintenance and content updates on-the-go.

• Posted: 04 February 2010 03:13 AM #2

I would really love to see a suite of iPad apps focused on students. There are a few good apps out there for the iPhone all ready when you look at flash cards. However, I would love to see a notebook application sorta like Notebook 3.0 by circus ponies. I would also really like to see a cliffnotes/sparknotes application.
    However, I have to say after using remote desktop while balancing a laptop with one hand I might have to say remote desktop on the iPad might be the greatest thing in remote desktop history.

Signature

http://www.theothermacblog.com

Apple In Education, Apple Finance, Apple News

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:45 AM #3

A wardriving app optimized for the large screen. I need one for work. No, really.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 04 February 2010 11:51 AM #4

Here’s a few:
    Sketchbook app with stylus input (Corel or Alias are you listening?)
    Pantone color books app
    Virtual Bookshelf for PDFs; a cool way to view content that YOU made

I was gonna include a portfolio app, but I think Keynote would work well already.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 04 February 2010 12:39 PM #5

I’d really like to see Mathematica and BBEdit.

Signature

Mac user since 1984. Computer user since 1970

• Posted: 04 February 2010 01:37 PM #6

Spot on David, just one more thing. USB for external hard drive and a camera please!!!

My wife is dying for one. An article on yahoo was titled something about seeing moderate sales on the iPad. I disagree, I think sales will explode. Medical, educational, and consumer sales will pull that same curve as the iPhone once people start seeing them in the wild.

• Posted: 04 February 2010 05:40 PM #7

Wacom CintiQ Pen Tablet & Display? Hurry up Wacom and write a “Killer app” or some one else will ... and the price difference?
    It’s a no brainer ...
    I’m already on line to purchase one on the iPad that is… LOL

• Posted: 04 February 2010 08:41 PM #8

Quickbooks! Even a slimmed down version, to create invoices on the go and sync up with quickbooks on my Mac.

Posted: 05 February 2010 01:40 PM #9

As far as Apps, how about games. How do the games that use the iPhone position sensor work on the iPad. You know the ones you tilt and turn to steer or do other things.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 05 February 2010 01:48 PM #10

I believe iPad has the same sensors.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 05 February 2010 03:11 PM #11

Aaron Isaacs - 05 February 2010 12:41 AM

Quickbooks! Even a slimmed down version, to create invoices on the go and sync up with quickbooks on my Mac.

How about QUICKEN?

And a real good sync with ENTOURAGE (from MS OFFICE for Mac)

And how about a good sync with common cell phones (via BT) so that I could dial from the iPad and take contact notes on the iPad while on my cell phone with a particular person.

Wow, if I could have ENTOURAGE and QUICKEN on an iPad, then it might really be able to function as a laptop tablet for me….and I’d actually be interested in buying one.

• Posted: 06 February 2010 09:24 AM #12

I’d love to have a customizable sales presentation tool- almost like the ny times in the keynote, articles, pictures, videos mixed in seamlessly.

• Posted: 10 February 2010 04:12 PM #13

brokentry - 06 February 2010 01:24 PM

I’d love to have a customizable sales presentation tool- almost like the ny times in the keynote, articles, pictures, videos mixed in seamlessly.

Could you use Keynote for this? It’s a pretty powerful presentation tool, much more so than PowerPoint.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 11 February 2010 09:25 AM #14

FlipFriddle - 10 February 2010 08:12 PM
    brokentry - 06 February 2010 01:24 PM

Could you use Keynote for this? It’s a pretty powerful presentation tool, much more so than PowerPoint.

Yeah, I’m going to start making some presentations with keynote and see how it works.  I wish you could link to a video and it would open in a player full screen instead of sized the way it is in keynote-if that makes any sense.  I would like to show a slide with pics and words and only click on the video in some presentations, not all of them.  I’m sure I can figure something out though.
    I also am going to look on the web for some templates that I could use and modify as well.